PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Freighter Questions

asapilot
17th May 2007, 20:55
I just got the call for an interview for DEFO freight and I had a few questions. What are schedules out of Atlanta and other US bases like? Would ATL be hard to hold? I see that pay is more like a salary here, how do they do overtime? Also, I've read that you get 42 days a year of paid vacation. Do you use the days by the week or can you use just 4-5 days at a time? Does this include sick pay? Any lifestyle info would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a hard time finding these specific answers by searching.

Thank you very much.

cessnaxdriver
22nd May 2007, 06:41
When is your interview? Mine is June 13th SFO and I was curious about New York and Atlanta.

Cessnaxdriver

asapilot
22nd May 2007, 15:22
New York end of June. What's your background? Also, do you know any of the stuff I was asking about?

cessnaxdriver
22nd May 2007, 18:35
Hi asapilot,

My background is mostly corporate and 135. I have about 2 years 121, Pan Am 1989 to 1991. I have 11000 hours and 7500 hours PIC Jet with lots of international experience.

As for study material, I am using "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators", some of my college Aerospace engineering books and some gouges I found on the Net. I think this will work for the intial interview. If I find anything I will pass it along.

Cheers,

Cessnaxdriver

asapilot
22nd May 2007, 19:31
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm studying "ace the technical pilot interview", by Bristow. I've also gotten alot of info off the Cathay website, as I'm sure you have too. Best of luck to you.

cessnaxdriver
22nd May 2007, 22:13
Is that book "Acing the tech interview" worth it?? Best of luck and since I am up forst I will pass along what happens to me

asapilot
23rd May 2007, 01:28
I think its great. It came to me highly recommended for this interview. Yeah, please let me know all you can. I really appreciate it. Good luck.

Subwoofer
23rd May 2007, 02:13
If you're talking about the Bristow book "Ace the Pilot Technical Interview," beware of the errors and read this thread on FI:
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=95338

cessnaxdriver
23rd May 2007, 04:08
Thanks for the heads up.. I'll check it out.

ACMS
23rd May 2007, 04:33
asapilot: 42 days annual leave is taken in 1 week lots.
Sick leave is additional to that, I forget how much but it's something like 60 to 90 days a year? anyway it's plenty.
Your pay is basic pay, ie if you do absolutly no flying you still get the basic pay. Any flying hours above 84 per month is into overtime. ( overtime pay can be quite good )
Any block flying you do is not straight 1 for 1 block hours, a credit multiplyer of 1.14 is used for 2 crew flights. It is less for 3 and 4 crew flights. In addition you get hourly duty pay of about 30 odd HKD per block hour flown. ( or something close to that for an FO )
I am flying on the Pax fleet on a HKG base so some of the info above may not be correct for a freighter base in the US.
Do some research on the medical side, I heard that quite a few guys are not happy with what Cx provide you with.
A lot of Cx freighter FO's in North America have or are quitting for better jobs with UPS/FEDEX/SWA. They pay a lot more and have better pension plans and medical plans.
And some of the guys don't like the way Cx operate and find it hard to get through the "British" style of thinking here.
Remember you have to pay for staff travel in Cx, it's not free even if you jump seat on a Cx aircraft. Jump seating in the US to work may not be available to you either. So you may have to buy staff tickets to commute to work.
I hope this helps you a little bit??????? Sorry if some of the info may not be correct for freighter conditions in the US.
cheers.
ACMS

asapilot
24th May 2007, 00:16
ACMS,

Thanks for your response. It's a big help. How do you like working for Cathay? Any interview tips?

Thanks again.