PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia eyeing Adelaide, Melbourne

Thylacine
17th May 2007, 09:23
SMH May 17, 2007 - 5:59PM
Asia's biggest low cost airline - Air Asia - is eyeing Adelaide and Melbourne as new destinations for its new medium to long haul carrier.
Air Asia X will announce its entry point into Australia in July.
An offshoot of the highly successful, no frills, high frequency Air Asia brand - it will begin flights between Australia and Malaysia in September, Chief Executive Officer Tony Fernandes said on Thursday.
"My two favourite routes are Adelaide and (Avalon) Melbourne," Fernandes said.
"Maybe we will go to both.
"I would love to repay their faith in us, especially South Australia."
The new carrier will fly from Malaysia to Australia, Japan, Korea, China, Europe and the Middle East.
"Our philosophy is to get the fare as low as possible," he said at his airline base in Setang Airport.
"We are not appealing to the corporate market, we are appealing to the market that has never flown."
The company, due to announce its new chief executive next week, has ordered 15 new Airbus A330 aircraft which are due to be on line from September next year.
"There's no turning back," he said.
"We have launched that (Air Asia X), we have got staff, we have got one plane, 15 planes (on order), we are actively looking for routes."
Fernandes expected return flights between Australia and Malaysia would cost around 800-900 Malaysian Ringgit (A$285-320) return, with two flights daily.
He said his preferred first flight for the new carrier would be to Australia.
"If we get the pricing right there is no reason why we can't do two (flights) a day from KL (Kuala Lumpur)."
Australia's low cost carriers were "kidding themselves" with their fares saying they were "not really low cost," he said.
Since its launch in 2001, Air Asia has flown more than 20 million passengers around the region for prices as low as US 99 cents.
"We want to be the lowest cost product," he said.
"I don't see the fares being particularly low (in Australia).
"I would imaging that to Australia we will be doing an airfare of 800-900 ringgit return."
He explains that the Air Asia X medium to long haul flights would be a "different experience," with only limited seating allocations and passengers likely to pay for food and baggage requirements.
Fernandes said the South Australian government had approached the company about its plans to fly to Australia, which he expected would open the country up to 600 million South-East Asians for travel.
"Over 600 million South-East Asian people will be flying ... to KL then catch X to Australia," he said.
"They will fly from Cambodia, they will fly from Vietnam."
He ruled out Sydney Airport as a potential destination.
"I think Kingsford Smith is an expensive airport... I'd look at Newcastle before I go to Sydney."
Battling the effects of the tsunami, skyrocketing fuel prices and terrorism, Fernandes has turned the company into a 4.5 billion ringgit ($A1.6 billion) success, after buying a debt-laden Air Asia five years ago for just 36 Australian cents.
The former music industry businessman bought the airline three days before the September 11 terrorist attack in the US.
"It was a great introduction because from that day there has been nothing but strife," Fernandes said
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where will it end and so much for Jetstar's Low Cost model?

Buster Hyman
17th May 2007, 10:18
"Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!"

Here we go again!:rolleyes:

Taildragger67
17th May 2007, 11:03
from that day there has been nothing but strife

Great line!

aulglarse
17th May 2007, 12:24
Anyone know of their T & C's on offer?

Going Boeing
17th May 2007, 12:46
I don't believe that they will set up an OZ base. Crews will fly out of KL.

Dixons Cider
17th May 2007, 13:57
Is it just me, or is does aviation seem to be hell bent on cheaper and nastier these days, fuel costs going up, fares going down.
Joe Public must be rubbing his hands together.... one day he'll realise that its not all about paying the lowest price possible. Air travel should never be regarded as a bus service.

rant over.

Taildragger67
17th May 2007, 14:02
I'd tend to agree but I fear that argument was lost in the early-1970s when the Aerospatiale facilities near Toulouse were turned over to an organisation called "Airbus"...

... and this is not a comment on their products - more any philosophy behind the name.

YesTAM
17th May 2007, 21:36
"Cheaper and nastier"???? Well at least it beats the "Expensive and nastier" product provided by Qantas.

I know of no one who is paying with their own money who will fly QF internationally. They all say that cabin staff are totally discouraged and disengaged.

Around the table last week, it appears that the latest way to Europe to find favour is Thai, with an overnight in Bangkok. Cuts the trip into two manageable chunks. Britain is off the menu because of Heathrow, crowding and cost. Favourite destination is now Zurich then train/car/ domestic flight onwards.

Wondering about joining my brother in Venice for a week or so, or Cappodocia to see Susan, or Arezzo to see Alison (and you shut up millski)

But then again we are just old farts with time on our hands.

Howard Hughes
17th May 2007, 21:41
"Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!"
Bloody penguins, they never give up do they?;)
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/penguin.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/penguin.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/penguin.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/penguin.gif

Buster Hyman
17th May 2007, 22:57
Now, now Howard. I hope you don't over extend your sense of humour in a SYD vs MEL style debate!!:=

;)