PDA

View Full Version : Making contact...

Blueskyrich
14th May 2007, 13:59
Hello everyone,

Hope that someone on here may be able to help.

I'm looking to make a very, very initial contact with a few airlines around the UK, on the path to getting that elusive call - at this point though, I must stress that it isn't for the usual 'gizzajob' routine as that would be wasting a lot of people's time as I'm not at that stage yet!

Now, I've looked at places like PPJN for details of contacts (Chief Pilots, Heads of Recruitment etc.), but to be honest, the details on offer do seem somewhat patchy and in some cases the data is quite old.

Is there a known and reliable place where I can begin to collate some names and addresses, or is it a case of old-fashioned cold-calling to find out who I would be best writing to?

Many thanks,
Blueskyrich

Global Pilot
17th May 2007, 14:13
I think cold calling and word of mouth is still the way forward. Cieff Pilots and Head of Recruiment are very busy people by nature and would probably not want their email/phone details public knowledge with the effect of recieving hundreds of emails a day.
If there is one thing I have found out in this game it is that the jobs are had by being in touch with the right people at the right time. The market is tightening up now which is good news for drivers like us but rest assured that when an advert appears in the likes of Flight etc that in some cases the positions my have already been filled by people who have been in touch with the correct person in the previous six months.
Keep an ear open and keep asking questions and the information will come in time. Good luck out there.
GP

MikeSamuel
17th May 2007, 16:05
Is there much merit in being in touch with the big airlines when at an unqualified stage? I guess if you are beyond PPL it may be worth it if you're working towards the commercial qualifications. They must have a load of qualified CPL/IRs in waiting...

theWings
19th May 2007, 00:47
Is there much merit in being in touch with the big airlines when at an unqualified stage?

Not really, what with short term memories and all that. By all means start gathering relevant info from the day you start your PPL, but only make your point to the right person at the right time.

the Wings

MikeSamuel
20th May 2007, 21:06
Thought as much. I've already got my PPL but I've just finished Uni. Some people have suggested I write some letters, but I can't really see anyone being interested until I've got a CPL/IR. Apart from Highland/Atlantique of course. Application already submitted there!

MikeSamuel
26th May 2007, 10:49
Yeah that's what I thought. It's a tough road for someone with only a few hours these days. It just seems madness people paying £60k-90k for some of the "sponsorships" out there. Looks like the modular route for me.