PDA

View Full Version : Squint correction prior to Class 1

David Horn
13th May 2007, 17:26
Hi,

I've already emailed this question to the CAA medical division but wondered if anyone else has undergone the same procedure.

I have a slight alternating exotropia, which I've had since I was a child. It doesn't affect my vision (apart from the loss of stereopsis) and I have 20/20 vision in each eye with no correction needed, and no diplopia and complete suppression of the non-fixating eye. I'm going to get this fixed in the next couple of weeks - it's a simple operation done as an outpatient and is solely for cosmetic reasons, although it's estimated I'll recover a bit of stereo vision.

No problems with depth perception except when catching balls, and I'm tempted to suggest that's my cack-handedness at ballgames rather than a depth perception issue... ;)

I'm concerned that the CAA has removed the "No stereopsis required" clause from their website - does this mean that they do in fact now require it (obviously a problem!) or is it gone to avoid confusion?

I'll update this post if and when I get a reply from the CAA.

Cheers,

David.

DuffyDuck
13th May 2007, 18:34
Hey David.
Itīs right, the CAA has removed it form the JAR_FCL 3. The reason ist not that they now require steropsis. They just donīt need to tell it in the JAR`s. It is logical, that something you donīt need, doesnīt has to be written. The comment on the JAR`s says the same.
But I woult be careful concerning the operation. I know somebody who did it. He lost the rest of steropsis and suddenly had doublevision. It is not possible to achieve steropsis by changing your squint. That is something, your brain learned when you were a baby. So if it is only for cosmetical reason, better donīt do it. The CAA will tell you if an operation has to be done to get the medical. But in my opinion, its to dangerous. Just wait what the CAA tells you.
By the way, Iī, in the same condition. iīve got a esotropia (manifest inward squint, not exo). All the rest is absolutly perfect apart from stereopsis (just have it a little). So please tell me as well, what the doc says.

David Horn
13th May 2007, 18:49
Hi DuffyDuck,

I've been tested with special glasses with prisms in prior to the operation to determine how far they can push the eye without me developing double vision, and it's also being done with a new adjustable suture technique so they can make doubly sure after the operation, and "wind it back" a little if necessary.

The stereopsis is interesting - I had an esotropia corrected when I was very young, so developed some stereo vision. Unfortunately, the eye is now turning out again and I've gone back to suppressing the superfluous image. Since it's already been straight once I'm not particularly concerned about diplopia, and neither is the surgeon.

Apparently it's quite common for more than one operation to be needed, the mean number is closer to 3. However, I was able to do a couple of the stereo vision tests (they were like magic eye puzzles, but I could do them for a change. Like looking at lots of dots) so who knows?

I will take your advice and wait for the CAA's opinion before confirming the date for the op.

Cheers,

Dave.

David Horn
6th Jun 2007, 19:59
Just a quick update for anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future. I received a letter today from the CAA which I've typed out below:

Thank you for your email regarding your intention to undergo surgery for correction of a diverging squint. I have now had the opportunity to discuss your letter with my colleague, Mr Chorley, who advises that should you elect to put yourself forward for the surgery, we would require a report from your consultant surgeon at the time of your discharge. We will then be able to advise you on the appropriate time to elapse before we can assess you for JAA Class one medical certification.

From the information you give in your letter, you do not appear to have any problems with your visual acuity and should, therefore, fulfil the standard for JAA class one medical certification from the vision point of view.The CAA were kind enough to ring me a few weeks ago to let me know what the letter said before it went away to be typed, so I actually had the surgery done on Saturday. My eye is sore now (but straight!) and I have no double vision. The surgeon said that he is happy to write a report and is of the opinion that I am safe to drive and operate heavy machinery immediately, and will say so in his report.

Hope this is helpful,

David.

David Horn
27th Jul 2007, 19:27
One final update on progress:

I visited the CAA and gained my Class 1 medical certificate today! The only disadvantage was that I have a glasses restriction slapped on, which was odd since an eye test 2 months ago showed 6/5 in each eye. However, another opthalmologist there said that the prescription was so small it was worth visiting a high street optician for a further test in the event it was a one-off... I was pretty tired this morning which might explain it. Apparently if that shows my vision as normal I can send a written report in to the CAA and get the restriction removed.

Flight my fire
3rd Aug 2007, 16:29
Hello David and Duffy !

David your post is interesting because my case is close to mine.
I've got a myopia -5.75 both eyes which all right with CAA, my problem is of binocular vision I've got an esophoria ( eyes inward ) , it is unvisible but detectable by tests. I can't see all the stereopsis just a few ones.
My main problem, i had to be prescribed years ago prisms to be included in my glasses. Because of my increased myopia ( now stable ) it caused a small problem of fusion. When I were my glasses with prisms I've no problem I see normally ( no double vision ).
It was not necessary to get surgery. I asked the question to doctors of Canada and USA who told me to fax just my latest orthoptist and they will decide if in regards of the report i can go for the class 1. Some cases ( it happened ) of pilots with prisms were accepted for initial.
I know somebody operated in childhood for severe strabismus in childhood and now has got his pro licenses US and Canadian. His depth perception is not good at all. But all the rest his ok. For me except vision, i'm ok for all the rest.
So what is CAA's point of view on the question ? Thanks a lot for your anwers.

David Horn
3rd Aug 2007, 16:43
Adrian Chorley at the CAA is the chap you need to get in touch with. He was really helpful when it came to advising me prior to my squint operation. I'm afraid that I can't really add anything to this because I've never experienced double vision.

Cheers,

David.

Flight my fire
4th Aug 2007, 16:30
Thanks David for your answer.

Were you really bothered before your operation? And now visually speaking how do you know feel now after it .

Flight my fire
4th Aug 2007, 16:32
Congratulations for your Class 1 .

David Horn
4th Aug 2007, 22:58
Well, I wasn't particularly concerned about the operation because I was advised by the CAA that it wasn't a problem, and because I was only having it for cosmetic reasons, rather than to alter my sight.

A squint can be a really uncomfortable thing to have if it's noticable, as it screws up eye contact and makes intimate conversation really difficult. Also, I didn't think it would be a particularly good idea for passengers to see a pilot with a squint.

I'm really happy with the outcome - I can look in a mirror and see "normal" eyes, and my visual acuity is still excellent.

NoTimeToWaste
5th Aug 2007, 11:44
I would echo David's response. I passed my Class 1 on Thursday and Adrian Chorley really does know his stuff. If you have the time to speak or write to the CAA at Gatwick then I'm sure they would be happy to answer your queries.

Flight my fire
5th Aug 2007, 15:14
Hello !

Thanks for your advise. I'm going to write or fax to the CAA because they don't answer by phone.
David what you tell is excellent.
So your reason was aesthetical. For me it is not noticeable as i said above, or maybe a little if i'm really tired. Otherwise if i don't say people don't notice it. I imagine that it must be very uncomfortable when it is manifest it is a source of complex. In my case in my twenties I was always worrying by the fact that it can be seen and it is a kind of complex. But nobody notices it.
But it is very diificult to take the decision to get surgery cause you don't what can be the result. In my case i have no problem in practical life. I work in the airline field on the ground, and have not practical problem.
NoTimeToWaiste were you concerned by the same problem ?
Any other advises from you are welcome.