PDA

View Full Version : Grumman AA-5 Traveller??

Cloud Basher
11th May 2007, 09:29
I am looking at the above aircraft with a view to purchasing one. I have a requirement for about 30 minute flights with a maximum of two people and I want to do it with the least amount of fuel used for the least capital cost with the fastest speed. Would prefer four seats so I can take the family for the occasional flight but not a necessity (can always hire one of those.) I would be looking at about 350-400 hours per year.

Not interested in Jabiru's or other RAA aircraft unless they can fly into Controlled airports (but their capital costs

Other aircraft I have considered are C-150/152, C-172, Cherokee 140, Warrior.

Any opinions on said aircraft type or others that may be worthwhile would be much appreciated.

Cheers
CB

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th May 2007, 09:57
Your going to do 6-800 x 0.5 hr hops per year? That's 12 - 15 a week?

Interesting!

Can I ask for what purpose?

0.5 hr in a C172? Hardly worth the bother unless your going somewhere you can't drive to - like an island.

If so - your probably on the right track with the Grumman (in spite of what I said about the Tiger in another thread).

Dr:cool:

J430
11th May 2007, 10:40
Jabiru, Tecnam and a few others are worthy of CTA, you need a PPL or better and a transponder and radio.

Beats a C172 or a slug of a 152 any day. And the hip ocket by a long way.

Obviosly these are some types I have some experience on so PM me.

A C152 Aerobat could have some fun added on the way:E

J:ok:

youngmic
11th May 2007, 12:36
Hi CB,

Owned Traveller for a couple of years back in the mid 90's.

They have four seats, so I'm not sure why you'd need to hire a four seater.

I used mine for mustering and couldn't fault it, an absolute joy to fly.

I've never been inspired by the Piper or Cessna equivalents. Look at around 118 kts TAS @ 8500' and around 34 L/hr depending on 150 or 160 hp and leaning technique. Fuel load is not huge on these types, around 500 nm range give or take. MTOW 998 kg and BEW around 550 kg. They are suprisingly roomy for a small plane and you can slide back the canopy 6" inflight for that wind in the hair feel. The visibility is very good and they are great to get in and out of with the slide back canopy. There handling qualities far surpass that of a 172 or PA28

Parts might or might not be becoming an issue so talk to an engineering facility that knows Grumman aircraft. The engine is the 0-320 E2G

One of the minor issues that can pop up is the epoxy bonding of the wing ribs to wing skin, the epoxy can let go with age but the fix is simple enough by rivets in the areas that debond, does spoil the asthetics of the smooth skined wing a little though, look for this when you do a pre purchase. Under carriage is good and strong, no oleo's so no maintenenance costs. Nose wheel is castering, again simple maintenance free and great for tight turns. The forward fuselage is honeycomb bonded alloy construction, great crashworthiness and structrural strength for light weight. The AA5 design (I beleive) comes from J Bede the famous homebuilt designer.

I wouldn't hestitate owning another if I was in the market for that type of machine, even if parts were hard to source or expensive.

I've seen a couple of refurbished examples around recently and they looked fantastic.

Regards
M

Cloud Basher
13th May 2007, 03:37
FTDK,
No the requirement is for about 4 hours per week for about 40 weeks per year (eight hops maximum) and the flight (which is actually about 25 mins + taxi time) saves me a 2.5 hour drive during peak hour.

J430,
Indeed the Jab and Tecnam are, they are but they are also $60-100K plus aircraft thus they are not going to get a look in. I have less money for capital expenditure but am prepared for higher maintenance costs. I have flown both types (as well as a few other RAA types) but for a number of reasons I am not a fan. About the best I have flown was the Esqual (sp?) but again it is a $120k + machine. I also don't believe they can be NVFR either? Might be a future requirement...

youngmic,
Thank you very much for the detailed info. Will defiitely take on board the points you make and ensure I get a thourough pre-purchase inspection by a LAME knowlegeable in Grummans. (And if I got the Grumman, no, I wouldn't need to hire a four seater! :ok:)

Thanks again for the replies, anyone else have any further types or info that I might have missed / might be helpful?

Cheers
CB

J430
13th May 2007, 04:54
Sounds like you need a C152 or even a Piper Traumahawk, find one in reasonale nic, and half engine life for mid to high $30K or so, can't kill em with a stick or students!!!

If its cheap and not pretty you won't be worried about a hail storm or similar, but get one well checked over. Plent of old flying school units and some may be glad to sell them. Some are past being used for commercial work but private ops if some investment in ensuring they are still safe will make a good cheap taxi.

Mind you, I know a good cheap 2 seat Jabiru (95-100kts at 14 LPH for sale up this way. Even has wing level and can integrate to GPS for a longer than 25 min flight! Pretty good value for around $50K maybe less.

And probably better value than an old C152 PM me if you want to know more.

J:ok: