View Full Version : Bloody journos

The PM
11th May 2007, 03:45
Good afternoon all!

The article below appears in my local paper today.

http://www.dubbo.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=general&story_id=584017&category=general

This journo seems the think that being in the media gives you automatic entry to anywhere you feel at any time. :rolleyes:

Here is my letter to the editor in response:

"Good afternoon,

I write in reference to your story concerning media access to airport tarmacs.

Based on your reporters account, it would seem that your photographer was indeed in the wrong.To gain airside access to an airport tarmac, you must either hold an ASIC (Aviation Security Identification Card) pass, which means you have been background checked by various federal government departments), or have the permission of the airport operator and be accompanied at all times by a person who does hold an ASIC pass.In both cases, you must also have a valid operational reason to be there.

In one instance described, the photographer was fine, as he/she obviously had permission of the operator (Dubbo City Council) and was properly accompanied by DCC staff.In the second instance, he/she obviously did not have permission of the operator,or a valid operational reason and therefore should not have been there.By the sounds of it, I doubt the photographer was properly accompanied either.What did the discussion with the airline pilot involve?Was it about if the photographer should have been where he/she was?

Also,I am concerned that Cr. Ben Sheilds who is apparantly the Airport Committee chairman, displays a complete lack of knowledge of the Federal laws that apply in this instance.It is not a case of council staff, or the mayor for that matter, making things up as they go along, it is a case of making sure that the published laws which Council operates under,are followed.Perhaps Cr. Sheilds should sit down and read the relevant legislation, or stand down as chair of this committee.

Based on this story, the "Daily Liberal", your photographer, and the airline employee who gave "permission", could reasonably expect a "please explain" from DoTARS and the Federal Police in the not too distant future.ASICS can be obtained if there is a valid need for one, in fact Dubbo City Council can issue them.If you cannot obtain one (which I suspect would be the case), then please observe the signs that state "No Unauthorised Entry".They are there for a reason."

Have I missed anything?

squawk6969
11th May 2007, 04:13
The fact that Dubbo is 50 years behind the rest of Oz so maybe these regs don't apply there yet!!!:}

Actually thats not fair, Dubbo is not that bad at all, but you can see the BS these stupid laws and dumber councils are inflicting upon all of us!

And I await 8 weeks for an ASIC renewal!!!!

SQ6969

Pseudonymn
11th May 2007, 05:08
You should have invited the journalist and photographer to try what they did at Mascot, Tullamarine or Canberra and to see what their 'press privileges' gain them.

Counter-rotation
11th May 2007, 23:47
Get 'em to go to Canberra to do a story for the general public. Interview the bloody pollies who created the ridiculous situation in the first place.

I agree, bloody journos, but I gotta say, bloody pollies are worse.

The ASIC situation in this country is a pathetic joke in so many ways - and I have a letter from Vaile MP which reinforces this view.:ugh:

CR.:yuk:

Fonz121
12th May 2007, 00:40
Speaking of ASIC renewals, can anybody tell me what happens when you send your renewal away but it takes so long that in the mean time your current one expires? What are you suppose to do?

Islander Jock
12th May 2007, 01:36
Fonz,
good question mate. I know that some security staff responsible for screening at airports can't even get theirs replaced. They're the ones with the lanyard disappearing into their breast pocket. :=

FEDPOL have a backlog of applications for criminal history checks saying it's "because of the holidays" :ugh: :ugh: So public service holidays take precedence over industry security compliance?

Hopefully when the Attorney Gen Dept takes over under the Auscheck system in July things will improve. They are quoting 5 working day turnaround for security checks.:ok: Proof will be in the pudding though.

J430
12th May 2007, 04:46
hey Fonz, simple come flying with me, that way when we get arrested we have somone to talk to in the paddy wagon!

End of May is coming up soon:{

J

Squawk7700
12th May 2007, 05:38
Airport security is there to keep out this guy :bored:

See thread re: Hijacker released.

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/dmr.jpg

the wizard of auz
13th May 2007, 03:24
Two and a bit years from my initial application........I'm still waiting. Eventually I get sick of the rubbish and fill in a second application...........three months later I'm still waiting. who is going to pay me to sit around unemployed while I wait?, as we all know it illegal to go airside without an ASIC card.
biggest load of crap I have ever had the misfortune to be involved with.