PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored - What do you like most about YOUR Corporate Flying Job?

LAVDUMPER
11th Dec 2000, 02:20
The most recent posts have been a bit boring...

Let's get some interesting contributions here.

Question: What do you like most about your corporate flying position? Aircraft flown? Destinations? WHY do you do what you do?

Appreciate your contributions...

Cheers

spooky
11th Dec 2000, 13:59
Hi Lavdumper, its you again - don't you get enough flying? :)
We don't either actually. Some months we do 70hrs then nothing for a week or two. Depends on the man's travel requirements.
But thats the attraction!! Nothing regular, we're involved in the whole operation. From sweeping the floor to managing the aeroplane.
I think its a whole lot better than scheduled
where we get a decent night stop, have a few beers and the orange brigade never even get to leave the flight deck. But then again...... horses for courses. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

LAVDUMPER
12th Dec 2000, 02:23
Spooky,

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't been doing much flying lately - I am actually prepping for a Citation X course.

Yeah, I feel corporate flying is a lot more "interesting" than commercial. I have a twin brother who flies a Delta 767 - he enjoys it but admits to becoming a bit "jaded" with his fixed schedule.

What type do you fly and where do you enjoy flying the most? Any favourite destinations?

Anyone else out there who would like to contribute as well?

Cheers

west030
12th Dec 2000, 13:31
Hi guy's,

The best flying I did were the ambulance flights out of Fort Lauderdale. Destinations in Caribbean and South America with a Lear 25B. Had a great time in the US. Here in Europe I have my doubts of finding something good in the corporate sector, not very easy. Flying a Citation Excel right now but there is not much flying here. Did 3 flights in the last 7 weeks. That suck's!!

Hoping for better times.

By the way Alaska was magnificent!!

JJflyer
12th Dec 2000, 19:42
Wow.
I still fly a VIP 727 for a Saudi company.
I am bored out of my mind for the lack of flying ... Last month about 9h Total including Citation flying.
This month looks like it will be above average month with about 50 or so hours.

What I enjoy most are all those different destinations that I would have never thought I would go to. And flying itself 727 is a wonderful piece of historical machinery :)

We do have all the goodies FMS TCAS MNPS Stage III you name it we probably have it but airplane is old at 33 years.

Also I enjoy a thick tip envelope every now and then. Usually more than I made in 2 months while in the military.

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 12 December 2000).]

V1 Rotate
16th Dec 2000, 18:02
I fly a Viper engined HS125 around Africa.
Doing about 50 hours a month. The variety of routes and destinations make it quite interesting. Currently exploring the Horn of Africa for a change. Eritrea is a good place. I am based here at the moment. Fantastic coastline with magnificent islands and coral to explore,also Danikil Depression.
My local Email is [email protected]
Never a dull moment.
V1 Rotate

LAVDUMPER
17th Dec 2000, 01:17
V1 Rotate,

Wow! Now that sounds like interesting flying to me! I have never been to Africa (I got as close as Tennerife in the Canaries) but I have always been intrigued with that type of flying. To me, Africa would represent one of the last bastions of "adventure" flying - I think maybe Alaska and certain parts of Western China would be comparable.

Personally, I would be a little leery of flying around some of the "combat zone" areas (including Eritrea). If I am not mistaken, didn't a Lear 35 get shot down a year ago in that area with a heat-seeker? That would certainly add to the excitement factor I guess.

What type of Hawker do you fly - a 400, 700 series? What do you do to mitigate some of the inherent risk of flying in that region? Do you have TCAS? What is your favourite destination in the region and why?

Cheers! I'm envious.

con-pilot
18th Dec 2000, 21:51
Another good question Lav. Let me think about this.

Well, about anything beats floging a 72 around for the government, but there is good and bad about both jobs. However, keeping in line with the question, here I go.

Basically as the chief pilot I am my own boss. Of course I do have to answer to the big boss. I fly for a very wealthy individual, so there are no committees that I have to answer to for any reason. Very flexible office hours (yeah, I know, but there is paper work that has to be done). Unlimited expense account on the road, we get to stay in really great hotels, rental cars (nice ones)and eat in the best restaurants.

Safety of flight and maintenance, no questions asked. If we need it, we get it. If something starts to fail we replace before it fails. Recurrency training at Flight Safety. On the new airplane (Falcon 900EX) total glass cockpit, 3 FMS, 3 GPS, 3 IRS, HUD, Jepp. paperless cockpit and every other godamn thing you can think of.

I only fly 300hr. a year as compaired to nearly a 1,000hr. a year with the government. I flew more hours in some weeks with the government than I fly a month now.

