PDA

View Full Version : Criminality and Safety in SA

Constanse
13th May 2007, 10:59
A little bit off the topic of flying, but....

I am considering taking my PPL + hour building in South Africa, but I am worried about the crime rate.

:suspect: Is SA really as dangerous as people say it is?

Also, (not to brag, but) I am young and blonde and have done modelling; would that make any difference as to my safety? :\

Thanks guys,
Constanse

Contract Dog
13th May 2007, 11:07
no, but it may help fast track you in the industry:E There is a post on the next page re all of your questions, page 3 "port elizabeth"

Dog

hyenacackle
13th May 2007, 11:27
I would be very concerned

Rumour has it that the latest aviation survey in South Africa showed
that foreign "young blond" pilots, especially those that have done
modeling before are 5 times more likely to be the victim of being b..
rape. by the industry.

A spokesperson for the SACAA was also rumoured to have released an
urgent safety warning to potential victims from abroad planning to do
their training in South Africa. Amongst other things was rumoured to have
said, and I quote "it is just not worth the pain" :E

It is also rumoured that this individual made a urgent request to the
industry that this "back stabbing" :eek: comes to an end a.s.a.p.

You are warned :=

Goffel
13th May 2007, 11:48
I believe at last Fridays braai at CAA there were traces of long blond hair found in the pot.

Have you ever noticed, there are no young blond females at CAA....I wander why..(or even males to say the least).

Our minister of crime says catergorically, (ja, Im one of them that failed the english test), that there is no crime in SA.

But yes, we can arrange something for you.

By the way, is there crime in Oz as I am thinking of going on holiday there.:ugh:

Goffel.:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Arcla
13th May 2007, 12:09
Why don't you post a picture of yourself and we will let you know if you are in danger....:E

classicart
13th May 2007, 12:20
c'mon guys give the girl a break...

I'm on a plane over there tonight Constanse, I'll give you an impression when I get back...

hyenacackle
13th May 2007, 12:29
"Not to brag" but Africa, that includes its aviation, is not a place for
sissies. Male or female, looks or no looks.

Gooneybird
13th May 2007, 13:05
Is SA really as dangerous as people say it is?

Depends what people you've been listening too;)

Compared to where is another good question. If you're coming from Kinshasa it's pretty tame; so I'm told.

Depends where in SA you're talking talking about also. Jo'burg CBD for example, by night is reputed to be very dangerous. I wouldn't know because I've never felt suicidal enough to find out first hand. I lived for fairly long periods of time there and I'll say this. You need to feel your way around at first taking advice from South African friends you'll make. As you spend more time there and understand it better it'll become safer because the neccessary precautions become more intuitive.

Don't worry about being blond, plenty of them in SA.

Crime rate is very high. Car jackings do occur. On the other hand plenty of people enjoy the place. It's not for everyone. You'll know if it's for you soon enough after you arrive.

Stanziel
13th May 2007, 13:17
hyenacackle, I can assure you I am no "sissie". I can't deny that I may look like a "sissie" as I am short, small, female, young, and blonde!

I don't get scared easily, and people who know don't mess with me; but I am pretty sure that (according to the stories I've heard) that it is not just "sissies" who get shot in Africa; altough it is probably just the ones with sissie-looks who get raped.
(personally, if I was a guy who went about raping; I wouldn't go to the nearest tough-ass bar and pick out a bald beer-belly guy with a beard and tattoos all over his body):uhoh: Would you?

I meant nothing with bragging or having an advantage in aviation with having done modelling; only that if someone chose me for modelling, a rapist may chose me over the bald beer-belly guy.:O

Classicart, thanks for sticking up for me!:) I appreciate it. Let me know how it was when you get back, thanks

4HolerPoler
13th May 2007, 14:03
Multiple Personality Alert

We're dealing with two blondes from Wales here guys - Constanse and Stanziel. All is not as it seems.

Heed the red warning at the bottom of the page - As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions."

4HP

hyenacackle
13th May 2007, 15:48
Constanse/Stanziel or whoever

If you look closely at my reply you would notice that referral was actually
made to the BUTT RAPING in the industry as we here in Africa call it. This
being an aviation rumour network and the fact that this person might be
male, female or both. I don't know and really don't care.

But then again you didn't get it and probably never will, so i guess you
will be very safe there after all.:E

Martin_tu
19th May 2007, 09:10
Howzit Constanse,

Crime in SA is in fact as bad as you think, probably worse than you can imagine. The murder rate is actually lower than posted by someone else here, (about 53 per day on average).

But you should bear in mind that rape, (reported at about 150 per day average, as well as 80% underreported), is often a death sentence too due to the prevalence of AIDS here.

Three to five million illegal Zimbabweans exacerbating both the murder and rape problem here unfortunately.

This is not to say there aren't ways of drastically reducing your chances of falling victim of course but I'm rather surprised that on this forum, you don't appear to have many Suthefrican PPL's telling you how serious the crime problem is here.

Be that as it may, you might want to check out a relatively friendly local forum that may be a good intro to SA, (apart from two of the many other forums I frequent that is ! LOL). Go to http://forum.mg.co.za/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Crime to start with.

Then maybe drop in on the SA Police website for the latest crime-stats, (updated soon, in June). Perhaps then you can work out where its safest for you to live while your here, (if you do come).

And don't think that being small, pretty and blonde makes you more of a target for a crim' than anyone else, there are ways of turning these attributes to your advantage I promise you, its all a matter of 'perception'.

That, and the kind of company you're perceived to keep.

BTW. PPRuNe popped up on my Google RADAR specifically due to your post title, hope you don't mind us butting in, just trying to help & clarify.

Yours in common cause,

Martin L Hedington
CCI, SCF, CESA, GOSA.
Kempton Park,
Gauteng,
South Africa,
2711 391 2979 (O)
2782 392 9744 (C)