PDA

View Full Version : Journo looking for the "bushpilots" of Maun

mwandishi
14th May 2007, 16:34
Hi,
I am a journalist und I like to do a story on the airport of Maun/Botswana and the bushpilots. Whats missing so far are contacts to the pilots. If you are one or know some please contact me.: [email protected]
Thanks for your help!

12109BYLAS
15th May 2007, 10:50
Contact this link: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

She is living there over a while and a experienced member of the flying-scene at Maun.

Good luck

M.G.R.

Send the email by PM or email please - we can't have email address's floating around here without the individual's involvement. 4HP

Contract Dog
15th May 2007, 11:04
Guys, do you remember what happend when the NZ press got hold of the Maun pilots the last time????? The way I always understood it was "what happens in Maun, stays in Maun" Your words and actions CAN be twisted to sute the slant of the article!

Good luck:ok:

Dog

onehotflyer
15th May 2007, 15:50
Kick the tyres, light the fires. Should be interesting reading.

rabidpangolin
16th May 2007, 07:16
Ah...
The sound of a 520 coughing to life on a cold winters morning, the smell of wild sage, hot oil, old vomit and avgas...not a day goes by that I don't miss it:{
Mind the tail!

onehotflyer
16th May 2007, 08:10
Yeah, I miss the delta itself, the sights and scenery and the animals. I have absolutely no desire to go back and be involved with any of the dodgy operators why fly out of there though. Good chance the vomit that you could smell in your plane was from one of the pilots flying the plane before you after a bender the night before.

Maundog
17th May 2007, 06:39
Go work in Maun for a couple of years, get to know the people and then go write an article...

onehotflyer
17th May 2007, 09:03
Well, maybe he should take a holiday in the Delta but unless you absolutely hate the guy, I would recommend that he flies in from Kasane does the Delta and avoids Maun at all costs. That place is the Butt Crack of Africa, well except that there is more than one :mad: hole there.

rabidpangolin
17th May 2007, 13:56
Me thinks nothotflyer maybe has bad memories of that quaint little dustbowl we all loved so much. Donkey didn't want to cuddle...?:}
Mind the tail!

flybyshark
17th May 2007, 14:47
You might want to try contacting the Operators themselves and ask for help on this. From what I saw this last year there were several occasions journalists and T.V. programs visited and got what they wanted by organising time with the Pilots.

Watch out for the donkeys, they never buy a round.

onehotflyer
17th May 2007, 19:02
Guess I shouldnt generalise. Most of the pilots there are a great bunch and I made a few good fiends. Just a pitty about some of the operators there. All nice and shiny blue and white on the outside to look good for the punters. Little do they know that they are being transported in travelling time bombs. I guess as long as there are 200hr pilots out there whom are desperate to get a few hours, there will always be a few sharks who will take advantage of them.

onehotflyer
21st May 2007, 05:01
I dont think anyone knows what they getting themselves into when they go to Maun but they very quickly get indoctrinated by the place.
I dont think there is anyone left there who was flying there when I was there so that means that everyone who passes through there is a soft cock because everyone ends up leaving. So something for you to look forward to Roons unless you one of those sorry bush pilots for life who never quite made it anywhere else. Anyway, you stay there and keep the Delta attitude/ values there so that they dont get into the rest of the flying industry. Overloading a knackered 206 when you on your 50th day of duty, half pissed etc is nothing to be proud of. Its strange what some of the guys there will brag about though.

Soap Box Cowboy
21st May 2007, 13:13
I've seen some pics, should be an intresting article, some should write a book. :E

onehotflyer
22nd May 2007, 06:45
Didnt say I have done it. One of the reasons why I left was because I wasnt willing to.