PDA

View Full Version : EK... certain destinations?

downwindabeam
17th May 2007, 02:29
Hey,

I was wondering if for you guys flying for EK, you guys happen to fly to neighboring arab countries?... Do you do Teheran, Medina, Demascus, Beirut trips ? Or is it strictly Aussie land and Europe?

If you do, do you feel any safety issues as for americans at those overnights?

Thanks!

-downwindabeam

ShockWave
17th May 2007, 03:22
check out www.emirates.com schedule for all your answers.

as for americans... you would have to ask one.
I will point out though that Americans aren't the only people in the world capable of being blown up.

If the question is, are our security concerns as pilots greater when operating into our local neighbouring countries than else where? My answer would have to be generally no. However the unannounced fly overs and bombings by the Izraelie airforce is another matter entirely.

Fluke
17th May 2007, 03:57
None of the places you mention are layovers.

Who are Americans :rolleyes:

southflyer
17th May 2007, 05:54
Well, most of the near destinations from Dubai are in the US embassy's list of "f*&%ed up" places to go... but usually nothing ever happens.... maybe a little grief from the "international" crews....that's all...

Blah...

johnnyramjet
17th May 2007, 06:23
Downwindabeam, As a former pilot for a US major airline I can assure you flying in this part of the world is safe. I lived in the US for 30yrs and in that time I knew 1 pilot that was shot and killed in Houston and 1 cabin crew killed in 911. I remember reading in the news of a female cabin crew at NWA murded in Detroit and a US Airways cabin crew murdered by her boyfriend in CLT. I am sure there are many more. I don't know of this ever happening in the ME.
When you live in the US you seem to be desensitized to the violence there. CNN seems to make the whole ME look like a war zone which it is not. I have been to all the places you asked about except Medina, I find most people to be friendly.
The 2 overnights I would say are the most dangerous are Lagos and NY, however if you are smart you should not have a problem.

BigGeordie
17th May 2007, 07:15
The problems in these places are nothing compared to the grief certain passport holders get going into America. A two hour chat with immigration is not uncommon in the land of the free, regardless of how many times that individual has already been through JFK.

jumbo1
17th May 2007, 09:40
Thylakoid,
I would imagine that you didn't think your post through very clearly. What a silly comment to make chap!. What about the troubles in Northern Ireland for example? Should you just remove the Protestants and the Catholics?
The world is a little more complex than that - there are small minorities in all parts of the world that are radical extremists in whatever form that cause trouble for everyone. The middle East Region is safe to fly in for all nationalities and as a company I have found everyone to be reasonably tolerant of each others backgrounds,religions etc. There may be exceptions of course...
Happy landings

Al Fakhem
17th May 2007, 10:58
Jumbo 1: I think you might want to catch up with today's situation in Northern Ireland. It's not the IRA planting bombs in London any more :=

4HolerPoler
17th May 2007, 12:27
Thread closed. Attracting freaks like flies to a steaming turd.

4HP