PDA

View Full Version : Wot about a PPL Forum?

rightstuffer
4th Aug 2000, 01:50
This GA thread is getting a bit tedious,and it's not really GA at all. What about an Amateur Pilot's forum Danny? I know its PPrune but how do you define Professional? Do I have to be paid to do the flying to be a Professional? What about having to use my aircraft to get to work? Does that qualify? I think we should be told.
There are too many airlinies hogging the threads. At least I go where I want, when I want.

Chilliwilli
6th Aug 2000, 04:39
if you find it tedious - don't read it. Yes you have to be paid and no - using an aeronautical machine to go to work is not considered professional in the true sense. It is a strict profession.Get a life.

v1vr
8th Aug 2000, 17:51
Go easy on the poor fella Chilliwillie.
I would dare say a lot of PPL guys and girls do read PPRUNE. And I see no harm in having a PPL section added. Why not try it Danny and see how it goes, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the response. Flight attendants aren't professional pilots but they have a section.
And don't forget, a lot of the PPL's are the CPL's of the future.
We share the skys with them so why not share PPRUNE with them ?

rightstuffer
8th Aug 2000, 18:06
Thanks V1Vr. (Chilliwilli - run away and play somewhere else theres a good chap....)

I am lucky enough to commute by air from Yorkshire to work in Surrey. Fortunately, all the professionals I have met so far have been really helpful - especially the Radar controller at Northolt when I got a bit trapped under descending cloud approaching Heathrow's TMA the other day trying to get into Denham.

What about starting off by complaining about landing fees (Blackbushe and Southampton please take note). Why are they so high for us little aircraft flyers? And why does it cost me £15 a night for the privilege of parking under-one-tonne aircraft on the grass at Southampton? Have they got too much trade and want to keep us away?

Dan Dare
10th Aug 2000, 20:55
Rather than a PPL forum I think a "Light Aviation" forum may be better so as not to rule out CPLs and QFIs who also have an interest in the issues of light aviation. Of the many issues I'd bring to the fore is the demise of Air Traffic Services outside controlled airspace - but that would be for the new Forum!

mutt
10th Aug 2000, 23:46
This is the BizJet and GENERAL AVIATION forum, in the year or so that i have read Pprune, i have seen very few messages that related to GA.
So why do you think that PPL or Light Aviation forum is needed.
Try using this one instead.

Mutt

Adamant
11th Aug 2000, 22:08
Last year I went for an interview in the General Aviation Department of the CAA (we decided we didn't want each other). One of the interview questions was "What is General Aviation". I quoted back at them something I had read in their literature. According to the CAA, "General Aviation" isn't just light aircraft at flying clubs - if I remember correctly the term also covers aerial photography, aerial surveys, glider towing, crop spraying, banner towing, pleasure flights, police and ambulance aircraft, parachute dropping, pollution control aircraft, customs and excise aircraft, fisheries protection aircraft, etc., etc., etc. In other words, there's a whole lot of commercial flying in "General Aviation" and this forum was probably intended to reflect that wider definition.

rightstuffer
12th Aug 2000, 10:21
iat Mutt - This forum is described "...if you are a professional pilot and don't fly for the airlines, try here...."
What's that got to do with PPLs? I still think we need our own forum. And no jets! :)

foxmoth
12th Aug 2000, 12:38
You can always try Charlie Alphas forum on the Pilot mag site www.highway.co.uk/aviation/forum/forum.html (http://www.highway.co.uk/aviation/forum/forum.html)
this is mainly used by ppls

Chilliwilli
13th Aug 2000, 03:08
yep, the chap needs a forum.
He also needs some help with met forecasts and some training to avoid getting trapped under descending cloudbases.(plural of cloudbase)
Get some training and a life.
Yo!!!!! Bollocks!!!!!!

paulo
13th Aug 2000, 04:36
I'd say...

...a fair few PPLs read pprune. Some with professional aspirations, some not, but perhaps the binding thing is that they want to be in and around people who've gone the distance. A mark of respect, so why wall off the wannabees/couldabeens?

...PPL is the single biggest identifier with amatuer pilots. Yes, it's light aviation, and yes, a few months down the line you'll pick up on the GA acronym and have your own definition (as demonstrated in this debate) of what that might be, but there is one single bunch of letters that's the starting point for pilots - PPL. So, if pprune sees itself covering that starting point, then why not a PPL forum?

