PDA

View Full Version : Infos Falcon 20

Markus109
12th Nov 2000, 21:38
Hiya :-)
I am going to simuflite at 09 dec for an Falcon 20 rating.
Could someone write his experience about the Falcon20.
That would be nice.
Thanks and greets Markus
Always happy landings

rick1128
13th Nov 2000, 07:01
Markus, Depends on what you have been flying, but I believe you will like the airplane. What version will it be. Normal or retrofit? The only issue I have with CF700 airplane is range. The aircraft is easy to fly. Systems are something else.

FlyingCrew
13th Nov 2000, 08:02
I flew the FA 200, the other version of FA 20 with efis, ATF engines. very pleasant but fall short on range performance.

cheers!

Markus109
13th Nov 2000, 11:54
HI.
On our Company we have the Falcon 20 basic and E model with the Ge Cf700 engine.
It will be my first jet plane.
I am just done with my german ATPL training and it is my first job :).
I hears that the range is not the best of the aircraft.
I hope for more replys thanks.
Greets Markus
Always happy landings

Markus109
17th Nov 2000, 22:41
Hello.
I am waiting for more infos :)
And could someone give me infos about ratings at Simuflite in Dallas???
Thanks.
Greets Markus

rick1128
19th Nov 2000, 20:04
Markus,

Since you are in Europe, I am surprised you do not have retro fitted aircraft. That is aircraft with the TFE731 engines. Since you are in Europe range is not too big a problem. Plan on about 1500NM. Systems can be a problem, especially the hydraulic system. We operated s/n 16 for awhile. The biggest problem was the HYD.

Simuflite is good. I have been there for Falcon, Lear and Hawker. I have also been to Flight Safety. Of the two I prefer Flight Safety. Mostly because each center specializes in a single Manufacturer's aircraft. There are a couple of exceptions to that. Also Flight Safety is more flexible than Simuflite.

Good Luck

Richard

Markus109
20th Nov 2000, 04:50
Hello
Rick what is the problem with the Hydraulic system?
In our Company we have 1 Basic Model and a E Model both with the GE CF700 engine.
How is the Oral Exam?
Is it hard or easy?
Thanks
Greets Markus
Always happy landings

[This message has been edited by Markus109 (edited 20 November 2000).]

Back Course Bandit
20th Nov 2000, 07:49
First job flying a Falcon 20???

Holy sh*t.

Cheers,
BCB

------------------
"Landing an aicraft is simply controlled crashing" - Roy Slaven

Markus109
20th Nov 2000, 09:40
Hiya
What do you mean???
Yeah its my first job.
I think you mean i must be happy to get the first job on a jet aircraft??
Greets Markus
Always happy landings.
P.s in germany we get a frozen ATP with 250h not 1500h like in U.S :)

rancid crab
21st Nov 2000, 19:04
Simuflight at Dallas is a very good training center; -I could give you some info about the falcon 20... but if Rick is the same one that I think he is, then he know's much more about FA20's than most people! :) So get him to give you some more info.

Don't worry about the technical exam; -it will be easy if you read the documentation, just relax & enjoy it http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif The Falcon 20 is a good first type because it is reasonably complicated, (hyd system has been talked about), however it is a good handling aircraft & is a pleasure to fly.

------------------
festina lente

[This message has been edited by rancid crab (edited 21 November 2000).]

Yibbet
22nd Nov 2000, 15:47
Hi Marcus (and everyone else !)

Congratulations on the F20 job - I was wondering just how you managed it - I have also recently completed a frozen ATPL (UK CAA) and have 300 hrs TT (80 of which are ME Piston) and have written to a large number of exec jet / turbo operators only to be tols I need X,000 hrs and jet time !

If anyone out there knows of an operator that will accept a new F/O for their first job with around minimum frozen ATPL hours I would dearly love to hear about it (e-mail to [email protected]).

If it would help I also have M.Eng degree in Aeronautical Engineering (Avionics), B.Sc (electronics and computing) and will do anything, anywhere, any price.........

