PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Gulfstream V

LAVDUMPER
14th Apr 2000, 19:47
I just recently saw a beautiful G-V blast off out of Luton. Quite an impressive site, to say the least.

I haven't seen many of those flying around Europe. I know that one is flown out of Shannon (Westair I think) and a few are flown out of Switzerland.

Anyone out there flying one of these gorgeous airplanes? How does the G-V compare to previous airplanes you have flown? Any interesting G-V tales to tell?

Envious and appreciative for any information

------------------
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed pilot is king!

StressFree
14th Apr 2000, 22:14
Not sure about the G5 but I've just done a course on a G4 at Flight Safety. We are getting one at STN to replace our 125. Decent ship, what more can be said? Lots of quality kit and some serious performance never mind the looks!

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

LAVDUMPER
14th Apr 2000, 22:34
StressFree,

Sounds great - you're a lucky guy. Both the GIV and GV would be terrific aircraft to fly.

How was the transitiion from analog to glass cockpit for you? The jump from Hawker to Gulfstream is a big one in terms of performance - what types of missions do you expect to fly in the GIV? Transatlantic?

------------------

StressFree
15th Apr 2000, 12:51
Lavdumper,
The transition wasnt a problem as I've been flying glass MD-87's as well as the 125 (which was an 800 series, also glass).
Most of our route structure is tedious, Germany, Germany, germany...........
Hopefully though we may get some more interesting stuff with this new kit.
interesting choice of handle - Lavdumper - is there a story behind it?

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

pigboat
16th Apr 2000, 05:28
SFree, were you at the SAV facility? If they still got the Gee once sim, try the under the bridge visual, and the landing and launch on the carrier.

LAVDUMPER
17th Apr 2000, 20:47
Stressfree,

No real story behind my handle - probably one of the least admired jobs in aviation I would think. I thought these people could use some more credit...

I recently flew in the back of a GIV in the States - I had my eyes fixed on the flight deck the entire time. Seems to me the GIV/V would be ideal for long-haul ops. Although the flight deck appears to be a bit tight vs. comparable Challenger aircraft (e.g., 604 or Global Express).

Regardless, I'd bite off my left arm to fly a GIV/GV (although I probably couldn't land with only one arm). Sounds like you have an interesting job having flown quite a few appealing types of aircraft including MD87s and 800s.

------------------

Shanwick Shanwick
17th Apr 2000, 21:22
Hey Stress Free,

Once you've finished playing with all this shiney new equipment, fancy coming for a real job?

How's the family?

Brgds

StressFree
17th Apr 2000, 22:08
Shanwick,
Family great thanks, when I get to see them, living out of a bag these days. Cant quite work out your ID, could be a few chaps I know, mail me.
The kit may be shiny but the jobs the same, never mind the firm! Same sh*t different day.
Regards.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

GulfStreamV
19th Apr 2000, 16:03
Thanks for all the admiration...

Latte tester
24th Apr 2000, 02:42
LAVDUMPER, The flight decks of the 604 and Global Express are somewhat larger than the G-IV, G-V, check the article in Pro Pilot by Clay Lacy done some time ago. As a 604 guy I can tell you that the long hauls in the Challenger are a pleasure to fly although a 14hr long haul in the GEX or G-V would take some getting used to.
Cheers

LAVDUMPER
24th Apr 2000, 21:11
Latte Tester,

Thanks for your input. I have been fortunate enough to sit in the flight deck of a 604 and was quite impressed. Nice EFIS and very roomy. I have a brother who flew Canadair RJs and I found the flight decks comparable.

I still haven't seen a Global Express in action - hoping to see one sometime soon.

Any Global Express pilots out there? If so, what are your initial impressions of the aircraft, and how does it compare to your previous aircraft?

Thanks

------------------