PDA

View Full Version : Lightning and Buccaneer Data Link

Headstone
13th May 2007, 13:42
A question for Lighting and Buccaneer chaps. Did either of theses two aircraft have any form of Data Link fitted, possibly under OR 946?
Feel free to say they weren't.

BEagle
13th May 2007, 14:49
On the OR946 selector, there was a switch which included TAC and DL amongst its 4 functions. The others being ILS and I can't remember what the basic one was - 'compass' or something?

The 'TAC' position used the offset TACAN box (Folland's gift to every Gnat student) whereas the 'DL' position (which was intended to be for data link on the Frightning, but I don't think was ever actually incorporated) was for 'raw' TACAN which didn't go through the offset box.

Hands up which Gnat students didn't at some stage find themselves in the wrong place through a TAC/DL switch pigs.....??

No Data Link on the Buccaneer - just words of encouragment/abuse from the back!

Ali Barber
13th May 2007, 14:58
Lightning had a couple of windows where information from the data link was supposed to appear, but it was never fitted.

lightningmate
13th May 2007, 15:20
Never fitted to the operational Lightning fleet and, whilst I cannot be categoric, I do not believe it was ever flown in a development Lightning aircraft.

The bay, just aft of the cockpit, that should have contained the DL equipment was used for one's aircrew holdall when travelling away.

lm

Headstone
14th May 2007, 16:43
Gents. Many thanks for the prompt replies.

Teadriver
15th May 2007, 03:50
Yep, Data Link did fly in a development Lightning, and if you get to talk to the wonderful Jimmy Dell, he'll tell you it was very impressive. But as 'Mate notes, just as well it didn't make it into service, otherwise we'd have had nowhere to stow the overnight bag.

lightningmate
15th May 2007, 07:27
Thanks Teadriver for clarifying the development flight situation.

I suspect the main reason for Data Link not being fitted to the operational jets was the lack of a suitable Ground Environment to provide the data linked commands.

lm

ORAC
15th May 2007, 08:29
As an aside, I was researching the intended data link capabilities of the SLEWC system and found this article on professor Stephen Molyneux (http://www.answers.com/topic/stephen-molyneux)- An ASOp made good.