PDA

View Full Version : American Vista

ATCbabe
9th May 2007, 21:42
Hi guys,

A quickie question to all you puter buffs out there. My other half wants to buy Vista, not the upgrade version but the full version.
We are off to Mickey world next week and he has been looking at buying it in the States, would save him about £80 he reckons! So here's the questions;

1/ Will the US version be compatable with Uk systems?
2/ Will any additional downloads be compatable from the UK website?

Or should he just buy it here when we get home?

Thanks in advance,

Babe

HughMartin
9th May 2007, 21:54
A recent article in a computer magazine I read a couple of weeks ago reported that Microsoft say there is no reason why an American purchased copy of VISTA won't work in any other part of the world. Updates would be provided as per normal. I think the magazine was ComputerActive.

HM

All Ahead Full
10th May 2007, 12:25
The product will work anywhere, the only problem is that if you order it over the internet, you'll get hit for import duty when it hits the UK, as it's new, if it's second hand or opened, you'll be okay

frostbite
10th May 2007, 14:24
Keep your fingers crossed he doesn't regret the purchase!

It's caused so much trouble, even Dell have re-introduced new kit available with XP again.

BEagle
10th May 2007, 16:44
Perhaps you should consider giving him some special treat to take his mind off wasting money on MS Vista?

In the words of Blackadder "I could suggest something, but you would probably consider it......unhygienic!"

timbo04
10th May 2007, 20:59
Bought a copy of Vista in the States last month - just the upgrade as a)its a lot cheaper than the UK and b) you dont need the full version even if you want to do a clean install - see a previous thread on pprune. There is no issue with buying it in the US - it works the same BUT I sold my Vista on ebay (as it was unregistered) as it was a waste of time and my copy of Sage did not work - do you really need Vista???????????????????

Charlie Zulu
11th May 2007, 19:13
I like Beagle's suggestion. :)

I'm the other half that ATCbabe speaks about and yes I have been thinking about buying Vista whilst in America.

Okay so the upgrade version should be okay, I just have to ensure XP is already installed or I have the disk to hand for Vista to validate it as "upgrade" acceptable. Should cost just under £80 instead of the £150-£160 it costs over here.

I don't "need" Vista but as a hobby coder (in Visual Studio C# .NET environment) I require a copy of Vista to start implementing Vista visual effects into my code.

I know of problems with Vista but have found that all of my hardware has Vista drivers including my GFX card (ATI Radeon X600 256Mb) but this will also be upgraded soon, probably to a nice shiny Direct X 10 card, again hopefully with the new generation ATI Radeon chipset.

I do use FSX now and again (once in a blue moon it seems!) and as this has been designed with Vista in mind, er I actually mean DirectX 10, once I have the GFX card this should show FXX to its full glory. I seem to recall that Direct X 10 is only going to be available to Vista platforms. :(

Thanks again everyone (and kisses to ATCbabe for asking the question).

planecrazy.eu
11th May 2007, 20:26
I am not to sure if my way of thinking is right, but why buy from the states when you can get a copy of Vista???

Reason i say this, its ilegal to import M$ Software from the states, as is any other place outside the EU. This is a European law, says it in the licence on Vista...

Search the web, some smart guy did it, now he's facing massive fines.

M$ are going to implement a localization into Genuine Advantage, using factors such as timezones, times, ip addresses, keyboard layouts, etc, i am guessing if them smell a rat they are going to pull the plug on the next update???

I didnt know this untill a very "very" angry M$ rep told me upon my last visit to reading "M$ UK HQ"...

I heard this from the hourses mouth, however i will stand corrcted if i mistaken what the kind lady was talking about?