PDA

View Full Version : how to get an FAA type rating

Bomber Harris
28th Sep 2000, 23:43
Any experts on the FAA lic system out there? I am currently flying a N reg bizjet (2 crew) as F/O under part 91 on my FAA lic on a part time basis on days off. I don't have a type rating on this particular type and will not be getting a course paid for. Is it possible to do the type rating without buying a course i.e. by just doing a written/flight test with an examiner?

floppyjock
29th Sep 2000, 01:29
Its all in the FARs if you can get a copy. But basically its training from an instructor and a practical test. Also an instrument rating for the aircraft

------------------

Bomber Harris
29th Sep 2000, 11:41
thanks floppy jock. 61.31 says i require training and list a couple of headings. I'm not sure what the actual prcticalities are. Do you know any small schools in the US which do bizjet ratings which i could call to weed out a few practicalities. I know the big ones but they will probably only be interested in selling me a full blown course (that I would normally expect employer to pay for!).

Check 6
29th Sep 2000, 20:30
There are some operations in Florida and California where you can get a type rating for a lot less than you would pay a major training center, i.e. FlightSafety International, Pan Am Academy, or Simuflite. To get an FAA type rating, you must pass an oral exam and either a check ride in the specific airplane, OR a check ride in an approved full motion simulator (I have simplified this description). What type of jet do you want to get typed in? The most common and least expensive type ratings are in the LearJet series (20/30/55), and the smaller Cessna Citations. The oral/check ride for a type rating is the same as for an ATP, so if you pass the FAA ATP written (either FAR 135 or FAR 121), you also obtain an ATP for the same check ride. See FAR 61.151. If you do not have a copy see www.landings.com/_landings/pages/regulations.html (http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/regulations.html)
Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 29 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Check 6 (edited 29 September 2000).]

Max Torque
29th Sep 2000, 21:27
Hmmmm.
While we are here. I want to get my US ATP and my FAA Beech 1900 rating el cheapo. I have about 600 command hours on the 1900 on a European licence. Any suggestions, gentlemen?

Y'all have a nice day.

andymac
4th Oct 2000, 23:30
although not stricly a type rating test, am off Stateside soon to do a high performance/pressurised aircraft 'sign off' in a King Air - anyone tell me what to expect on this ride.
MTIA, Andy Mac.

mutt
5th Oct 2000, 04:07
andymac

What on earth is a "high performance/pressurised aircraft 'sign off' in a King Air

What is this required for? JAR's?

I'm confused.

Mutt http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

andymac
5th Oct 2000, 23:03
Hi Mutt, it's like these new JAR thingies - complex aircraft (wobbly prop, hideaway dunlops etc), tailwheels, high performance aircraft (>200hp engines), pressurisation, turbocharged/turbojet engines etc.
Regds.

mutt
5th Oct 2000, 23:50
Thanks Andymac.

Sorry that I cant help you, out of interest, how much is this costing you and want does it consist of?

Thanks.

Mutt http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

andymac
6th Oct 2000, 21:23
Hi Mutt, hire of aircraft around $600 per hr, not sure what sign-off consists of yet - am still trying to find out!!

PAIFAgofer
9th Oct 2000, 07:46
High Performance, High altitude signoff is FAA required to act as PIC of an a/c in excess of 200HP and a Pressurised a/c for the high altitude. There is no exam per se, you just go up with a CFI and then he endorses your logbook. Personally, I think you are nuts renting a King Air for 600 bucks an hour, you can do the same thing in a Cessna 182 and a P210, or both in a 340 if you want to do it in a twin. Sawyer Aviation in PHX is the place to go if you want it in a 340...or there is a school in Texas that does them both in a Citation II for 700 bucks.

411A
14th Oct 2000, 07:14
Contact Royal Aviation Jet Center, Falcon Field, Mesa, Arizona. Ask for Bob Reid. He just bought a CE414A, I'm sure he could help you out. He is also an examiner, I think. Very nice guy. Tel 480 641 5000. They also do supurb maintenance on Turbo 400 series twin Cessnas. Factory trained. They keep mine in tip-top shape. www.royalaviation.com (http://www.royalaviation.com)