...and whilst there isn't? PPLs and prospectives will be trading 'Which US School' type questions in a random-ish forum of their choosing. Right now I'm getting superb and detailed advice about the very same, as a result of replying to postings that sit alongside vociferous debate about the merits of landing their employers' jets at LCY.

Just my 3-4k's worth.

So, amyway, flying schools. I've heard really bad things about... ;-)

Ejector Pump
13th Aug 2000, 05:34
According to the Collins English Dictionary one of the definitions of PROFESSIONAL is

adj. (7) A person who engages in an activity with great competence.

Therefore one could assume that you do not need to be paid as chilliwilli would want to you believe.

Collins's definition of UNPrOFESSIONAL is

:0 ( Word unprofessional has now been edited and spelt correctly thanks to the PROFESSIONAL spelling ability of chilliwilli). :)

adj. Contrary to the accepted code of conduct of a profession. Mmm, now I wonder which username from this post that might describe.

[This message has been edited by Ejector Pump (edited 14 August 2000).]

R22
14th Aug 2000, 00:26
Since we already have Alternative Air Worship (mainly non-professional in the earning money for it sense) and a forum for passengers, what's the big deal. A PPL forum sounds like a great idea; those who don't like it needn't read it.

Chilliwilli
14th Aug 2000, 03:48
Hi ejector pump!! Collins dictionary also spells unpofessional somewhat more accurately!!mmmmm
Try asking the CAA what their definition of professional actually is. I think they mention valuable consideration. Collins make radios after all, did they do dictionaries first? Who can tell us? I think we should be told!!
Give the chaps a forum!!!!

Aussie Andy
15th Aug 2000, 02:57
Chilli Dicky... what is your problem? Seems you feel a need to protect your ego by attacking others!?

As a student PPL with just a couple of solo hours up my sleeve I'd VERY much welcome a PPL forum where the likes of me could get advice and learn from others.

Many of us have day jobs that we're already very happy with - for now! Even though I don't (yet) want to quit my day job to become a airline pilot, I may do so one day -who knows? In fact, I hope to one day be able to teach others - in my dotage perhaps!?

So why all this insistence on being a PAID profesional pilot in EVERY forum on PPrune?

As others have pointed out, there are other forums a-plenty for professional pilots AND non-professional pilots (and gliders, balloons, cabin crew, etc.) elsewhere on PPrune... why not a PPL forum too!?

Andy

v1vr
16th Aug 2000, 03:41
OK. Enough said.
A PPL forum is a goer... Now how do we go about it... Does Danny read this or do we send him emails... Or can any of us set up the forum... Let's just get it done...
Any computer wiz kids out there to initiate it ????

rightstuffer
16th Aug 2000, 19:27
Since I started the thread I will gallantly volunteer to e-mail PPrune HQ and ask for a PPL forum. Watch this space.....

------------------------
Carb heat rules....

mutt
17th Aug 2000, 04:03
Wake up and smell the roses...... you havent used the GA forum, why do u think that a PPL forum will get any use????

Does that mean that CPL/ATPL pilots flying for fun will be banned??????

Please try to create enough traffic in this forum whereas a PPL forum will be justified!!

Mutt

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
17th Aug 2000, 10:45
Hey Chilliwilli

Put a sock over it mate it'll warm up and start working again. In case its burning like chillies you've got a real problem!!!!

How about BIZ JETS, GA & PRIVATE PILOTS forum.

Aviation is all about helping each other out, passing AIREPS, windshear reports E.C.T,
have you forgotten where you came from!!!

Most of the Airline pilots myself included have become a really spoilt bunch. Computer flight plans, loadsheets E.T.C. Hell the dispatchers and load sheeters do all the work inclusive of the flight plan, perhaps we can learn from our little friends in the PPL ranks as they do it all themselves.

Moreover most of the Private Pilots that I know Hold CPL and ATPL's with Single Pilot IR ratings they have done their examinations because they trully have a love of aviation.
Most of these [ SO CALLED AMATURES ] are every bit as professional as crews I have had the pleasure of working with both in the left and right seat. To add insult to injury they are all far more wealthy than most of the captains I know because none of them can afford to buy a Lear or Cheyanne.

So Danny if you are reading go ahead and give it a go mate! Let these Guys and Girls have a place to discuss, learn and in the process expand everybodys knowledge and enhance safety and professionalism within the aviation community.

Keep those Pipers and Cessnas flying,

Wooblah................