PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air = Lounge Air

commander38t
18th May 2007, 07:03
According to some information GF is looking for lounges in DOH and KWI :ugh:for the crew to rest there at night instead of giving them hotel rooms, they are aleady spending 7 hours in airport lounges in DXB and AUH :zzz:. And there will be no more night stops for A320 crew:=. They have to spend 6 to 7 hours in the lounge in these airports.:bored:

Can I ask if any of the managers are willing to do these flights or its only for the line crew?:confused:

Why its the crew are the victims of cost cutting?...:{

boeingdriverx
18th May 2007, 09:25
what will happen? crew will vote with their feet...

Very Simple, no rocket science involved here!

bahrain.pilot
18th May 2007, 11:21
IF the company, in all it’s wisdom were to implement a new contract similar to what many airlines in the world has... Staying in the ‘Lounge’ would most likely be more acceptable. Not Great, but acceptable.

As some may be aware of, in some places where there is a decent union (alpa?) and a fair amount of positioning, overnights and/or waiting around in the airport for your next flight, the ‘hourly pay’ will be similar to what follows:

Block time engines running = 1 credit hour
Duty time = ½ credit hour
Trip Period = ¼ credit hour.

They pay would be awarded on which ever calculation was greatest for a given block. Either Block, Duty, or Trip.

This would allow us to do a BAH-DXB-BAH trip and get paid a fair wage for your time. Instead of using 2 or 3 flight credits to do the entire trip, one would be rewarded ½ of the duty period to complete the pairing, which, in this case, if you are on duty for 10 or so hours, you would expect to earn at least 5 duty credits. Also, if you were to position to somewhere only to rest for 24 hours prior to you operating, as it stands now, you would only get your trip period pay of a couple BD per hour... the new way would earn you 6 flight credits. Pretty fair in my mind, and it also forces the company scheduling department to me much more efficient with crewing the a/c. With decent on-time performance, the company can expect to get much better utilization out of their crews. From my point of view, we are not close to where we should be in regards to crewing efficiency... not blaming the scheduling department, but mostly the way they have to work the schedule taking into account known delay problems.

Just my opinion.

IF this were to be implemented, AND IF scheduling were able to be more efficient with the block building, we would find ourselves in a position where we would be able to spend more of our precious time with our friends and family, rather being stuck in some flee bag hotel in the Indian sub continent. Some might think the hotels we stay in are fine, but it is far from satisfactory as far as I am concerned. That is a whole ‘nother issue.

CI100
15th Jun 2007, 23:00
The latest word around block is that the person :ouch: (Beaverland) in charge of those 7 hours lounge rest is going to Qatar Airways.

Good luck Qataries

Panama Jack
16th Jun 2007, 02:19
I thought I remember reading a couple weeks agon (unless I misread the message) that Kuwait and Doha will not be lounge affairs, but rather, a normal hotel.

bahrain.pilot, what "flea-bag" hotels on the Sub-Continent are you refering to? The hotels that I have been staying at on the Sub-Continent are normally the highlight as far as nightstops go. The "flea-bag" places have seemed to be in Muscat (Golden Toilet) and Dubai.

Trader
16th Jun 2007, 08:33
Crew Resources plan their flights and overnights based on commercial decisions. If you don't like the 7 hour hour stay then the person responsible is the VPO/COO and NOT the Manager Crew Resources. He simply does what the big bosses tell him.

commander38t
16th Jun 2007, 10:59
If he only doesn what he told, then Gulf Air can save a lot of money by replacing him by a clerk.

Trader
16th Jun 2007, 11:17
Yes - now that is a brilliant statement is is not!!!!!!!!!

Commercial tells him we have a late inbound and an early departure. So he can either overnight 2 crews with each taking one set of flights or he can have one crew come in and spend 7 hours.

The cost savings of the 7 hour stop are obvious. It is up to the VPO to say NO that is not acceptable and we either overnight crews in hotels or commercial has to re-evaluate their sked.

DesertHawk
16th Jun 2007, 16:53
trader i agree not only up to him but he does have the option of saying this is unacceptable and telling VPO he wants another option due to the impact on the crew....I know this is unorthodox but as a manager he does have some say..

Trader
16th Jun 2007, 17:38
I agree that he may have some input but for a poster to jump and accuse him as was done is inappropriate. There is too much of that on this forum.

Ray Darr
16th Jun 2007, 19:38
...maybe the reason Scott, like so many before (and after) him are leaving is because of the lack of cooperation between the different departments in your illustrious Pink Palace. Commercial planning may be sending these orders one-sided to his department?

Maybe those above him who say the schedule is fixed and unchangeable... are perhaps the REAL reason he is fleeing to The Flying Goat?? ...Commercial at GF always had their head up their sandy arse there!!

His leaving is a huge loss to GF. You guy's will start feeling the pain of his departure pretty soon. Best of luck to you who remain, though. Hope it gets better for you there, because it should (and most likely it will).

…Hopefully Snackbar listens to The Iron "Beaver" once he moves to DOH or he’ll elbow that midget CEO to the ice one day… :p

Latest score: Flying Goat 1, Budgie 0.

mogley
16th Jun 2007, 19:58
Ray Darr,Don't think your 'iron beaver' will be doing much pushing around next door otherwise he will find himself pushed face first into the wonderful white Doha sand.

2lowgear
5th Jul 2007, 19:32
I did my first AUH lounge flight yesterday, and I was surprised at how I managed to sleep quite well in a semi reclined sofa, with the CSM snoring in my right ear. I even dreamed about the Hummer I'm hoping to buy with my new found wealth (BD200/month).

A few hours later though, I looked and felt more like a porter than a pilot, with my shirt severely wrinkled and my trousers spotted with lint from the cheap blankets provided by the hotel. I'm sure our poor business class passengers must of thought just as much about me too. What to do yani.

GF{crew}
6th Jul 2007, 01:36
wow interesting so what shall i pack in my cabin bag pillow and blanke no need then for nightstop kit cooooooooool :-) and i shall smile to pax after 6 & 7 hrs in the lounge just great .