PDA

View Full Version : 27 Sqn Association

27 Sqn Association
16th May 2007, 13:44
27 Sqn has finally decided to set up a squadron association. To mark this event a formal dinner will be held on 28 September 2007, to which all members will be invited. The association is open to anyone who has previously served, or currently serves on 27 Sqn. We are particularly keen to get as many people involved from the Vulcan and Tornado eras as possible.

Please contact us at [email protected] for more details.

Hope to see you there.

ShyTorque
16th May 2007, 20:00
It was 27(R)Sqn (Puma & Chinook OCU, RAF Odiham) during my time; does that count?

Exrigger
16th May 2007, 21:49
My time on the Sqd was at Marham with the Tornado, met up with them in Decci when they where disbanded and joined 12 Sqd? at Lossiemouth, but there are probably some around from earlier days as well:

Formed at Hounslow on 5 November 1915 from a nucleus provided by No. 24 Squadron, No.27 became the first squadron to be fully equipped with the Martinsyde G100 'Elephant'. Although intended as a fighter, the aircraft found itself more suited to reconnaissance and bombing missions after moving to France in March 1916. It wasn't until the autumn of 1917 that DH4 light bombers replaced the G100s, and these remained with the Squadron for the remainder of the war. In March 1919, the Squadron returned to the UK and disbanded in January 1920.
Within three months, however, No. 99 Squadron in India was renumbered No. 27 and the Squadron assumed air-policing duties over the North West Frontier with DH9s. These were not replaced until 1930 when Wapitis arrived. These aircraft remained on strength until October 1939 by which time the Squadron became a Flying Training School at Risalpur. Operational status was restored a year later with the arrival of Bleheims, and the Squadron moved to Malaya a few months later. This proved to be a short-lived situation as the Squadron was decimated by the advancing Japanese forces and disbanded in February 1942. When the first Beaufighters arrived in India in September 1942, No. 27 Squadron was reformed and began ground attack operations at the turn of the year. During 1944, rocket-firing Beaufighters had arrived, and No. 27, along with No. 47 Squadron, formed an anti-shipping Strike Wing. Ground attack and air-jungle rescue duties in Burma followed, but the Squadron was disbanded in February 1946.
In November 1947, the Squadron was reformed at Oakington with Dakotas and, after taking part in the Berlin Airlift, concentrated on paratrooping and air-supply duties until disbanded once more in November 1950. In June 1953, No. 27 Squadron reformed as a Canberra bomber squadron and took part in Operation Musketeer, the Suez campaign, but was again disbanded on the last day of 1957. In April 1961, the Squadron reformed at Scampton and began a 13-year association with Vulcans in the strike and maritime reconnaissance roles before the type was replaced by Tornados in the bomber role in 1983. No. 27 Squadron relinquished its Tornados in 1993, reforming as No. 27 (Reserve) Squadron, the Chinook/Puma OCU, at Odiham and regained full squadron status in January 1998 solely equipped with Chinooks.

Hydraulic Palm Tree
17th May 2007, 05:18
Bunsters!!

Mmmmnice
17th May 2007, 06:03
HPT - did you know that there's a Bunster Hill in the Peak District? Must be a Ch short timer if you've never spent time on the premier sqn!!

chinook240
17th May 2007, 09:45
Mmmmnice,

By the premier sqn you must be referring to 18(B) Sqn, how's the holiday going by the way? I understand you're having fun.

wokkameister
17th May 2007, 19:50
There is only one premier chinook squadron and it has no connection with my little ponies or black tape.
Spent 3 months on 18 Sqn for my refresher Cse -UUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH

WM

Exrigger
17th May 2007, 20:08
wokkameister: 18 at Gutersloh, Gulf 91 and the Turkey relief operation was ok for me (once I got over the shock of driving lorries and camping in fields/desert/next to a bombing/strafing practice range), now 27 at Marham then I would have to say -UUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH

Mmmmnice
18th May 2007, 08:03
I was only trying to get a rise out of an angry brummie - I've spent enough time on both sqns to know that it doesn't matter who is operating the Ch - you'll always get a job done properly (although 32(TR)/that lot at Blackbushe probably do VIP with a bit more panache and kid-glove handling!)

Hydraulic Palm Tree
18th May 2007, 15:53
I'm not a Brummie FFS I support Wolves!

wokkameister
18th May 2007, 21:06
I only know two wolves fans. One is slightly camp, the other slightly base.

WM

nazca_steve
23rd Sep 2013, 18:38
Dear all,

Does anyone know if the 27 Sqn Assoc. is active? If so, could anyone either post or PM me an email address for the secretary? I have tried the address listed above and it is no longer active.

Thanks.

Steve

NutLoose
23rd Sep 2013, 20:16
Steve contact email

RAFRA - Squadrons (http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/squadron.htm)

nazca_steve
24th Sep 2013, 03:42
Thanks but that is the same email as listed above and I already tried it to no avail. Essentially I am trying to get in touch with any 27 Sqn personnel that served during the Suez Crisis on Canberras (either or air or ground crew). In particular, an Air Commodore Peter Helmore if anyone can help.

Steve