PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Aircrew Search

Dan Gerous
6th May 2007, 21:44
Hope some of you guys can offer a bit of help. I am interested in finding out details of my Grandmothers brother who was killed in WW2 while flying over Germany. Apart from a name, but no Service No, all I have is he may have been on a Hampden Sqn and died on a raid at Hamburg. Does anyone know of a website where I may be able to find out information? So far all I have tried is the RAF site, but that was not very helpfull.

Lancelot37
6th May 2007, 21:56
Search this site http://www.cwgc.org/

Atcham Tower
7th May 2007, 08:30
Try the RAF Commands Forum rafcommands.com in the General Questions section. I guarantee you'll get aircraft and squadron details etc if you post name and date of death.

izod tester
7th May 2007, 10:17
The "Hampden File" by Harry Moyle, ISBN 0 85130 128 2 contains a comprehensive summary (60 pages) of all Hampdens and Herefords built. What their fate was and crew details on the aircraft's final sortie. If you tell me the name, I can check whether the name matches any of the details in the book.

Hen Ddraig
11th May 2007, 21:19
lostbombers.co.uk has a list of 600 Hampdens which were lost in WW2. Details for each aircraft include aircraft serial, squadron, base, date and target for last operation and a list of the crew members and their fates.

Hen Ddraig

Time to spare, go by air.