PDA

View Full Version : Does Class 1 become Class 2 if expired?

heinzmanm
8th May 2007, 15:48
My Class 1 medical expired a few months ago and I didn't revalidate it at the time as I was not doing any flying. I am due to go and complete some hour building in the next few weeks and wondered if I'm right in thinking that an expired Class 1 becomes a Class 2 medical (which would be sufficient for the type of flying that I'll be doing) and would save me getting a renewal until I start my CPL flying
Any help appreciated
Matt

KandiFloss
8th May 2007, 17:14
Hi,

I believe that you are correct, but just get it double checked. I recently had my class 1 medical renewed in March 07, but I can have the privileges until March 2012 as a class 2 medical under the updated CAA system. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a ppl, going to do hours building next year on my expired class 1 (which becomes a class 2 medical) and then get my medical upgraded to a class 1 for my CPL. Saves around £100/year!

BGP

Bri85
8th May 2007, 17:23
yes it does, then ill become a class 3

2close
8th May 2007, 17:29
A FAA Medical reverts from Class 1 to 2 to 3 but in JAA land there is no such thing as a Class 3 medical - just Class 2 for private flying and Class 1 for professional.
I also believe a JAA Class 1 reverts to Class 2 for the normal duration of a Class 2 medical but again best check.

BGP, are you a bad, girl pilot having problems with Straight & Level or a bad girl who can't stay on the Straight and Narrow who just happens to be a pilot?;)

heinzmanm
8th May 2007, 17:58
Thanks for the quick responses guys and gals!
I'll double check but you all seem to confirm my initial thoughts.

Matt

KandiFloss
10th May 2007, 09:53
2Close,

I am generally well behaved in the air, so no probs flying 'straight & level', infact thats my prefered way to fly. Have you ever tried aerobatics? I nearly threw up after that! :yuk: I'm more trouble on the ground and enjoy getting away with what I can!

PS. Why are sheep scared where you are? ... are you from Wales?!

lol, BGP