View Full Version : Type Ratings

ericferret
18th May 2007, 11:46
The new definitive EASA engineers type rating list is now online at

www.easa.europa.eu/home/amcgm_en.html.
ED DECISION 2007/009/R 25/04/2007

Its still full of errors but this time I'd give it 8 out of 10.

Just for fun I counted up how many types I can certify on 70!!!!!!!

I reckon that some of the guys with big G.A fixed wing groups must be over a 100.

I never realised I had that many brain cells!!!!!!!!!!!!

NutLoose
20th May 2007, 05:23
so its back to the CAA to get my licence updated yet again.............. to reflect what I should have, what a stupid system this is, Why the heck they did not just keep the engines separate as before it would have been soo much simpler, as for the UK stuff.......... it now means I hold 2 licences and do not know if I can legally do certain aircraft types etc......... it is a minefield when they keep changing their bloody minds as to types etc....................

Appears I can do over 250 ish plus whats on my UK licence but then I could before........ but as issued no two people are going to have the same even though they should have them the same.................................

Thats all metal Piston aircraft up to 5700kg with a couple of the types and all the Piston engines from DC7 down.......... single Turbine metal below 5700kg no Eng, Plastic planes Engines only and Balsa planes Engines only...........

Of note.. The CAA "New Technology" (but we were flying around in the Zeppelins of WW1) Diesel Engines are now included, you no longer have to do a separate exam to get them on your EASA licence............ Did wonder what the CAA would say if I asked for the group to be added to my Section L licence as I have them on my EASA one lol............

ericferret
20th May 2007, 10:58
Unless you really need to make the changes I wouldn't bother. There are still plenty of errors and there will be more changes to come.
However it is getting better (honest!!!!!!).

I had a nice email from a lady at EASA who says that the process is ongoing and that anyone can comment. All comments will be taken into account at the next revision.

I had a feeling looking at the previous comments that at least one manufacturers "suggestions" were based on what their training school offered rather than on the practicalities of maintenance.

So I will have my 10 cents worth next time. The old cry of no taxation without representation springs to mind. So I pay for my ticket and I can make my points. Something that was not easy to do when the CAA ran the show.

Good grief this must be the first time I have said something nice about EASA!!!!!!!!!!!

NutLoose
22nd May 2007, 20:07
Well they did agree that a diesel is a piston engine......... something the CAA didn't ..... My concern is over my C certification rights......... as its looking under Part M Subpart I.... I will not be able to certify my own aircraft and issue the ARC.......... but will have to cooperate with other companies and do each others....... stupid huh, well as it stands they have not put plastic ones on my licence or wooden under C even though I hold the group with limitations........... there appears no requirement to have the airframe as I will not be certifying the work, simply overseeing the job so i should have recieved it............ will see

ericferret
23rd May 2007, 11:32
Apparently EASA do not recognise pressurised piston singles as complex either. I had a manufacturers group application turned down due to lack of "complex" single. I suppose I should ask again now. Same for the diesel.

Last time I looked there was no diesel training in the UK anyway.

NutLoose
25th May 2007, 02:16
one that gets me a lot of people added a multitude of plastic singles to their licence to get the group, but as it stands do the twin star and as its the only plastic twin you will get the whole lot twins and singles...

NutLoose
25th May 2007, 02:24
Deisel is now included, so if u have piston aeros with them fitted u have it............. i am going to put my foot in it here, but check awn 46 issue 23 if you still have it and read para 3, it refers to a licenced engineer needing to jump through some hoops to certify them, the current one issue 24, the whole para 3 has gone and everything has moved up to replace it, so there is now a different para 3

see

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP455.PDF

ericferret
25th May 2007, 13:50
I see what you mean about para 3. I had an old copy so I was able to see what has gone.

My license has been back twice already for revision and will need to go again. However unless I need a change for work purposes I will leave it for now. Imagine the consternation at licensing if all 12,000 licensed engineers send in their tickets for ammendment.

