PDA

View Full Version : Emirates or Dragonair

airamerica
12th May 2007, 00:16
Plaese give us your view on this,pros and cons for either and why.
Livestyle in UAE vs HKG,
Career progession,stability,employment security.
Apprecate your answers,
Cheers
AA

TangoUniform
12th May 2007, 01:17
I can't compare HKG with DXB, since haven't spent any real time in HKG. Dubai can be tough, mainly because of all of the construction and traffic. A very "westernized" city with everyone speaking some form of English. (see other threads for some real negative opinions about Dubai). But you are comparing it to HKG.

Job security. IMHO, there is no greater job security. Massive order for planes, with trouble crewing them. Only you can compare the terms and conditions of the two carriers. T/Cs could be a lot better at EK compared with other like carriers. Career progression at EK-count on three years to upgrade. Maybe shorter with more airplanes coming, maybe longer due to shortage of training assests (TRIs and sims). One never knows where the DEC program is from one month to the next.

Don't know the route structure of Dragon, but EK you get a lot of Europe, a lot of OZ and subcontinent. Seeing that you are from the US, the route structure may be more familiar with EK than Dragon, of course depending on aircraft at Dragon.

You will see some negative posts follow on, but you are comparing it to Dragonair, not a major from the US, Europe, or Australia.

Hope this helps a little.

T/U

Ghostflyer
12th May 2007, 05:37
You will see some negative posts follow on, but you are comparing it to Dragonair, not a major from the US, Europe, or Australia.

Dragonair is now effectively Cathay's China wing. It serves the worlds biggest expanding market which is to a degree the economic engine that is driving Emirates' expansion plan. Dragonair's T&Cs outstrip EK's and if you were looking from a purely fiancial point of view a guy that joined Dragon in, say, 1999 would beat a guy joining EK hands down.

So I think stability and employment security at either shouldn't be a problem. T&Cs probably favour Dragon but they have only 36 aircarft and China as their main market so I would have thought career progression chances have to be better.

That said, the traffic in Dubai does my head in but less though than the overwhelming lack of space in Hong Kong.

Your call!

Backwater
12th May 2007, 07:00
It is important to define job security here. Sure with expanding fleets it may seem rosey, but you don't have to do much at EK to be punished severely. A relatively minor slip can lead to a 'final warning' which is a huge expense in fines and loss of profit share. Having a road accident with the wrong guy can land you in jail for a few days regardless of blame. Who knows what will happen if a 9/11 occurs somewhere in the UAE. I could go on, but the term 'job security' has to be used carefully in the middle east.

SubsonicMortal
12th May 2007, 08:05
Air America - Found a very interesting thread on Dragon Air here on PPrune. I was also looking for answers and opinions and thought this thread was very thorough in adressing Dragon Air:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269439&highlight=working+dragon+air

airamerica
12th May 2007, 10:53
Thanks for the replies guys/gals.
I keep hearing the ''one dozen, half of the other'' for either companies from different sources.
HKG,I have been there and comparing it to the UK on the whole,it wins hands down.The package on offer surpases that of any UK carrier.
I have never been to DXB and therefore would not speculate other than what I hear here.
My conclusion is that nepotism plays a great part in the middle east,whereas at KA or CX,if you can not cut it,you will be out.
Is that the case at EK?

typhoonpilot
12th May 2007, 11:21
There are two guys who have worked at both places, possibly more. One left Dragonair after something like 9 years to come to Emirates. It was mostly an issue with his son's health in the smog of Hong Kong, I believe. He has since moved on from EK after 7+ years. The other left Emirates after about 5-6 years and is now at Dragonair. He has been seen on this board previously so he may come along and answer. To be honest those are the only two guys who would really know what they are talking about when answering your question.

Typhoonpilot

pissedoffpilotek
12th May 2007, 13:27
There are actually 9 guys who have come from KA to EK. One left to go to Airbus, the other 8 are still here. One has left from EK to go to KA....
Not sure if that tells you anything. One of the 8 is a good friend...money def better in KA, though rostering is boring with lots of time away in crap hotels in China and Taiwan. EK work more hours less pay but better variety. There is also the frieghter option with KA but that is completely different again.

halas
12th May 2007, 22:45
And the word is that the one that did leave for KA - Mick Jagger - thought twice after getting there.

But then again only he can tell ;)

Had the choice five years ago myself - and don't regret it.

halas

Mick Jagger
7th Jun 2007, 01:16
Some body mention my name????:)

Yes I have worked for both so here is my twopeneth.

Both are good jobs. EK is a large very glossy and very well run airline training facilities and Equipment both on the Ground and in the air first class. The route structure is varied and with the bid system you can get more or less the flying you want. Lots of expansion so lots of oportunities for those that like to get involved in extra curricula activities.
Dubai and EK have grown together and both are suffering from the effects of rapid growth. The Family atmostphere of EK a decade ago has gone you are a number and the bottom line is paramount. Dubai has and is suffering from outrageous inflation and when coupled with the slide of its Dollar based currency has had a crippling effect on the buying power of the once respectable salary. There have been recent payrises but these still do not offset the effect of the afore mentioned forces over the last 10 years.
In short you will be if not broke then certainly money concious at EK.
Hard to cut costs when living in a very interesting holiday resort town with lots to do. I was very happy at EK and still think fondly of the job. I dont however think fondly of my financial position back then or my non existent retirment prospects. If money is no object EK is the better job and Dubai the better place.

Dragonair,

Hong Kong is ridiculously polluted to the extent that I have sent the Band to greener pastures while I slog it out. Space and therefore property is at a premium in Hong Kong and property prices per SQ FT are outrageous.
The salary at KA is good but and this is important, its only good if you get in the house purchase scheme and have KA buy you a flat. Now you have two choices you can squeeze the band into a 1000 sq ft aprtment that costs arount 3/4M US$ and take the money or you can invest a fortune and buy a big flat. Bear in mind that you will need a 30% deposit to get in so you better have some cash. Without taking advantage of the above the KA salary is barely market rate.
Hong Kong despite the pollution is a vibrant fun city although not so much fun for Kids. Its a matter of taste.
The future for KA is any bodys guess could be more expansion could be absorbsion into Cathay (read 7 yrs to command) could be gradual dissolution.
If you want to make money and dont mind slumming it for a ffew years you can do well. I did.
Rostering in KA is well ...punitive. It is at times shockingly administered highly unstable subject to myriad changes and the most in efficient I have ever seen. You will almost always work 12 hour days and usually bank 4hours flying.
The guys in both companies are great...very professional and nice to work with.

I could go on for hours comparingthe two but in summary

want to enjoy your job and lifestyle EK
want to make money KA

The above represents the opinion of Mick and the band only so before you jump on me head bear in mind that opinions are like arseholes. everybodies got one.:)

Payscale
7th Jun 2007, 08:06
Ghostflyer -
China is not the engine that runs EK. India is. When they first get their act together EK will get a run for their money...namaskara;)

halas
21st Jan 2008, 17:07
So Mick, You still at KA?

Word is your back in the "Pit"

halas