PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Renewal

Vince Noir's IFR
11th May 2007, 19:30
Ok so I was issued my Class 2 in Feb 2000 (age 17) and I completed my PPL in 2002, I’m now off to revalidate my PPL before it completely expires in July this year (after being at uni and away since 02)… but as I have just found, looking through all the Medical Forms from the Class 2, I should have been for a follow up renewal in Feb 2005 to stay current. Does this mean I will have to do the whole medical again from scratch, or simply the renewal criteria of the General Examination only?

For one reason or another (no need to go into at this point) I was under the impression that my Medical was current, so upon digging it out before my onward journey out to FL I was taken aback by my discovery as this only allows me one week to get this situation sorted. :ouch:

So does anyone know whether I have to start from scratch, or I just have to go through the renewal criteria? And (living and working at Gatwick), is it possible to get done within a week? Obviously i will be on the phone to the CAA on Monday asap, but i would greatly appreciate anyones input at this point due to the somewhat urgent nature of the problem.

Thank you in advance and happy landings!

VN

2close
12th May 2007, 10:12
If it is a JAA medical certificate, within 5 years of expiry you simply need to meet renewal criteria.

If more than 5 years but less than 10 you are required to undergo an extended medical.

Any more than 10 years and it is a full medical.

It seems like you fall into the renewal criteria as your medical expired less than 5 years ago.

Vince Noir's IFR
12th May 2007, 18:11
Thank you 2close for your swift reply, i am just over 2years outside of my renewal, so that puts me into the category of 'extended medical' (7 years 3months after intial exam).

Much appreciated, thank you.

VN

2close
13th May 2007, 09:56
VN,

With Class 1 medicals the clock starts ticking on the date the medical expires not when the medical is issued.

If the same rules apply to Class 2 you would still be within the intial 5 year period from expiry therefore you would only be required to undergo a renewal medical.

I may be wrong though so best to check with THEM!!!

2close

Vince Noir's IFR
13th May 2007, 19:43
Thank you 2close

Rest assured come 9am tomorrow, i certainly will.

Cheers

VN