PDA

View Full Version : The man deserves a medal

skua
18th May 2007, 07:23
Tale from today's FT.

Dangerous Des on his recent visit to the sandpit. Squaddie asks him what qualified him to be a politician. Browne retorts "What qualifies you to be a soldier rather than a politican?".

Soldier: " I don't lie".

skydriller
18th May 2007, 08:27
Classic !!

ROTFL!!

newt
18th May 2007, 10:22
Promote that man immediately!!

airborne_artist
18th May 2007, 11:13
I'd love to have seen the faces of the grown-ups who were accompanying Swiss Des as he did the walkabout. The lad who made the comment won't have got off without a bollocking from his Sgt., Platoon Cmdr, Coy Cmdr etc.

wokkameister
18th May 2007, 11:39
He may well have got a bollocking, but he can at least soften the blow with the knowledge that he commands the respect of every member of the armed forces, implicit or explicitly, and probably a great cross section of the UK population. No, make that civilised world.

WM

charliegolf
18th May 2007, 12:38
AA His Sgt will have given the bollocking. He won't have meant it!

CG

A2QFI
18th May 2007, 13:26
I don't suppose Browne would have understood the reply anyway - English doesn't appear to be his first language! Well done for saying it, well worth any bollocking. It will be remembered long after anything that has passed Browne's lips in his complete parliamentary life.

Sunk at Narvik
18th May 2007, 13:30
"Squaddie asks him what qualified him to be a politician?"

I'd have thought Des would have said "I stood for election and got elected- thats called Democracy"

Poor show.

teeteringhead
18th May 2007, 16:54
I'd have thought Des would have said "I stood for election and got elected- thats called Democracy"
.... nahhh - it's rule one for politicians (and QFIs) when asked tricky questions - answer by asking a question of your own......:\

Big Bear
18th May 2007, 17:30
"What qualifies you to be a soldier rather than a politican?"

Erm... I thought the Secretary of State for Defence would have at least known the answer to that question!!! Might have something to do with all of the training that the chap has received. Obviously he hasn't got a clue, maybe because you don't need any training to be a politican.

DON T
19th May 2007, 08:08
I see Bliar is in Iraq, I bet super squaddie isn't in the front row saluting or shaking hands.

mojocvh
19th May 2007, 15:23
What a really nice way of saying........

.....4uck you!!

:ok:

Tigs2
19th May 2007, 17:09
Please please let someone have filmed this moment, even on a mobile, and get it out on youtube fast.

samuraimatt
19th May 2007, 19:28
This is turning into a bash the politicians forum.

Sven Sixtoo
19th May 2007, 19:43
And the problem with that is....?

The Bill to exempt them from the FoI Act passed third reading with a majority of 75 yesterday. How many hypocrites does that make?

May the House of Peers have the integrity to see this disgraceful bill into the bin.

Sven

scopey
20th May 2007, 03:40
You mean the House of Tony's mates? Bring back the proper House of Lords!

lampeterexile
21st May 2007, 07:10
Well said that man. Should be promoted with immediate affect:D:D

deltahotel
21st May 2007, 09:10
try www.timesonline.co.uk search on "martin samuel" and read his article titled "Enough schmaltz about Blair". Sweet - unfortunately in internet cafe which won't allow me to do cut and paste. Enjoy!

SmilingKnifed
21st May 2007, 13:10
Shame we'll never know who the bloke was. I for one owe him a beer!:ok:

Dr Schlong
21st May 2007, 13:24
A similar story was covered in Private Eye months ago; Dangerous Des was in Basrah and asked a squaddie what he knew about politics and the reply was "Well, I know how to lie!"