PDA

View Full Version : Incoming - Salik (UAE Road Toll)

Wildduke
16th May 2007, 12:50
Here it comes people! Another way to eliviate more of our hard earned money from our pockets for nothing!!

2 months to go!!! And for those of you who are not sure what Salik is, well, its a road toll that is going to be introduced in two months on two locations on the Shk Zayed road. Apply for your salik tag now!! www.salik.ae

Keep smiling while you empty your wallets!:ok:

ironbutt57
16th May 2007, 22:17
Does this imply one has to pay money to get killed???? is nothing free in the UAE????

jai6638
17th May 2007, 02:45
So pointless.. Only makes sense if you have an alternative route that people can take to avoid the toll.. In the case of Dubai, there are no alternative routes.

Thridle Op Des
17th May 2007, 04:57
This WILL be fun, I am sure that in order to avoid the 4 dhm fee, a gazillion vehicles will come off at interchange 3 and 2, squeeze their way onto the Al Wasl and Al Khail roads, then squeeze their way back onto the SZR once they have passed the 'Big Silver Arch'. I can also see the sliproad outside Ace and 'Wolfies' becoming a main thoroughfare as well!

TOD

southflyer
17th May 2007, 06:00
Just you guys get ready for the shafting.....

VAT coming soon....

Income tax here soon thereafter....

It is what it is.....

You are where you are...

Start buying your strawberry flavored vaseline.....

And don't forget to be thankful for the generosity...

hai!!!!

Homer J. Simpson
18th May 2007, 06:22
Income tax???? Not in our lifetime. That is one of the main reasons why most expats are here (tax free salary). If income tax is implemented, watch this place become a ghost town...plus it will be even harder to recruit. I say watch for more "stealth" taxes.

journeyman
18th May 2007, 08:13
I like a justified whinge as much as the next man but come on, people - this EK dogma is getting a little out of hand now.

jai6638 - pointless? The point is to reduce congestion on SZR. No alternative routes? What do you call Business Bay Crossing, Maktoum Bridge, Al Khail Road and Emirates Road?

TOD - the sliproad in front of Wolfies becoming a main thoroughfare? How so? It's one-way to the north - after the tollgate, so a bit pointless really.

Tollroads are common in most countries - what's the big deal? For the majority of EK guys I think it'll probably be beneficial. Think about it. When do most of us use Garhoud Bridge? To go to work or the occasional visit to City Centre. How much time/petrol do you currently waste on SZR? I think Dhs8 is a reasonable price to pay for the convenience of what will certainly become a less congested road because there will be a lot of people who don't like the idea of paying.

Remember the days before paid parking in the busier parts of town, i.e. Deira, Satwa, Karama, SZR sliproads, etc. Now at least, you stand a realistic chance of finding a spot for Dhs1 - I'll pay that anyday.

max AB
18th May 2007, 10:35
The Director of traffic at Dubai police was quoted in GN yesterday saying it will be a disaster. Apparently the first the police knew about it was via the media... Toll roads work in other countries because they have an established traffic system before they start the toll. Have to wait and see. So when does it start?? The official web site www.salik.ae (http://www.salik.ae) makes no mention.

BigGeordie
18th May 2007, 13:34
Supposed to be 1st July, unless it is delayed. At least they are introducing it during the school holidays when the roads are a little bit quieter. Some doubt at the moment as to whether it will be 24hrs or only peak times. I would imagine once it is established it will quickly spread to Al Khail Road, Emirates Road and so on. Really, it would have been better to delay the introduction until after the metro is up and running.

journeyman
18th May 2007, 20:42
So now we will soon have a toll on Al Khail and Emirates Road....

You must have an inside track in the RTA. Either that, or your imagination is running away with you. If it does ever come to fruition, I will be the first to apologise - in the meantime Chicken Little, watch your head.

lomo
19th May 2007, 04:25
A good indication where future toll points will be are the big silver "intelligent RTA signs" are currently erected. IMHO probably not a bad thing in this city as inaction is not really an option!

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd May 2007, 06:05
After spending on average 30 mins "ON" the bridge most days, I would suggest that it is not an alternative.

Emerates highway, perhaps, but between SZ Rd, and The Creek, not really viable.

Glf