PDA

View Full Version : I got an interview!

Glacier1900
16th May 2007, 21:25
I got my 1st interview! Just had to share! Excited but seems very surreal.

grundog
16th May 2007, 21:33
SO, 31 July SFO (odd as I'm in Calgary!).
Anyone else?
Dreading the interview! But getting that email was one of the happiest moments of my life! :ok:
4000TT
1700PIC
800 Multi PIC
2500Multi Turbine

Glacier1900
16th May 2007, 23:49
Nice, congrats dude! Also 31st SFO for SO position, hopefully see you there.

2400TT
800PIC
1500 Multi Turbine

ZS-LMI
18th May 2007, 09:21
Going form one next month. Some good info here. Congrats:D

Have also been reading some other posts that don't paint a good pic of CX:eek:

Cruiseclimb
18th May 2007, 14:26
Congratulations !!! I appreciate you posting the hours you have. Good luck! :ok:

cessnaxdriver
22nd May 2007, 06:55
I got one for DEFO in SFO June 13th. Anyone else going that day?

axeman1011
22nd May 2007, 22:54
Well, close. My interview is June 12th at SFO so I'll be coming in on the 11th and bugging out of there as soon as it's over. I'll be the guy who will have done almost no prep but going just to say I did and gave it a shot. Too many shady stories about this place on the forums, especially from the guys who work there..............

morenof
23rd May 2007, 22:03
HELLO!! got the call plus email yesterday morning. going to london on july 19th for initial DESO. anybody going same date?

morenof
23rd May 2007, 22:38
Updating my previous post....

Currently flying the B1900 Captain position with 3000TT, 2300 PIC, 700 Turboprop, 1600 ME. My initial application to CX was submitted 4 years ago!!! I almost could not believe it when they called me.

cessnaxdriver
23rd May 2007, 23:18
Congrats, at least you have alot more time to prep! I'll pass along anything I can after my interview.

Cheers,

Cessnaxdriver

morenof
24th May 2007, 00:38
ok thanks and good luck!!!

rjmore
24th May 2007, 06:35
Why waste the money on a hotel in SFO if your heart isn't in it? There isn't much of a chance without a lot of prep so it is really just a waste of time and money.
On a side note, I wouldn't read too much into the posts on an anonymous forum. Ever notice how a lot of posts get backers on the band wagon with only one post and the same writing style as the original poster????
I'd go play some golf or something you enjoy and open the slot up to someone that really wants it.

axeman1011
24th May 2007, 22:55
Well, there's one thing I've learned in life, and that is to never pass up an opportunity, especially a career one. I wish to find out for myself how good or bad Cathay is by giving the interview a shot. I won't be spending 6 months of my life on interview prep though as I already have a steady job that I really enjoy. That's all I meant to say.........

rjmore
25th May 2007, 05:02
Fair enough, just be aware that without the prep it may not be a very pleasant experience. Of course a lot depends on where you did your training etc. For me it was all stuff I knew but hadn't looked at in a long time so it was refresher. For someone that has not studied a lot of aero. etc. it will be tough to learn it from the beginning. If you have a strong background and do some company research you could pull it off with minimal study.

Good luck!

cessnaxdriver
14th Jun 2007, 05:08
Morenof,

Hey, just had my initial interview with Cathay in San Fran. The whole experience was very nice. Showed up and had the 30 minute exam. (I studied 'Aerodynamics for Naval Aviatiors", Meteorology, and info on Cathay).

The exam was basic aerodynaimics , nothing tricky.

The personnel interview was friendly, one guy reviewed my entire career and personnal aspirations and the other one was a technical interview. (mostly aerodynaimcs and meteorolgy). Over all, I say sudy those topics and relax and enjoy.

Cheers and good luck,

Cessnaxdriver

cessnaxdriver
14th Jun 2007, 05:16
Axeman1011,

how did it got for ya in SFO? I had a positive experience with it. Let me know if you get the invite to Hong Kong

Cheers,

Cessnaxdriver

morenof
15th Jun 2007, 12:21
ok thanks for the tips. I am pretty much going over the material you have mentioned except the naval aviators book, which I will get sooner or later. good luck!

junior_man
15th Jun 2007, 12:58
Don't read too much into the complaining on pprune. Job is great. Some things are different but I am glad I came here, so are my friends.
If you are not willing to prep, don't waste your time.Better yet, do some work and take the opportunity. After you go to HK you may form your own opinion about CX. They will be very nice and treat you well in the interviews. Never pass up the chance. Biggest thing that determines how well you like it here is you.
Remember when you go, half the interview is tech. The other half is HR. So be ready to talk about yourself and explain why you want to work at CX and why you want to go to HKG. You will be glad you made the effort. And if you decide CX isn't right for you and you don't want the job, that is far better than deciding you would really like the job but they don't want you because you showed up poorly prepared.