Thanks everyone,

------------------
" that's not flying - it's falling with style..."

Markus109
22nd Nov 2000, 17:31
Hello Yibet.
I could only tell you that in germany the most corporate companys hire guys with min.hours flight time.
But the salary is not the best in germany.I dont know what they pay in UK, but in germany we have not the best conditions.
And i think the most german corporate company´s want from their pilots that they could speak german.
So i hope i could help you a litle bit.
Greets Markus
Always happy landings.
P.s and you have to convert your UK JAA ATP in a german ATP because we dont have JAR FCL just started here in Ger.

Yibbet
22nd Nov 2000, 19:36
Thanks Marcus,

Best I start learning German !! I guess a poor standard of Itallian wouldn't be quite enough !

Good luck with the F20 and have fun.

------------------

Markus109
22nd Nov 2000, 21:28
Hello.
Hm Yibbet is it so difficult to get a job in UK???
Or only to get a job at a corporate company?
What are the requirements for an airline job?
Greets Markus
Always keep the sunny side up

Yibbet
23rd Nov 2000, 18:41
Hi,

Most airlines seem to be loking for a minimum of 1500 hrs including 500 jet - some want 2500 hrs including 500 on type or 1000 turbo-prop.

Having said that, some of the regionals (like CityFlyer) have no actual minimum hours requirement but will obviously prefer the more experienced pilots when they can get them.

Even the taxi and light charter operators seem to want more than 1000 hrs with at least 300 hrs ME.

Things are supposed to be getting easier here, but to be honest I've not seen any real signs of improvement yet........that instructor rating is starting to look very tempting !

------------------

rick1128
23rd Nov 2000, 19:32
Markus,

The problem with any HYD flight control system is the possibility of leaks. And the Falcon is known for leaks. They have done some upgrades to the system. The fixes have helped, but there are still problems.

As for the course, don't worry. They will cover everything you need to know. BUT you will have to study. If you can get a copy of a manual (Flight Safety/Simuflite/Aircraft) to study, it will put you ahead. Do not be afraid to ask questions. There are NO stupid questions. During the oral you will not be asked about anything they didn't cover. Further more many of the questions are open book. Like performance. If you do not know or remember, tell the examiner, but be ready to tell them where you can find the answer.

One thing I do during school is when I study at night, is write anything I am not sure about or any questions I have on Postit notes, then I am sure to ask about it in the morning. When I went through the Falcon program at Simuflite all the instructors where knowledgable about the aircraft. I do not believe you will have any problems as long as you study an apply yourself.

And Markus, before you leave for home be sure to have some REAL Texas Bar-B-Q.

Have fun.

Richard

Markus109
23rd Nov 2000, 22:56
Hello Richard.
Thanks for the infos.
Last time i visited Dallas in 1997 i enjoyed my first Texas Bar-B-Q yummmmmiiii :)
I have the Manual from Simuflite and i am just done to read it the first time.
And also i have the Self check exercise questions.
What kind of questions they ask at the oral exam?
What kind of abnormals and emergencys the practice in the sim?
Greets Markus
Always happy landings :)

rick1128
24th Nov 2000, 05:25
Markus,

Don't forget the chilli.

As for the oral and such, it depends on the examiner. Each one has their own 'hot buttons'. I am a check airman for my company in the Lear and even I vary the oral. It depends on the rules you will be operating under, your experience, seat assignment, etc. Plan on a performance problem. Usually I use someplace high like Aspen, Colo; Jackson, Wy; or Quito, Ecudor. Sometimes they use a written test for the memory items on the emergency checklist. Other than that limitations and general systems knowledge.

As for emergencies during training, plan on having so many engine outs that you will wonder if you are really flying a single engine aircraft. HYD problems and electrical problems. If it is on the emergency or abnormal checklist it is possible to get it. A lot of it depends on available time. A lot of time you and your sim partner will get different emergencies. Plan on a flaps up landing and an emergency gear extention. Plus an emergency descent. And lots of approaches, many of them engine out.

