PDA

View Full Version : Another PIA mishap

4HolerPoler
17th May 2007, 13:29
I didn't realize that anything but the 777's were operating to Europe again -

Pilots used emergency brakes to halt a Pakistan International Airways jetliner about to take off after an engine caught fire, said an airline official and state media. PIA spokesperson Nasir Jamal said none of the 135 passengers or crew were hurt, although the state-run news agency, Associated Press of Pakistan, reported that some had bruises.

The Airbus 310 was midway through its run for takeoff for Birmingham, England, at 09:00 (04:00 GMT) when the pilots detected an engine problem and applied emergency brakes, which caused the plane's tires to burst, said Jamal. APP said there was a fire in one engine but that "a major disaster was averted". Jamal said the runway at Islamabad's international airport was blocked for over five hours, until the plane was dragged onto the apron. At least six incoming flights were diverted to Lahore, and outgoing flights were delayed, he said.

It is the latest in a series of PIA mishaps. The once-respected airline has been beset by worries over plane safety and its finances. In March, PIA temporarily slashed its flights to Europe by nearly 50% after the European Union barred most of its planes due to safety concerns.

Earlier this month, a government official told Pakistan's parliament that pilots of a PIA plane that crashed last year, killing all 45 people on board, took off despite knowing the right engine was not working properly. An air force inquiry into the July 2006 crash of the Fokker F-27 turboprop on a domestic flight also highlighted shortcomings in maintenance of the 27-year old plane, parliamentary secretary for defence, Tanvir Hussain, told lawmakers.

groundhogbhx
17th May 2007, 13:53
The a/c belongs to Saga and has been operating for PIA since just after the ban on their own A310's.

kingair9
17th May 2007, 15:32
The a/c belongs to Saga and has been operating for PIA since just after the ban on their own A310's.

Great - using a 2.5-year-old 2nd class Turkish carrier with 3 planes (1x 300B2K-3C, 2x A310-304) really assures me of PIA'a quality approach...

:bored:

ISO100
17th May 2007, 16:20
Kingair

Your evidence for making such a comment about Saga is what?

Or are you saying that any new airline especially one that is Turkish is bound to be suspect in some way?

kingair9
17th May 2007, 16:46
@ ISO100

Granted - my "evidence" for this is not professional but an imho decent knowloedge of the Turkish airline market. We had that many incidents, rumours and "press scandals" (press making a scandal of nothing) here in GER about TC-airlines that I started researching a bit more than usual about them just our of curiosity.

For the record: Saga has NO whatsoever negative record such as ban from EU airspace etc. I have NOT flown on one of their aircrafts.

However, their rep among qualified ground staff, ATC etc. here is not rpt not one of the best. And when I mean "qualified" staff, I do not mean passenger internet forums and such.

Fried_Chicken
17th May 2007, 18:14
In addition to the trio of Airbii (plural of Airbus?), Saga also operate a B737-400 which is currently based in the UK & on lease to Air Malta.

When do PIA hope to get their own A310's & B743's allowed back into UK airspace (if ever)?

FC

lotman1000
18th May 2007, 17:02
Airbi, surely, as the plural......

I don't know the 777; presumably "emergency brakes" is just hard braking using the usual equipment, perhaps with reverse thrust?

Or is there a drop down anchor in the tail?