chatra69
26th Jun 2007, 17:57
I got a call and a email for an interview in New York for the Freighter Fleet First Officer position. I have around 8000 hrs with 3000 hrs Jet Pic. Do you guys feel like one month is enough time to study for this interview? I was reading one guys post to someone else and he was saying not to waste his time. I live in Southern California and work for a good company as a Captain on the EMB-145. Should I give it the old college, try or pass on it. What do ya all think? Thanks

cessnaxdriver
26th Jun 2007, 18:16
Hello, We are neighbors! I live in Northern California and interviewed on the 13thof June. I could not get "Handling the Big Jets" by Davies in time, but I used "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" and info on Cathay and managed to get invited to Hong Kong for phase 2. So with those you should be fine . Interview was friendly and relaxing. short 30 question multiple test (on Aerodynamics) and a two person interview. I say go for it. Corporate is starting to suck!

Good Luck,

Cessnaxdriver

junior_man
26th Jun 2007, 23:13
Depends on what you want in life. Do you want to live in SoCal an fly an RJ? Or fly all over the world in a widebody?
Be ready for some things to be different, but this is a good place to work as long as you are ready for different things in life, like new places, people and ways of doing things. If you really do not want to leave California, you may be happier somewhere else.
You have an opportunity, one that is not easy to come by. I would recommend making an effort to do it right. The interviewers will recognize lack of preparation so don't plan to fake it. The choice is yours. But it is far better to make the effort and go to the interview, get the offer and say no because you don't think it fots with what you want. Than to go and say wow this is much better than I thought and I sure hope I get the offer, yet get turned down because you didn't prepare.

texas145
26th Jun 2007, 23:29
I agree totally, junior man. I have an interview in July and have studied my butt off. I feel kind of bad about all the stuff I've forgotten over the years, but even if I don't get the job offer, at least I've improved myself in studying.
I'd love nothing more than to work for CX . . . and a little pain will be worth a lot of gain, as far as studying for a few weeks to do well in the interview. For me, it's seeing the bigger picture, but I know everyone has "a different" picture.

junior_man
26th Jun 2007, 23:33
I felt bad about all the stuff I forgot too.
Always good to be offered the job and so no if it isn't right for you, than to want it and have them say no. The work you do for this interview wil help you for the next one as well.
Remember, everybody studies for the tech stuff (of which there is a lot to study) but it is also an HR interview. Know yourself, know why you want to work at CX and why you would want to work for a company in Hong Kong.
Best of luck to all of you :-) If it turns out to be right for you I hope you have the offer as well.

cessnaxdriver
27th Jun 2007, 00:20
Junior Man,

Well put! I am for more international flying and in a larger plane!! I like the diversity that Cathay offers and I am real excited about this opportunity. Thanks for all the insight, it is very much appreciated.

Cessnaxdriver

machten
27th Jun 2007, 01:58
Congratulations to all who got interviews. Jman's post are spot on. Do the best you can to prepare or don't waste your time (or theirs) by blowing it off. If you got the invite and decide you really don't want to do it (it really is a lot of work), don't just stood them up, but, have the courtesy to tell them so someone else (who want it) will have the opportunity to do so. The process is very challenging and it will bring out the best of you. I got the job offer for DESO but had to turn it down. Not because I didn't want to work for CX, but for other reasons (family).
Good luck guys!

cessnaxdriver
27th Jun 2007, 05:55
Wel, I just got the call for the final interview in Hk. I was told I wold go in September of selected but found out tonight it's next month!!! I am excited but was hoping for the extra time to study and get sim time prep. Well, at least I have four weeks, just wondering if their is anybody out their going to the same interview??

