PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall???

SRENNAPS
10th May 2007, 15:36
I might be wrong but I am 5' 10" and I am sure that I have known fast jet jocks more than 6 inches taller than me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6640521.stm

Is this correct?

airborne_artist
10th May 2007, 15:40
See this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146257&highlight=aircrew+height)

SRENNAPS
10th May 2007, 15:49
airborne_artist

Thanks for that.

Probably more to the story, but you have to feel sorry for the lad - hope the Navy can make use of his talents.

TMJ
10th May 2007, 15:54
They might be over-simplifying; "too tall for jets" is an easier headline than "buttock to knee length outside limits to allow safe ejection".

muppetofthenorth
10th May 2007, 16:26
Call me cynical, but it seems like an extremely slow news day for that to be worthy of 'net space.

Don't get me wrong, it's harsh for the guy, but I've been turned down for certain branches on medical grounds, it's not exactly uncommon.

Phil_R
10th May 2007, 16:46
For what it's worth, which isn't much, I'm 6'4". having sat - on the ground - in the back seat of a Tornado recenty I'm fairly convinced I would have missed losing my kneecaps to the instrument panel in an ejection by several clear inches.

That said, I have no idea what the actual medical requirements are; it's just an anecdotal experience.

Phil

SRENNAPS
10th May 2007, 16:48
muppetofnorth and adam 634

Yea you are both probably right.

But it beat the heck out of reading about Tony Blair and an interest rate rise!!!!!!!

muppetofthenorth
10th May 2007, 17:20
Cheers, SRENNAPS, didn't want to seem like a mean barsteward...

Adam, I feel for you, I've only been turned down from my 'back up' option on medical reasons, which is still a bit mean.

Phil_R, whilst you may well be able to sit in a Tornado [a fairly roomy cockpit] you will have had difficulties in Jags and Harriers, I'm 6'2" and could barely fit in a Jag when I had the chance... Of course, might have just been a short @rse pilot that had just got out.

Megaton
10th May 2007, 17:29
I'm 6'4" and flew in back of Jaguars and Hawks. Always a bit tight but they were never designed to be comfortable.

PPRuNeUser0211
10th May 2007, 18:04
Height can vary significantly whilst still being a tight squeeze! I'm just over 6ft1 and passed the buttock/knee length by 1mm (on a best of 3 average!) Found it a mighty tight squeeze in the T1A (although bizarrely not the T1, anyone know the reason for a difference in length?) and wouldnt have wanted to have longer legs if I'd ejected tbh. Conversely a mate is a good 2 or 3 inches taller than me, but fits about the same, as his legs are the same length as mine with a longer torso. At 6ft4 wouldnt fancy your chances though!

advocatusDIABOLI
10th May 2007, 18:34
SRENNAPS,

Yes they were, but they were lying on their Backs...... at least some were. :ok:

Advo

SRENNAPS
10th May 2007, 18:52
Advo

I did wonder when I used the term "6 inches" - nice one.:D

adam_634 - I have sent you a PM.

Tourist
10th May 2007, 18:55
Adam, come to the RN.
None of the ejection seats on our helicopters are height restricting.

advocatusDIABOLI
10th May 2007, 19:19
And NON of the 'Other' restrictions appy either..........:E

Advo

WolvoWill
10th May 2007, 19:25
Found it a mighty tight squeeze in the T1A (although bizarrely not the T1, anyone know the reason for a difference in length?)

In the mid-1980s the Hawks had a slightly different revision of the MB Mk10 ejector seat retro-fitted, so that could account for the variation.

PPRuNeUser0211
10th May 2007, 20:30
Seem to remember that the rudder pedals just didn't seem to travel as far? Although most of the T1A time was in goon suits vs nice comfy gentlemanly flying in the T1....

sarsteph
10th May 2007, 20:40
The staish at Marham when I was there was (of course!) a Tonka pilot, yet he was 6' 5" or thereabouts.

WeeMan18
10th May 2007, 22:41
There was a 6'5" * Chinny mate at Odi in recent years. Hmmm, what was his nickname?

* 6,5 standing up straight, 6,4 in a medical

Fray
11th May 2007, 10:17
Without delving into his arse to knee/heel measurements : From his mugshot he looks a bit 'out of proportion' like most lanky people.

Mr C Hinecap
11th May 2007, 11:08
Without delving into his arse to knee/heel measurements : From his mugshot he looks a bit 'out of proportion' like most lanky people.

Without seeing a picture of you, you sound short and intimidated by normal height people around you, like most with 'small man syndrome'.

Wessex Boy
11th May 2007, 11:50
When I went through Biggin the first time (flying scholarship) the nurse took my Buttock to Knee measurement in the funny measuring seat thing, frowned and then asked me to push as hard as I could into the seat....she measured again and said I was now just inside the limit....when I went back for Aircrew selection I made sure I sat 'correctly' in the first place...;) .I am 6'1"

Must have been a real slow news day, perhaps they had loads of space free whilst they awaited Bliars resignation