PDA

View Full Version : Question for King Air drivers

Master Warning!
14th Feb 2001, 14:07
Hi all,
A few weeks ago we were flying in one of our King Airs and we encountered icing conditions so we extended the ice vanes. But when the ice Vanes were fully extended both engines shortly seemed to lose power. It was only for a split second, but I had never experienced it before in 600 hrs BE-20 flying. So my Question is obvious, is this a known fact or is this new to you guys as well?

Cheers MW! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Shanwick Shanwick
15th Feb 2001, 00:52
That'll teach you not to switch them both on at the same time!

Although not on the King Air, I operated the PT6A-45/65/67 for almost 3000 hours and have never experienced the symptoms you describe.

Sorry.

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

411A
15th Feb 2001, 06:25
Had the same experience in a BE99 over thirty years ago, altho as I remember, it lasted only for about 2 seconds. Think we had been in the ice for awhile, so this may be the reason.

Corporate Yank
15th Feb 2001, 08:11
Was this a transient loss with a recovery? How much did the Tq change, and what did it recover to? The fuel control unit on the pt6 is a rather simple unit that responds to what it has been designed to do. Give us some info, and I'm sure that somebody here will come up with a credible answer. Best, CY

------------------
*deep inhale* I LOVE the smell of jet-a in the morning..

Master Warning!
15th Feb 2001, 12:21
Well Shan Shan, I was sitting in the right hand seat at the time and my copilot did not extend them simultaniously. (very smart!)

411A, we extended them immediately when we encountered the moisture, so I don't think that's the reason.

And CY it was like I said just a very short moment and the only gauges I could check were the torques and they went from 2000 to about 1400 and then back to 2000 again.
----------------

Giddy'up GO! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Airking
16th Feb 2001, 00:33
3500hrs in BE20, never had something alike.
Do you have Raisbeck ram air recovery or standard type ?
Possibly a little bit of ice was already present and broke lose when vanes were activated, causing a short interuption of airflow into engine ? Have you checked the shroud for dents as a result of this ?
Any reaction in ITT & Fuel Flow during power loss?
BTW : Tops fly props !