PDA

View Full Version : Cathay DFO AMS A340 qu's

Easy Ryder
10th May 2007, 18:40
Hello,

I'm thinking about applying to CX for the AMS base on the 340. Just have a few qu's I hope you all may be able to answer. Or if you can direct me to a relavent thread i'd really appreciate it.

1) Salary (of course!). I've heard a non HK base means a reduced salary. Is this true, and if so what is the expected take home per month.

2) Routes, I imagine one doesnt just fly AMS - HKG - AMS only right?

3) Rosters, are they fairly reasonable, can you bid for flights? And is commuting possible.

4) How long is the bond for (if theres one) and does it reduce over time?

5) I imagine when/if promotion comes along its a move to HKG?

Cheers,
EZ

dragon501
11th May 2007, 05:10
Applying @ CX and being that picky.... hahahahhahaha :}

No bond...

Salary less than HK and no expat package...

Command? You have 10 years to think about whether you wanna move to Honkers..

Routes I don't know but don't expect a lot different from AMS HKG AMS I would think..

Take it easy.... Zit je in Stansted?? ;-)

Easy Ryder
11th May 2007, 23:05
Thx mate :ok: dont really see how im being picky but there you go.....

No bond hey? Hmmm thats suprising......... sounds good.

Are Cathay Rosters reasonably stable? Where i'm working now the rosters arent worth the paper they're printed on.

Mr. Bloggs
12th May 2007, 01:46
You need to work 84 hours a month. AMS to HKG is about 11 hours, Ok 12 hours in an Airbus, call it 13 on the way back. If my math is correct that is 25 hours X 3 trips= 75 hours the last time I went to school. Pairings are usually 4 days long. You have to make up the last 9 hours. Most likely you will flog around Asia with pairing more that 4 days.

Some months you will have leave, reserve, and simulators. Reserve is free, so no credit hours unless you are required. You may do reserve in AMS or in HKG depends where you are needed. Most likely HKG if the fleet is short.

CX will extract as much productivity as possible i.e. up to 84 hours. If you start to go over, your roster will change and put on free reserve and you will be the last person called to avoid overtime.

Stable is a very broad term in CX. Depends if your fleet is short of pilots. Seems the 744 is short at the moment, especially the freighter, hence the General Manager Aircrew is trying to get passenger pilots to waive their rights not to fly the freighter permanently. No Temporary bases if you don’t fly the freighter aircraft.

Many Airbus pilots coming off this year to the 744, so your fleet may be short by the end of the year. The 777 will have a surplus until next year; hence they are offering unpaid leave or 2008’s allocation for 2007. CX will much rather give unpaid leave than to roster a pilot only 40 hours a month. So again, depends if your fleet is short pilots.

They are short of Training Captains 744 and 777, so now are advertising in-house from someone to do free training of the Second Officers in the simulator. Also short of Simulator Instructors, many quit and went to Oasis and hence the advertisement for pilots to do free training of Second Officers in the sim.

They will be advertising for Training First Officers, in-house of course, so you can apply for that job if you wish. Mostly training Second Officers back and forth to AMS.

As of now, you are not bonded but I suspect that my change. They are losing pilots, so they may try to stop that. Not sure if is legal in Hong Kong or in AMS but CX will take you to task on it as you are an individual and usually can’t afford to go to court.

You can request days off 3 months in advance, yes we are a scheduled airline, and request 5 days off in a row 3-4 times a year.

If there is a Capt base in AMS or in Europe, you can request one of those positions up to six months before your command and CX will secure it for you. If not, welcome to the pollution.

When you are in, you can apply for a Command on the freighter, but usually less pay than a First Officer on the passenger fleet.

Good luck with it all and AMS is cooler that Qatar.:ok:

Easy Ryder
12th May 2007, 01:58
Mr Bloggs,

That was an awesome reply thankyou very very much i greatly appreciate it! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Training FO sounds interesting too....

I think i'm going to get my application in and see what happens.... :cool:

Thanks again

Easy Ryder
12th May 2007, 02:37
HAHA maybe, gonna see how my current outfits paydeal goes....... and even then i may leave.

Nevermind the fact ill probably screw up my interview if i even get invited!:}

Chief Pilot tho?? F... that. I wanna sit at the pointy end, not push pens behind a desk. :E A line trainer is about as much as I want as far as my airline aspirations go.

You also may want to take notice that I was quite impressed that theres no bond at the moment - in other words if i get in, i have no intention of staying for the rest of my career. Hopefully take my nice new A340 rating and 500hrs or so on type elsewhere. Gotta look after number 1 (the mrs) then moi!

But you still better be nice to me! :p

Easy Ryder
12th May 2007, 10:05
Oh Gee thanks!! Really appreciate you putting a good word in buddy! Your my new best friend! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, all I said was it sounds interesting, no need to get ur panties in a twist really is there? :hmm: And if your not paid any extra then why the hell would I or anyone else do it? As a complete outsider not knowing the inner CX politics maybe you should try the approach of education and not sarcasm to get your point accross. But then again judging from what i hear on CX sim rides theres little education/training going on, and maybe its rubbed off on you? Please take a chill pill and/or spank that monkey :E

Anyway Thanks again Mr Bloggs - at least theres one helpful CX ppruner out there........:ok: