PDA

View Full Version : Merlin roar over Northwich / Holmes Chapel

Up up and away
13th May 2007, 21:08
Hi all,

Apologies if posted in wrong forum. I heard the distinct sound of a Merlin engine this morning, raced to the window and caught several glimpses of what I thought was a Spitfire or Hurricane doing a few rolls & turns. It seemed to be over Holmes Chapel / Jodrell Bank way.

Can anyone shed any light on a/c type and what it was upto in the area?

Was driving past Jodrell Bank on Saturday and there seemed to be some kind of outdoor festival goin on - wondered if it was connected.

Thanks in advance

:)

NudgingSteel
13th May 2007, 23:11
It was a Spitfire displaying overhead Northwich (if it was around midday you saw it) for the annual Thundersprint motorbike festival. Don't know which model of Spit it was, but let's face it, they all look and sound gorgeous!!!!!!!!

angels
14th May 2007, 10:06
Nudging - They do indeed!

Just related my last Spitfire sighting in the 'Food for Thought' thread.

Up up and away
14th May 2007, 11:14
Thanks for the info.

Out of interest, on a different note - I regularly see a lot of Army/Navy/Air Force rotary winged a/c overflying Northwich (Merlin, Chinook, Gazelle, Sea King) Does anybody know where they are likely to be from / going to?

Thanks

MrHorgy
14th May 2007, 11:37
Could they be from Shawbury?

Horgy

JimmyTAP
14th May 2007, 14:59
Sort of off-topic but then again maybe not. Two Merlins (RN helicopters that is) have just refuelled at Woodford.

JT

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
14th May 2007, 19:10
What exactly is Woodford open for nowadays?
Only military, BAE and emergency situations?
I was told that they might accept the odd t&g from GA flights if you know the right person.

wiccan
14th May 2007, 19:48
Mr Horgy
No, NO and NO
BBMF, still at R.A.F. Conningsby, I think.
bb

JimmyTAP
14th May 2007, 20:14
AWR

PA38s from Manchester use the circuit occasionally so I guess if you give ATC at Woodford a call you might be OK. It has fairly limited opening hours I believe.

JT

MrHorgy
14th May 2007, 21:30
wiccan

Thanks for that, next time I try and help someone by offering a reasonable suggestion i'll remember to think twice.

Horgy