Cheers,

Cessnaxdriver

bushbum
27th Jun 2007, 14:54
Im going to be in Hong Kong for the 8th and 9th of August. Anyone else?

maknwa
27th Jun 2007, 18:09
First interview next week, can not find what type of schedules Cx american based F/O's can expect. Can anyone enlighten me..thanks

junior_man
27th Jun 2007, 18:13
typically two trips a month. about 5 or 6 days each. leave JFK and fly to ANC stay a day or so and then on to HKG stay a day then reverse it all.
Or same thing from LA up through SF or YVR and on to ANC. Sometimes you will only go as far as ANC. You typically will get some A days each month. Available days. 10 hour callout. Seldom used on A days.

maknwa
27th Jun 2007, 18:18
Thanks that really helps..

mwansleeben
13th Jul 2007, 00:19
Hi cessnaxdriver, when are you going. I'll be there on the 23/24. it is a lot of work but well worth it I've been told by a friend of mine who works there allready! good luck.

noelpeyton
13th Jul 2007, 18:03
could any us freight pilots post a sample of their monthly schedule and how easy is it to move a trip around. Is the vacation seniority driven? also is the only way to commute on 1d90s

cessnaxdriver
13th Jul 2007, 20:00
Hey,

I will be their on the 24th Interview the 25th and 26th.. Let me know if you are going to be their on those days. Staying at the Novetel hotel..

axeman1011
21st Jul 2007, 16:22
Phase I went very well. Interviewed by a couple of older gents. One asking personal background and HR type questions and the other one focusing on technical questions.
Been invited to Phase II in september but have a schedule conflict (nothing big, just my own wedding). So now they are telling me that if I decline that first offer and try to wait til Oct, there will be no guarantees they will reconsider me. Nice attitude they got there, so accomodating...... No big loss for me then if they don't call back.

Bwatchful
22nd Jul 2007, 01:31
Axeman: sounds like both your wishes are coming true at the same time. Shouldn't be too hard to make the right decision.

flyboy007
1st Aug 2007, 13:33
Hi all,
I have an interview for DEFO Freighter in London in Sept. I'd be really appreciative if anyone with recent interview experience would PM me any info as and when time permits them!
Currently flying L1011s, 2750 total time, 2500 L1011, and 750 L1011 Command, 27 yrs old.
Cheers, and all the best with your pursuits.
FB

texas145
1st Aug 2007, 15:06
Wansleeben? Would that be "Mercury Marcel" by chance?

BTW 1900, not to call you out, but how did your interview go?

texas145
30th Aug 2007, 00:46
One month. A good friend of mine that was just hired got a call the same week. Good luck . . . and start studying now, instead of later.

HEALY
30th Aug 2007, 05:59
Hi guys,

Quick hijack of the thread but is there an average time period from when you you get the nod to when you start in Adelaide. Our company requires 3 months notice and I was concerned as to wether or not this may be a disadvantage in any way.

texas145
30th Aug 2007, 09:28
Braz, no, sorry, just live there . . . Good Luck!

Healy, some may disagree, but three months should be fine: three to six months sometimes from being offered the job to starting class . . .

Cheers,

MinimaNoContact
30th Aug 2007, 11:51
5 month wait from final interview to starting in ADL for me.

axeman1011
31st Aug 2007, 16:25
Haven't been on pprune in a while but made it to phase II after having to reschedule my Sept. interview because of my imminent wedding. Anybody else with that interview date, feel free to give me a holler...... Good luck to all!

fosterchild56
21st Sep 2007, 04:33
Congrats to all that have applied and received interviews. I myself have applied but yet to receive an invite to interview.

My question...I read a lot of pilots here beat themselves to death about prep for the interview. Studying this and that with commit to memory stuff.

How much is retained after the getting the job and is the interview questions/theory every asked of you again on recurrent training???

bluesidedown
22nd Sep 2007, 03:24
hey everyone, long time reader, first ti.....anyway,
I just got the call for the first interview in SFO on Nov 12! waited for about 4 years for this news! is anyone going down then? anyone with recent interviews to share? please send me a note.
I've got 2800 hours, 2200 pic, 1000 turbine, no jet.

thanks!

sicilian
24th Sep 2007, 02:26
Hello All,

Does anybody out there have a contact number for the recruitment department at CX?

Cheers.

skywaytoheaven
24th Sep 2007, 05:24
Also just got the call for DESO, Nov 1, waiting.....well for ever! Hopefully see some of you guys in Hong Kong. 3700 TT, 1200 Turboprop, 1100 A320.

canadianna
25th Sep 2007, 01:16
Skyway, you got the call for a groundschool or for an interiview?

goldorak-GO
25th Sep 2007, 12:51
try :

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/

look for "asia" then "Cathay".

didn't check if they're right.

good luck.

G-G

sicilian
26th Sep 2007, 07:34
Thanks heaps G-G

sicilian
8th Oct 2007, 05:08
777Monkey,

From what I have heard no cubes or any of that stuff like QF. Have you got a Syd interview too?