PDA

View Full Version : Cruise/Augment Pilots

Lost in Saigon
7th May 2007, 14:40
I found this recently online:

The Civil Aviation Department of Maldives feels very firmly that:

- The concept and practice of restricted type ratings compromises flight safety.

- The practice of using holders of restricted type ratings as so-called “cruise” pilots is both unsatisfactory and potential threat to flight Safety.

All International operators into Maldivian airspace will be required on those flights where a supplementary crew member is fully type rated and qualified to act as pilot-in-command.

Anyone know which airlines operate with Cruise/Augment Pilots that are not fully qualified on type? (Air Canada and Cathay Pacific are two)

Are there any countries besides Maldives that do not allow such crews to operate in their airspace?

fox niner
7th May 2007, 14:58
KLM also has cruise relief pilots.

Danny
7th May 2007, 15:20
Cruise/Augment Pilots that are not fully qualified on type

fox niner, are the KLM cruise/relief pilots fully rated on the type or do they hold a restricted rating?

Otterman
7th May 2007, 15:32
It is a restricted type rating. Only above 20,000 feet in normal flight conditions. In non-normal conditions (like a decompression) the seat change can occur after stabilizing at an appropriate altitude. Their position is certainly not under review or reconsideration at KLM. The system works fine as is. I certainly don't have an issue with them. The vast majority are smart as a whip, and function very well. The FO's need to hold a B1 (or ATPL) if they are flying with a SO (second officer). The FO acts as pilot in command, and their type rating reflects this. This is all logged during the flight, and this form is part of the ship documents.

captjns
7th May 2007, 16:38
Most airlines do not recognize flight instructing nor cruise officer time when looking at total times.

tired
7th May 2007, 17:10
SAA used to use cruise pilots with ratings only valid above FL200 and as far as I know they still do. Never heard of any problems with it.

Condition lever
7th May 2007, 21:41
Qantas utilises Second Officers (Cruise Officers) that are not fully qualified on type, nor fully paid either!

Tofu Racing
7th May 2007, 21:56
Eva Air, too. Cruise F/O as well as Cruise Capt.

warmkiter
7th May 2007, 23:05
almost every major airline uses this type of crewcomplement if it flies legs where 3 CMs are required. it just costs too much money to fly with 2 CPTs. so whats the big deal?
saludos
L

Lost in Saigon
8th May 2007, 00:07
I understand that an airline may use one Captain, and two First Officers. But true "Cruise" pilots have not been trained to land the aircraft.

Are Eva cruise Captains and cruise FO's trained and tested in landings?

I ask this because Maldives will not let an operator fly through its airspace unless there is a FULLY qualified crew member at the controls. I wonder if there are any other countries that have this stance.

REPORT ON THE STUDY ON THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR CRUISE RELIEF PILOTS:

http://www.icao.int/ICDB/HTML/English/Representative%20Bodies/Air%20Navigation%20Commission/Working%20Papers%20by%20Year/2001/AN.2001.WP.7669.en/AN.2001.WP.7669.EN.HTM

There is lots of information here but it is not so easy to disseminate which countries allow what in their airspace.

Dan Winterland
8th May 2007, 00:35
Cathay has cruise pilots. Their designation is P2X and time is logged as such, the HK log book having a P2X column. In addition, while the Captain is taking rest, the operating pilot must be qualified as a cruise commader.

BA and Virgin don't use cruise pilots. BA actually fly with 2 Captains, Virgin use cruise commanders.

springbok449
9th May 2007, 05:46
The last few years on the Classics in SAA second oficers/cruise pilots were used as Flight Engineers...