PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS and biz jets

canuck slf
24th Feb 2001, 17:50
I tried this post on Questions forum and did not receive any response. I am hoping someone here could enlighten me.

I am curious as to whether long range twin engine corporate jets are designed to, or operate in conformance with, ETOPS conditions.
I realize that they are not obliged to operate to the same rules as IATA scheduled flights.
As regards the design I understand that the ETOPS rules require extremely low sytems failure probablity and I am interested to hear if BBJ, ACJ, GC etc. are produced to the same standards.
Thanks in advance.

Regards

mutt
24th Feb 2001, 20:34
We operate a number of biz jets (Gulfstreams / B757) across the Atlantic, we are not required to operate to ETOPS rules under the FAA, therefore we dont.

Just in case you didnt know, ETOPS reliability is based on both the aircraft and the operator. So while the aircraft may be ETOPS certified, the operator may not have the certification. Most corporate aircraft wouldnt fly enough to produce accurate inservice reliability figures.

Mutt

Oceanic
25th Feb 2001, 13:41
BBJ training offers ETOP's courses as an optional extra. As Mutt correctly says the cert is based on aircraft and operator. Amiri Flight Abu Dhabi have such cert, and I should think various others do too.

Lear35pilot
27th Feb 2001, 04:25
Canuck Slf!

While some bizjet operators use ETOPS there are more of them/us that operates under EROPS (Extended Range OPerationS).

Almost the same thing as it also deals with twin engined airplanes. The difference being that it allows the 'alternates' to be 120 minutes away at S.E. cruise speed as opposed to ETOPS 60 or 90 minutes / 300 nm!

As MUTT mentioned it is not only a question of the aircraft being approved, but the operator AND the specific crewmembers must also be qualified.

LJ