Now there's an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NutLoose
19th Jun 2007, 12:11
Eric they are looking at yet another Engineering licence..Groan.......... see EASA for latest info

NutLoose
16th Jul 2007, 23:08
bump for last message

ericferret
18th Jul 2007, 17:58
Bump??????????

NutLoose
19th Jul 2007, 00:03
Eric they are looking at yet another Engineering licence..Groan.......... see EASA for latest info

See

http://www.easa.eu.int/doc/Press_Room/A-NPA%2014-2006%2001%2007%202007.pdf

for how to muck it all up again in short order, just as everyone was getting thier heads round what we are getting now............

The list you original posted for types has to go back for changing as the CAA say some aircraft are wrong etc, they will then redo my licence again to correct it BTW...... at least Kudos for them doing that for free.........

ericferret
19th Jul 2007, 18:33
The CAA are having a laugh.

Having had a guidance document on their website for the best part of two years which was totally inaccurate and which they failed to withdraw they now say the new listing is inaccurate.

How come they never told EASA that manufacturers support for the Whirlwind, Wessex and W30 was withdrawn years ago?

I think they have thrown their teddy out of the pram because EASA have ignored some of their "suggestions". Evidence from the EASA web site seems to suggest that the CAA staffers involved in the consultation failed to do adequate research.

theavionicsbloke
25th Jul 2007, 23:30
Just converted my Licence to Part 66.
I hav had to have 35 Types listed! and that is under Fast Track and excluding protected rights at this time.

It was a sruggle to compile, not only for me but for CAA too. Some poor girl at the CAA had to type them all in by hand! Crazy

I thought that they were going to do a one liner for all aircraft below 5700kgs ?

theavionicsbloke
25th Jul 2007, 23:57
Eric

I think the Wirlwind W30 may now be classified as an Annexe II aircraft

NutLoose
26th Jul 2007, 00:01
Hmmm I didn't do the fast track as you lose so much off your current licence, it only gives you current types u work on, mine was the full slow track and I had my licence back in about a week, mind you as a certifying nominated Engineer they said they realised it was a bit of a priority so I could carry on certifying... they then corrected it for bits missing and said they will again when the new list is ratified... the groups tends to be for those that have not fast tracked, those that have just get what you work on now............. I felt that to add what I already have in the future would possibly involve parting with cash, so I chose to get them all added on conversion......... works out in the Hundreds :) This is what my licence looks like these days....... confusing isn't it

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/aircraftphoto/licence.jpg

They have just put the Bulldog on a EASA restricted, much to the chargrin of owners............ someone I know got a letter telling him and giving him literally weeks notice, he contacted D'Havilland Support, the Design Authority holders and they said they hadn't even had the courtesy of receiving a letter from EASA telling them of the decision, but heard it secondhand from an owner... I believe someone from there was off to EASA to ask them to put it back on the full C of A..

ericferret
26th Jul 2007, 09:30
I notice that the Alouette 2, Bell 47, Gazelle and other types with C of A's
are also on the annexe II list.

I am a little bemused by why the Bulldog should have been restricted as being listed in Annexe II does not seem to preclude a full Cof A.

Cant work out for the life of me how this will affect the engineers licence. Will these types have to be added as a separate list?

The whole system is Byzantine.
No doubt it will eventually sort itself out.

This revised annexe II can be read at : http://www.easa.europa.eu/doc/Certification/ptf/New%20Annex%20II%20Published%20280307.pdf

The regulation to which it appends is at http://www.easa.eu.int/home/regul_en.html
Look for 1592/2002

theavionicsbloke
4th Aug 2007, 23:22
Eric

No, they do not.

I have just had mine issued.
Annexe II aircraft can Only be currently certified with a UK BCAR Sec L Licence.

Sec L Licences at present are only being issued by the CAA to cover Annexe II aircraft.

Upon Application you will need to make a declaration that you are actively involved with Annexe II aircraft and have to state types. However, a standard Section L Licence comes back.

Note that the EASA Part 66 Licence is not valid for Annexe II aircraft hence the Annexe II types are not individually listed on the Part 66.

Hope that this has cleared up any confusion