PDA

View Full Version : To old to play with the big boys?

LowNSlow
14th Aug 2000, 18:38
Hi ppruners. I'm a 42 year old engineer working in the Oil & Gas industry. I've had a PPL (IMC & Twin) for the last 10 years and own a 1943 Piper L4 Cub but have only managed to build up 200 odd hours (I spend a lot of time overseas). I've been on a good contract for the last year or so and have finally built up the funds to go the whole hog and aim for some professional qualifications and a job driving big aeroplanes. I have gathered some hope that I am not to old from some of the threads I've seen but I still have some questions :

1. I realise that I AM to old for airline work, what are the alternatives?

2. Now that the old 700 hour route is closed, what alternatives are there?

3. If I have to have full time training, is it better to stay in the UK or try South Africa, the US etc?

4. Assuming I can get a front seat job, what sort of cash is likely to come my way (still have ex and wee uns to suppport)?

5. Is this all a case of sorry pal, to late. Stick to little aeroplanes?

All advice appreciated.

If any of you jet drivers want to remember or discover just how much fun you can have in a cub drop me a line. Especially suited for Luton based bods as the cub is based at Rush Green where I watch Stelio's flying oranges whizzing overhead when I am poodling along at 500' and 65 knots.

PS Quick thanks to all at Luton ATC who are invariably helpful to us little people.

------------------
CubTrek. To slowly go...

JJflyer
14th Aug 2000, 20:03
At 42 too old.... NOOOOOOOOO. I don't think so. You can still have a 20 year or longer career in the airlines.. that if you desire to go that way.

JJ

rightstuffer
15th Aug 2000, 00:42
LowNslow. Why on earth do you want to drive the milk runs? What about ag. flying, QFI, air-taxi, small corporate, para, glider tugging etc? You might even be able to make a living teaching people to fly your Cub. Has it got a tow-hook.... Either way, the secret is to get someone else to pay you for flying. There's lots more fun out there than being an airborne bus driver.

LowNSlow
15th Aug 2000, 11:50
JJFlyer : Thanks for the support. I wonder how much ineterest an employer would have in a 40 something with minimal hours and experience.

rightstuffer: I don't really fancy the milk runs to Malaga and back as you say. As mentioned above, how much of a market is there in the corporate jet / air taxi world? I think I've got enough to cover me through a CPL/IR but I need to be earning after that cos of my ex, wee uns and the need to support Mr. Guinness and his brewery!
As an aside, are there many N registered corporate jets in Europe? If so, is it worth getting a JAR CPL or just get an FAA licence?

------------------
CubTrek. To slowly go...

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
17th Aug 2000, 11:25
Low N Slow

Old no way mate, go for it get applications off to the airlines as soon as you have your ATPL subjects and CPL/IR in your hand.
Explain that you are willing to be a first officer till retirement and consider the bonding proposals. Go all out world wide and try the Asian & Mid-East carriers as well. You never know your luck in the big city so an airline that expands at the right time in your career may give you that jet command even at 50 years of age.

Have an alternate plan, instructing, glider towing ( Cubs are good ) charter ect.

If you are prepared to go to remote areas and rough it out you will get a job.

Airline pay under training and second officer time is not that great and varies from place to place you will have problems servicing the brewrey and little un's bills.

Biz jets can actually be harder to break into because of costs involved in training and recurrent training, so they tend to take rated guys with experience [ That dreaded word ] But hey anything is possible and if you have a mate on the inside or are at the right place at the right time you're in!!

Look into areas that are hiring and expanding with possible crewing shortages, this will help you decide on a license to pursue FAA, UK, Aussie ect the costs vary from country to country UK is widely recognised throughout the commenwealth but the other 2 have advantages in certain domains.

Lastly do not be discouraged as your task is not an easy one but certainly not impossible LADY LUCK plays a vital role as all airline pilots will tell you.

Best of luck and hope to be on your jumpseat on my hols, Wooblah.............

[This message has been edited by CAPTAIN WOOBLAH (edited 17 August 2000).]

LowNSlow
17th Aug 2000, 12:02
Cap'n Wooblah, thanks for the comprehensive reply. Time to get a plan together and start weaving.

I think I'll try the distance learning route so I can carry on earning as long as possible to build up wee uns and beer fund whilst building up the hours on the cub.

Time to start going to the gym, chuck the ciggies and cut down on the Guinness! Class 1. Oh God!

------------------
When the wheels stop turning you're high enuff. CubTrek. To slowly go...