PDA

View Full Version : DH88 'Grosvenor House'

DeepC
8th May 2007, 12:53
The shuttleworth website seems to be lacking any recent information on 'Grosvenor House'. Please can someone post an update as to what has happened/is happening to it. I'm asking just out of sheer curisosity whilst sitting doing a bit of googling in Holland.

Many thanks,

DeepC

Batchy
8th May 2007, 21:19
Hi DeepC

As understand it the grass runway at Old Warden is the problem, a little too bumpy for the DH88's rather weak undercarriage. Both the undercarriage and runway could of course be modified but this would take a considerable investment. Perhaps some one reading this from Old Warden could officially clarify the current situation.

The saddest thing though is seeing the Comet just sitting there forlornly, even if it won't be allowed to fly it would be nice to see her out in the open with the engines run up occasionally.

Batchy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/woodlands/DHCometCopyrightGaryBrown.jpg

Kitbag
8th May 2007, 21:30
Don't know about forlorn, she looks perfectly ready to go and in great condition. Can anyon explain the change to the props and spinners? I think the originals were Ratier two speed units relying on airspeed to effect the pitch change. This gave a very distinctive flat front to the spinner. Was that a step too far for CAA, or is it not possible to utilise the original system for some other reason?

Batchy
8th May 2007, 21:37
Kitbag,
Not in forlorn in her condition, but in a lonely and sad way.:(

Batchy.

BEagle
8th May 2007, 21:38
"....she looks perfectly ready to go and in great condition..."

This is what I've heard - it is only paperwork (or rather, lack thereof) which is holding up her return to flight....

Once saw her flying as I was heading back to Benson in one of HM's Bulldogs. Looked sensational...

Kolibear
9th May 2007, 11:42
The original, original props were Hamilton Standard units, but for some reason, Ratiers were substituted. These were not ideal - they changed pitch asymetrically so one prop could be in coarse while the other was in fine and once they had changed pitch, that could not be changed back.

Not using Ratiers units is a pragmatic & wise decision.

The first time I landed on Shuttleworths hallowed turf, I couldn't believe how rough it was - my fillings nearly ended up in my lap. I was surprised than the Trustees would allow such priceless aeroplanes to be flown from such a surface, it just goes to show how robust some of these aircraft are.
But on the last time I visited Shuttleworth, I was pleasantly surprised at the change. The runway wasn't quite billiard table smooth, but it certainly felt like it. Some maybe some day soon, the worlds 2nd most beautiful aircraft will fly again.

DeepC
9th May 2007, 13:35
Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Could not an agreement be reached between Shuttleworth and one of the hard surfaced airfields (Cranfield, Duxford) such that 'Grosvenor House' can be flown off a decent runway but still be with in spitting distance to participate in the Shuttleworth Displays.

Thanks,

DeepC

windriver
11th May 2007, 09:45
As I`m quite keen to see this G-ACSS airborne again I sent an email to ask about status....

"At the present time we do not have a date in mind for the DH Comet, unfortunately there are major mods to sort out and time is very limited, especially when trying to keep the other 50 or so aircraft serviceable for the flying season."

chevvron
12th May 2007, 09:11
Bear in mind they had to 'mod' the tailwheel as it was prone to castor at inconvenient times eg just after landing!

blue up
13th May 2007, 07:23
Sorry to dive into your thread, guys, but isn't there another DH-88 being rebuilt in the UK?

treadigraph
13th May 2007, 08:58
G-ACSP, in the Derby area...

http://www.cometracer.com/