PDA

View Full Version : Qantas chair Margaret Jackson to retire

Ref + 10
17th May 2007, 12:46
Thursday May 17 22:16 AEST
Qantas chairman Margaret Jackson will retire at the company's annual general meeting, the airline announced.

Ms Jackson and other Qantas directors have been under pressure to quit since an $11.1 billion takeover bid for the airline by Airline Partners Australia failed earlier this month.

The Qantas board had supported the takeover bid.

A Qantas spokeswoman said Ms Jackson had informed the board on Thursday that she would retire from the board when her term expires at this year's AGM, which is expected to be in November.

"An announcement will be made tomorrow confirming ongoing board and management decision on Qantas' plans for the future," the spokeswoman said.

Ms Jackson first joined the Qantas board in 1992 and has been chairman of the company since August 2000.

She was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in 2003.

Before becoming a professional company director in 1992, Ms Jackson was a partner in KPMG Peat Marwick's management consulting division.

Ms Jackson has served on the boards of several companies, including Southcorp, John Fairfax Holdings, Pacific Dunlop, Telecom Australia (now Telstra) and the Australian Wool Corporation.

İAAP 2007

Angle of Attack
17th May 2007, 13:23
Well it is not surprising.... her position has been untenable since the collapse, regardless of all the discussion here regarding her refusing to resign, of course she was going to wait a little while, I mean even a Welder's Dog saw it coming, its not rocket science. Let her be the first domino to initiate the collapse :ok:

But I wouldnt celebrate regarding the collapse I would be guessing they are going to announce some agressive changes to the company, now they dont have all the money they were expecting. Maybe not soon but at least in the next few months, who knows... But it's good she's gone anyway! haha!:}