PDA

View Full Version : CX stance of color vision.

LOTW
9th May 2007, 22:22
Hello,

I fly in the USA. My color vision isn't perfect. As such, I have a color vision waiver for a FAA First Class medical.

In have a waiver for color vision, would this disqualify me for a job at CX?

Thx,

LOTW

Chuychanga
10th May 2007, 13:55
I was recently invited to the second interview after faxing a copy of my SODA for defective color vision to the Cathay medical officer. Obviously I've not yet been hired, but they saw fit to invite me to Hong Kong with full knowledge of my colorblindness. Good luck.

LOTW
10th May 2007, 15:20
Thank you for replying

alohajec
10th May 2007, 22:37
Hey LOTW,

The good news is no. It won't disqualify you and that is for certain. As long as your deficiency isn't too serious and especially if you've got the SDA waiver (statement of demonstrated ability) from the FAA that will help. The medical department understands that there is a difference between Color "Blind" and Color "Deficient" - the latter is more common and as long as you don't think the flower on the HKG flag is green you should be okay.

The usual color vision test used (which FYI is only administered ONCE when you're initially hired - subsequent annual medicals no longer require it) is the typical Ishihara color chart test - the colored circles with the numbers in it. My dad's an ophthalmologist and he says this test is not very accurate/fair since if done properly, it must be administered under specific lighting conditions and the CX medical clinic is far from that. Also some doc's Ishihara charts are so old and faded it's ridiculous. Anyway - it's very popular and this is the one CX uses. If you have trouble with this test (don't feel bad, many males do as the color vision gene is on the Y chromosome - Aside: that's why you don't see many women who are color blind - hence there is no shame in asking them to choose your sock color).

If you cannot pass the Ishihara test they will pull out a mean looking machine similar to the Farnsworth Lantern. The machine has 3 or 4 lights (red, green, amber, and white) and they'll dim the lights (which makes it easier) and shine them at you randomly several times and you must distinguish each one.

This I believe you must pass and it's not that difficult to do so. Once you do, you're all good to go. I suggest you visit a local ophthalmologist and conduct some tests yourself and see how 'deficient' your vision really is.

Aloha :cool:

Cpt. Underpants
10th May 2007, 22:52
aloha.
The usual color vision test used (which FYI is only administered ONCE when you're initially hired - subsequent annual medicals no longer require it) is the typical Ishihara color chart test - the colored circles with the numbers in it
Not true. I have perfect vision, have been in CX for 17+ years and I had the Isihara administered on my last renewal. I did ask the nurse (sweet Becky) what the deal was, and she said it was done from time to time "in case of brain injury" or something like that.
No, I haven't been bashed on the head - ever - unless being a (former) airbus driver qualifies for that (IHMO it should).

LOTW
11th May 2007, 02:40
Thank you for your time and the information you provide.

:ok:

alohajec
11th May 2007, 03:15
have been in CX for 17+ years and I had the Isihara administered on my last renewal.

Yiikes. Okay. Well I've only been here nearly 8 years and still haven't had another one on my renewal. So if you're lucky, you'll escape with at least 8 years bearing in mind you don't get dropped on your head or suffer the agony of an airbus conversion. (But if I do recall correctly, on the medical form itself which you have to fill out prior to each renewal...TWICE without carbon paper, I hate that!...I believe it does actually say for the color vision test for "Initial Hire" only). That said, you'll soon learn at CX they can do whatever they please.

...yeah, Becky is a sweetie!

Aloha :cool:

highalti2d
6th Jun 2007, 02:21
I had just seen, I think on a prior thread, about near vision uncorrected possibly being required to be better than -3.5. Is anyone aware whether this is true or not?
:8
DESO interview is coming at the end of July for me and my vision sits around -4.5ish, uncorrected of course... I don't feel the need to spend the time or money to find that I do not qualify.