PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar PNG route

Wingspar
14th May 2007, 05:13
Can someone confirm and/or explain why Jetstar continue to fly a route over PNG that Qantas bans its aircraft from flying at night due to a very active volcano?

Jetstar PR continually spin the "Qantas Group Safety standard" line yet I fail to see it applied here!

Please explain?

neville_nobody
14th May 2007, 05:19
I'd hazard a guess that it saves them money.:}

Mud Skipper
14th May 2007, 22:03
With luck Manam Island will pop and they can then see an A330 in Madang. That would be a first for the place.....

Fact is there are some experienced drivers in J* but also thousands of holes in their cheese. They have indeed been told of the dangers on that route, if they are still operating it then I guess an AoG in PNG will be the only thing management will notice - bad press rules.

Shut up Mud Skipper I hear you scream, no one is allowed to say the King is not wearing any clothes:ugh:

Tempo
14th May 2007, 23:05
The route is A216 over PNG. Lately this route has not been available at night for Qantas operations but Jetstar use it However.....AIRNZ, JAL and Korean all use A216 at night too.

Captain Nomad
15th May 2007, 03:28
Those fellas are the only ones game enough to fly over PNG at night...

The rest of us flying over PNG a little closer to terra firma avoid flying over it at night like the plague... :E

Wingspar - there is definitely more than one active volcanoe

Mud Skipper - an A330 in Madang :eek: I think that would end in tears - at least until the coral grows over it and turns it into another underwater feature not unlike a certain 402 in the water outside a dive resort nearby...:E

Maybe it's all about 'acceptable risk' - for the money saved maybe it is considered an affordable risk...:hmm:

Don Esson
15th May 2007, 03:43
Where are Creedy and Rochfort when you need them? Surely they would understand the implications of this deviation from "Qantas Group Policy" or is Mainline the party out of step??????

Will that redoubtable Mr Westaway with his impeccable and unquestionable spin be enlightening us?

Mud Skipper
15th May 2007, 05:27
Captain Nomad,

I flew one of those once, still having bad dreams at night.... GoMad was more appropriate.

1570m thats maybe long enough in a sick kind of flaming brakes kinda way. Alternatly with perhaps no running engines, no reversers and slow flaps just skid off the end of 07, splash past the VOR and swim over to the Madang club for a cold SP lager.

Don, there is no part at mainline last time I checked. Everyone is on leave.

Captain Nomad
15th May 2007, 08:57
Mud Skipper - love your humour! :ok:

With the risk of exposing myself I can't claim to having flown a Nomad/Gomad/Gonad - whatever you want to call it...! It is actually my first name spelled in reverse and has been a bit of nickname - rather appropriate in this industry too :)