PDA

View Full Version : firefox problem

Fun Police
17th May 2007, 15:02
mozilla firefox irritation
for all of you computer whizzes, i am having trouble with firefox deleting all of my bookmarks and it wont open fullscreen. i have done nothing to the settings and cannot figure it out. it wont kill me but it is a pi$$ off so if anyone can advise please do.
thanks in advance.

Emkay
17th May 2007, 18:51
Have you tried reinstalling? It shouldn't be doing those things, also does this kind of thing happen to other programs too?

Fun Police
17th May 2007, 19:08
no, aside from this everthing else seems to be running normally.

Fun Police
17th May 2007, 22:36
well, i downloaded and installed the new version and it is still doing the same thing. after futzing with the settings i cannot figure this out.:ugh: :ugh:

Keef
17th May 2007, 22:46
How does it delete bookmarks? Are you copying them back in each time, only to have them all disappear? Or is it losing individual ones? The causes would be different.

When it opens "not fullscreen", does clicking on the maximise button take it to fullscreen?

Did you do a "clean install", or did you import stuff from MSIE?

The simplest fix would be to remove it completely, restart the PC, then reinstall it without importing anything from IE. If it's working OK at that point, then import your MSIE "Favorites" and see what happens.

shaky
18th May 2007, 19:51
And when you remove it don't forget to remove your "profile" which lives in a different directory and is not automatically deleted with the main programme.

Keef
18th May 2007, 21:02
I just sorted TWO installations (neighbours) who were having problems.

The secret seemed to be to remove all the related bits (Documents and Settings subfolder stuff), then reinstall without importing anything from IE etc.

I copied the IE stuff into Notepad and picked out just the relevant bits. It seems the "Import" routine picks up something that gives Firefox 2.0 and Thunderbird 2.0 the collywobbles.

Richard Spandit
23rd May 2007, 10:54
Firefox automatically backs up your bookmarks - look in your profile directory

It's worth backing up and then deleting your whole profile directory - Firefox will rebuild you a new one when you start it up again. You can then import your bookmarks from the backup.