PDA

View Full Version : Pilots Assistant/Safety Pilot Positions

portsharbourflyer
8th May 2007, 08:02
At the end of this summer I should easily have over 700 hours but will lack the multi time required (40 p1 multi) for single pilot operations. I know in the past some people have managed to aquire the multi time by working as pilot assistants on single crew multi piston aircraft and flying the empty sectors/positioning flights. I know this is sort of a "how long is a piece of string" type of question, but I was just wondering how many managed to gain the multi time through this route in order to get into air taxi work; or is an hour building trip to the US the only realistic way of obtaining the multi time?

Thanks for any information received.

ramshorn
10th May 2007, 15:45
Hello
By the end of the summer i too will be in a similar position to you. My plan is to go and purchase a block of 50 hours multi at somewhere like Ari Ben Aviator in Florida who do a pretty good rate. Still looking to do it in California though as have flown on both sides of the States and the flying is more interesting on the West coast.
As far as the empty leg hour building option, i know it is possible but it is likely that you'll have to pay as much for this in the UK as you will for the hour building option in the USA and your timescale for getting the hours will be in the hands of the charter outfit your working for/with.:ok:

portsharbourflyer
13th May 2007, 08:18
Hi Ramshorn,

Just to clarify, you wouldn't be paying to fly dead legs it would be effectively free flying (voluntary basis). However I think that you are correct it wouldn't be a consistent means of obtaining the hours.

Seen as though you could get through 50 hours in the states in about 2 weeks, it is probably the better option.