PDA

View Full Version : Removing Java Update?

toothpic
18th May 2007, 04:16
Recently (2 days ago) clicked on the balloon to update to a newer version of Java. Since then when my son plays BF2142 game it freezes after a few minutes, and he is giving me grief LOL. The only thing different to when it was working is the Java update. Tried a system restore to before the update was installed, but to no avail. Is there any way I can "roll back" or uninstall to the previous version of Java, on which the game played fine, and of disabling the Java update manager please? O/S is Windows XP Home

Devlin Carnet
18th May 2007, 07:51
Start - control panel - add or remove programs.

Parapunter
18th May 2007, 08:16
...From whereupon you can modify as well as remove the program. Click change instead of remove.

slim_slag
18th May 2007, 08:43
Java is one of those things that you should keep off your PC unless you really need it.

Saab Dastard
18th May 2007, 10:07
Java and anti-virus is a pain.

The Java run-time is north of 50MB, and EVERY time you load it from disk the AV on-demand scanning kicks in.

So I have decided to exclude the Java folders from AV on-demand scanning.

Since the Java package is scanned on download and on installation and is scanned as part of the daily scan - why scan it every time it's opened?

It does help. Not nearly so much as a dual-core processor, though!

The great selling point of Java is its portability - truly platform-agnostic.

Yep, runs like a dog on everything! :yuk:

SD

spannersatcx
18th May 2007, 14:24
Have you got the latest patch? Are you running a dual core processor (doesn't like them)?

Try having a look here bf2142 ea forum (http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28)

Bob Lenahan
18th May 2007, 14:37
Escusemwa, but what does Java do? What happens if I eliminate it?
thnaks,

toothpic
18th May 2007, 16:39
Thanks for the help, removed Update version 11 and disabled automatic Java updates, game now works fine and my son is happy :ok:

Kev