Good luck.

Richard

Markus109
24th Nov 2000, 06:09
Hello Richard :)
Yeah i love Cilli too yummmmmi
I have some more questions,i hope you are not pissed off :rolleyes: .
How they fly in the training,with one Capt.and one Fo student on there seats?
Or with two Fo´s and then changing the seats?
How long are the theoretic and flying lessons (how many hours)?
I will have 10 Sim sessions.
What maneuvers,aproaches,abnormals,emergencys i have to expect on the checkflight?
And how many hours i will have to learn after school to be fit for the exam?
Many questions :)
Thanks and greets Markus
Always keep the sunny side up

[This message has been edited by Markus109 (edited 24 November 2000).]

rick1128
25th Nov 2000, 04:45
Markus,

You will get a schedule when you arrive on the first day. The schedule varies from class to class. The first week will be all ground school. The second week will be a mixture of ground school and sim. They have several airmanship classes. Take them if you have time.

As for how the sim training is conducted depends on the class size and makeup. You may have an instructor or another FO as a captain. Or another Captain.

As for manuvers, you will do steep turns, stalls and maybe slow flight. For approaches you will do ILS's (2 engine and single engine), NDB, VOR, LOC, LOC-BC, Circling and visual approaches. For emergencies, you will get engine failures (including V1 cuts), engine fires, emergency descents, electrical and hyd problems. I can not be more detailed as there are so many abnormals and emergencies for the airplane. You will not get them all. Just enough to show you have a reason command of the aircraft. You will not have a lot of time to prepare so you must study after class each day. Your last sim session is your checkride.

Some suggestions. During the low altitude work, there is no need to go fast. I wouldn't exceed 230 kts. Use the pilot not flying as much as you can. Do not let the instructor push you. Don't get in a hurry. If you feel pushed, go into holding. Remember this airplane will exceed speed limits down low, so watch your speed. Down low do not be afraid to pull your power back to reduce your climb rate.

Good luck.

Richard

Markus109
25th Nov 2000, 17:32
Hello Richard.
Thanks for the infos.
You helped me alot.
My last question is.
Is there a sharing of the items what each pilot have to do?
I mean on a 737 the Capt. moves all switches on the left side on the cockpit and the Fo all switches on the right side.
Greets Markus
Always happy landings

rick1128
25th Nov 2000, 19:58
Markus,

First of all you need to find out what your company policy is. Then you use that policy. Also if your company has it's own checklist bring a copy of it with you and use that checklist.

For training purposes I use Pilot Flying (PF) and Pilot Not Flying (PNF). The PNF will do what ever the PF briefs. So brief your partner. Be sure to use good Crew Resource Management practices. Normally as the PF you just drive and make decisions. The only time you do anything else is when the PNF is overloaded or if he can not reach the item.

Good luck.

Richard

Markus109
25th Nov 2000, 22:27
Hello Richard.
Yeah i know what you mean.
That i did at the Crew Cordination Concept.
I did that on a 737 Sim.
But one example at the before starting engine checklist.
There are many items to to,on a 737 every guy do his items.
Do you mean the PNF do all items at the checklist and then he read the checklist?
Greets Markus
Always happy landings.
I am very apreciated about your help
Thanks Richard.
greets Markus
Always happy landings

rick1128
26th Nov 2000, 01:28
Markus,

In all the CRM courses I have taken and taught, it is Captain and F/O until the start of the Takeoff roll. Then it becomes PF and PNF. It stays that way until the end of the landing roll.

All other checklists, each pilot takes care of the item on their side of aircraft.

Richard

Markus109
26th Nov 2000, 02:30
Hello Richard.
Yep the last sentence,that what i want to know :)
Thanks alot.
Greets Markus
always happy landings

[This message has been edited by Markus109 (edited 25 November 2000).]