Salary, well, it's great. About twice what I was earning with the government (and the governmet wasn't that bad, $100,000.00 US a year.) Wife goes with me on many trips, this year she has come with me to South America, London, France, Mexico and a lot of places in the US. When we get the 900 she will be going to China and Africa with us. Plus a lot more stuff that I can't get into here.

So after flying A to B to C to D back to A everyday, 5 days a week for ten years, it's a great change.

Of course it's not a secure as the government or the airlines (just ask the guys/gals that worked for Pan-Am, Eastern and Braniff here in the US).

Anyway my wife and I are very happy with what I'm doing now and I have no plans to change.

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 18 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 18 December 2000).]

LAVDUMPER
19th Dec 2000, 01:53
Con-pilot,

You are the envy of many corporate pilots, I believe. Your situation sounds fantastic - nice aircraft, nice destinations, good schedule.

For me, variety of destinations/schedules is the most important aspect of this type of flying. Being paid to "see the world" is a great thing, and those of us who have the opportunity should be appreciative.

Any other contributors out there? What do you fly and what do you like most about your flying position?

Cheers

Century
13th Jan 2001, 08:05
Sex away from home! No guilt feelings.

con-pilot
13th Jan 2001, 08:47
Century, great, I loved it! So did my wife.

Porgy
14th Jan 2001, 18:27
It's a while since I lost my job flying HS125, but I look back at that time with tears in my eyes.

I used to sit in the flight deck, flying this wonderful bit of kit to fascinating places (One trip was LGW, Brussels, Moscow, Aktubinsk, Alma Ata, Dushanbe, Bishkek, Tashkent, Samarkand, Ashkabad, Baku, Tblisi, Yerevan, Constanta, Brussels, LGW) with interesting people in the back (Pop stars, politicians, captains of industry) thinking "I just can't believe that someone is paying me to do something that most mortals have to pay a fortune to do."

Porgy

StressFree
14th Jan 2001, 21:58
Porgy,
I thought that you were getting back into flying. Trips like the one you described are what keeps me in corporate flying, the trouble is that they seem to get less and less. My firm rarely go anywhere interesting these days, in fact its in danger of becoming a bit tedious even though the planes are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

Porgy
14th Jan 2001, 22:53
SF,

I don't know if I can yet. It depends on my company's end of year figures in March, and whether we can sell it for a reasonable price and so on..I _want_ to get back into pro-flying, but Control Panel is denying access at the moment, saying that I should be satisfied with 100 hrs/year in my Aztec (which is more than many get!)

I also don't know whether to go back to GA (which I would love) or get into the RHS of heavy metal and be around more reliably for my family. It's all "up in the air" (pun intended :))

Porgy

Porgy

fokkerjet
15th Jan 2001, 02:02
LAVDUMPER,

At one time I thought that airline flying was were I wanted to go, but after about 20 years as a corporate pilot, I think I made a better decision to stay here.

Of course, it helps to be at the right company, just like it is to work for the right airline, but here is what I have and I doubt there is an airline out there that could come close to what I have.

We fly two aircraft types. The first type is used for employee shuttles, and we fly scheduled flights Sunday through Friday between 6 cities within the US. The flights leave home at 0700, flying several hundred passengers per day, and return home by 1830. As needed, we also fly "special" company flights when the need arises, to move large groups. Flying this aircraft fulfills any desire that I may have to fly for the airlines. One other benifit is that our SLF is always well behaved.

Our second aircraft is an ultra long-range executive jet. This aircraft has the capability to go anywhere in the world with one stop. I have had the opportunity to travel to Europe, Asia, Central and South America. Some of the trips are to cities that I wouldn't want to go back to (New Delhi for one) but I'm glad to at least to have seen it once. Since our business is worldwide, by the time I retire, I'm sure to see many more continents and countries.

In the last 12 months, I flew 450 hours and averaged about 4 overnights and about 107 hours of flight duty per month, or about 14 days per month if you count days. I have 2 scheduled weekends off per month, most federal holidays and I don't wear a beeper. My only additional duty are some Jepps, otherwise all I do is come in and fly airplanes.

I'd be lying if I said I don't miss not being able to have the opportunity to fly airplanes like the B777 or A380, but I do fly airplanes that have cockpits that are equipped with stuff that most airline pilots won't see for years to come.

Yea, I think I made a good decision :)

[This message has been edited by fokkerjet (edited 14 January 2001).]

