PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Perscription Drugs Into The US

hidigger
14th May 2007, 01:44
I need to transport some prescription drugs* over to a family member in the US. The medication needs to be kept cool ( it must not freeze).

I am wondering whether just to Fedex it over OR just bring it in my suitcase next time I visit - so I would like to know if the cargo hold of a passenger aircraft has the same conditions ( temp., pressure wise etc) of that of a freight aircraft?

*the drugs in question are 80% cheaper in Europe - just in case anybody
wonders.

StbdD
14th May 2007, 23:33
Sorry to rain on your parade but if your name isn't on the prescription, and you can't demonstrate that it is a reasonable amount of the drug for your own medication during your visit, save your money and leave the drugs at home.

Same goes with freight. It's a controlled substance or it wouldn't be perscription. You have to have a license to ship those and the recipient has to have one as well as I understand it.

Either act could land you in jail as like it or not, you are technically smuggling drugs.

US Customs
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/restricted/medication_drugs.xml

HM Revenue and Customs
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001589&propertyType=document

Most if not all countries have such rules. Some with rather drastic penalties.

IRISHPILOT
14th May 2007, 23:42
Same conditions, possibly a little colder on the cargo aircraft (we tend to turn the heating down if perishables on board) ;-)

Did I incriminate me when I picked up prescription medication for my wife a while back when she was too sick to go herself?

OFBSLF
15th May 2007, 14:35
If your name is not on the prescription and you get caught, you could find yourself on the wrong end of a federal felony, facing a long time in prison. It's not worth the risk to save a few dollars.

Blueskyrich
15th May 2007, 14:56
Say they're for your goat.

Well, it worked for the bloke in the film The Terminal... :}