PDA

View Full Version : RB Logistics

F900EX
14th May 2007, 15:03
Just got back from the Red Bull air race at monument valley in Arizona. It was my first visit to an air race and to be perfectly frank I found it to be nothing short of spectacular.

The venue was quite perfect (and so was the weather)... I would not be surprised if this air race series eventually gets as big as other forms of motor racing such as F1 in the future. The crowd was hugely enthusiastic and became increasingly motivated towards the end of the race.

Couple of questions for any of you guys in the know -

How do they move so much equipment around the world (aircraft included), do they crate everything to each venue ? The portable control tower is a decent amount of airfreight on its own. They also had their Swiss registered BK 105 and a Bell 206.

Can this be a profitable excercise considering the fact that most venues are free of charge ?

Just curious really as it most impressive

I am very impressed at the level of investment in the race series, for example, Redbull built a new Runway for the Navajo indians just so they could use it for the race at Monument Valley! Amazingly generous if you ask me.

ppheli
15th May 2007, 23:10
From Pilot mag article dated 2nd May.... you'll see that we have Navajo Indians too, out in the east end of London......

02/05/2007

London will host the UK round of the 2007 Red Bull Air Race World Series in Docklands on 28 and 29 July, it was announced today - the first time a flying event of this nature has gained the necessary approvals to take place in the city.

The news follows more than a year of complex negotiations and staging the race over a course on the Thames towards the east of the city, between the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf and the Greenwich Peninsula, home to The O2 (formerly the Millennium Dome), will be a mammoth task. It is likely to include a purpose-built runway and pits area constructed on wasteland, while barges will be anchored in the Thames to mount the 20-metre the 'air gates' around which the race will take place on a winding course.

The major viewing area will be in front of the O2 with a grandstand for 10,000, plus there will be a standing area for a further 13,000; the second main viewing area will be at Peruvian Wharf where there will be a second grandstand for 11,000.

Tickets for the qualifying sessions on Saturday 28 July and race day on Sunday 29 July will cost £20 and can be purchased on line from 9am on 17 May.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone said: "'The London Red Bull Air Race is another exciting addition to the capital's events calendar and will have the wonderful backdrop of the river Thames and the London skyline."

Two races have been held in the series so far this year and it is currently being led by UK pilot Paul Bonhomme (who flies a 747 for a living); the next race will be in Monument Valley, Utah, on 11 and 12 May.

F900EX
16th May 2007, 14:15
Tks for that. I guess they will make enough from ticket sales to pay for part of their costs !

saylogistics
11th Aug 2009, 10:52
"Just got back from the Red Bull air race at monument valley in Arizona. It was my first visit to an air race and to be perfectly frank I found it to be nothing short of spectacular." air race and not so spectacular. how could you tell that?

logistics madrid (http://www.agl-logistics.com)