Trinflight
15th Jan 2001, 04:29
I love all of the things listed above. However, I am now expriencing the down side or...Downsized, re-engineered, and laid off.
Anyway, here's to a new and better year.

Cheers to all,

Trinflight

[This message has been edited by Trinflight (edited 15 January 2001).]

26point2
17th Jan 2001, 01:34
I got into the corporate sector whilst looking for an improvement on Turbo prop airlines..I am now delighted to be flying the BBJs and a 125. The only trouble is, you never know what the company will do next..What are their real intentions?..The pilots are the last to know..I some times think i would have more stability with the airlines..
I'll hang on for now..I understand the grass is greener on my side of the fence,to those looking over!!

LAVDUMPER
17th Jan 2001, 02:32
26Point2,

I have met a number of former commuter pilots who have jumped over to corporate - with mixed reviews.

A few questions: What types did you fly in the commuter world? How did you get your "lucky break" into a great corporate job? What is it like to fly the BBJ - any exotic stories to tell in terms of destinations, etc.?

Cheers

mali
17th Jan 2001, 10:00
Guys and gals, maybe you can give me some tips. I'm a GA boy at the moment flying B200 Kingairs, I have 3500hrs TT (all Command) and am doing my best to steer from the majors, commuters etc and doing some digging on how to break in to the corporate sector of aviation. Living in Oz, have flown abroad and am keen to go again.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what my next move should be, would it be wise to buy a rating and if so on what??
Any pearls of wisdom will be considered (and appreciated) greatly.
Thanks in advance.

26point2
20th Jan 2001, 01:48
Lavdumper,
After spending a couple of years on the edge of my seat in a Seneca 1, flying Jockeys and anyone who needed a private charter, I got a job with Manx Airlines ..Based on the Isle of Man, Flying the ATP as a F/O ..After 2 years of that,I came home to Essex to start the job i've now been in for 5 years.
Today..Yes Today,Friday, i flew my first line sector in one of our our shiny new BBJs EXCELLENT!!..I cant wait to get settled down and feel totally on top of the job..We used to fly the MD87, but this is so much nicer.
I have also been flying the G4 but I am back on the 125/800..its nice to fly 2 types ..The BBJ will be flying Scheduled routes as well as various European destinations. The 125 can be called apon at any time to go just anywhere in Europe and Russia, which adds the variety and enjoyment of the corporate world.Its all a great combination..Although right now i need to move over to the Left hand seat!!..Not long i hope.
How about you ...And how did you come up with the name Lavdumper?????...C:

------------------
Keep on running.

LAVDUMPER
20th Jan 2001, 10:42
26Point2,

Thanks for the reply. Wow - I am impressed by your progression up the ranks of corporate flying. Personally, I would much rather fly a BBJ (in addition to other assorted corporate jets) than fly the airliners on a "constrained" route structure. It sounds like a great existance. I have friends who fly the 737-800 for Delta and American and they love the airplane and claim that it handles very well - although it is apparently a bit difficult to land sometimes - a bit quick on approach...

I am an aviation consultant and a private pilot. I have two airline pilot brothers - a twin who is a Delta 767 FO (he suggested the name "LAVDUMPER" - i.e. drain the lavatory) and another brother who is a Captain on a Barbie Jet (EMB-145) for Continental Express. They love airline flying - but I prefer the corporate side - the airplanes are cooler and the flying has better variety.

I appreciate the fact that you, Stress-free, Cobra and FokkerJet contribute frequently about your flying experiences - it provides others with a view into what it's like to fly the "heavy" iron...

Cheers (and keep up the interesting stories)

foxtrot3
24th Jan 2001, 17:22
Inspiring stuff! Im still in the foetal stage of my flying career (250hr CPL) and had really only had airlines in focus. Not any more, some of the jobs mentioned sound fantastic. Does anyone out there have any information on Bizjet flying in Australia or am I looking at a move?

26point2
27th Jan 2001, 21:14
Hi Lavdumper,Halfway through line training on the BBJ and its got to be the best aircraft i have flown, its so much more stable than the MD 87 and far less complicated than the G4, its a real pleasure to fly. We only operate on short/medium sectors of 1 hour or 2. Its a bit of a waste having Trans Atlantic range and only staying in Western Europe! but i won't complain!..Ive been doing most of my line training with a guy who doesn't get stressed much..I think you know him!..I wouldn't say the BBJ was hard to land..perhaps the 800 is a bit harder being so much longer.
I put up a thread,asking about Ryanair..The low cost airline at Stansted, asking pilots about their work/pay balance and the replies i got have convinced me to stay in corporate aviation!..I love it!

------------------
Keep on running.