PDA

View Full Version : is the biz jet industry solely for the high houred

Mr Tuck
23rd Sep 2000, 22:02
Having looked at some replies over the past few months i am begining to beleive that the corp pilot is for the very experienced in Europe is this true or is it just relative because of the few numbers of jets compared to the US ?

Any thoughts, perhaps even a courteaus acknowledgent would suggest to me that this forum is actually operational.
thnks

mackone
24th Sep 2000, 03:40
Mr. Tuck, re yours, as a rule of thumb any body with a modicum of sense can fly a biz-jet just like any other aircraft. Problems arise mainly in the area of what to do when all hell breaks loose. If your a far roaming bizjet pilot then you need to know a little about other countries and their requirements, also a serious biz jet pilot will have at least an airframe or engine ticket of some description to enable the flight crew to oversee maintenance. You need to be good at purchasing parts, running an operation and perhaps 'management skills' as thats really what biz jet flying is all about.
In the USA its slightly different where you might have hundred of flight department lackies running about but if your out there as a one or two man crew then a few years behind you would be important.
No matter which country your from, a FAA ATPL in addition always helps, as well as an A@P ticket. Previous jet time is essential for a safe operation.
Captain perhaps minimum 5-7000 hrs and F/O min 1000 multi. Cabin attendant a few years on the scene will be very helpful. Account with 'flight despatch operator' essential eg: Jeppesen etc.
Safe flying and good luck!

JB007
24th Sep 2000, 14:47
Then there is the other argument of "Your Passengers".
I think there is a very big issue of having a CAP509/low houred pilot flying around what could be some of the wealthiest people in the country.
If your paying for a Bizjet service, public transport or private, I think experiance up the front is a must.

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

Mr Tuck
24th Sep 2000, 18:12
Mackone and OO7

thank you

StressFree
27th Sep 2000, 21:21
Evening All,
Interesting question this. I started in corporate in the London area about 12 years ago with 750 hrs. Initially it was very hard work for little pay but its now really paid off and I would'nt leave corporate for the airlines any day (I tried an airline for about a year).Its all about knocking on doors and being realistic about what you can get. Forget going straight onto decent jets, aim for KingAirs, Navajos, Banderantes etc. These jobs will lead to better jobs.
Try London Executive at Stapleford or Chauffair or Gold Air.
Make the calls, turn up in person, get to know people.
Hope it works, cheers.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

[This message has been edited by StressFree (edited 27 September 2000).]

skip
27th Sep 2000, 22:59
Tuck

From what I have seen of Corporate Aviation, it seems a lot harder to get in than the Airline scene. I had 3,500 hour for a F/Os job where as in some companies 500 would do. The problem is no one is preparared to train anyone, and want basically a direct entry Captain.

Mr Tuck
27th Sep 2000, 23:36
Streesfree and Skip,

very much appreciated and thank you, your thoughts have encouraged me I'll adjust my sights accordingly.

------------------
Mr Tuck

jollyboy
30th Sep 2000, 01:07
Mr Tuck
I have been in corporate/vip for the last 10 years. The main thing I have found is 'do you fit' It is down to who you know, and will you fit into the specific type of operation.
Things in europe have changed slightly with the introduction of Netjets and Flexjets onto the scene

Good luck

Mr Tuck
30th Sep 2000, 18:19
Jollyboy,

Many Thanks for you reply, are you referring to being a team player and single status and 24 hr availability ?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
Mr Tuck

Mr Tuck
Jollyboy,

Many Thanks for you reply, are you referring to being a team player and single status and 24 hr availability ?

------------------
Mr Tuck

Mr Tuck
Jollyboy,

------------------
Mr Tuck

PilotNess
20th Oct 2000, 14:58
I came out of a CAP 509 course with 200hours exactly and landed myself a GA job flying a Citation. OK, I was very lucky, but I don't think that you have to be super experienced just because you're flying people that are horrendously minted. You can't say its ok for unexperienced people to fly schedule but not exec. aircraft! Anyway, I love it, wouldn't change to schedule and I think that if you really want to do it you should go for it! Good Luck.

FalconJock
20th Oct 2000, 15:31
I too am attempting to make a start in corporate jet flying. The above comments have been very helpful.

I am puzzled though as to how the salaries compare to general airline F/Os on both Jet (>£28K) and TurboProp (<£24K ish).

Your comments will be appreciated

JJflyer
22nd Oct 2000, 11:33
When I got hired the first time to fly a corporate airplane I had around 500 TT. Position was for a CE525 Citation Jet.
Around 600 TT I got a Capt position on a Piper Cheyenne II XL turboprop. Then again a VIP 737 rightseater as a part-time F/O.
1400TT I got a contract as F/O in a VIP 737-500. Before that contract had ended I had been hired to a fulltime F/O position on a VIP 727. Now I have just over 2000TT so Corporate is also for the lowtimers... Being in the right place in the right time helps a lot. Wish you luck.

Corporate JJ

Mr Tuck
22nd Oct 2000, 14:15
Pilotness many thanks i'm sure we shall comm again

------------------
Mr Tuck