PDA

View Full Version : AUH vs DXB Lifestyles

outofsynch
6th May 2007, 21:35
Jobs aside, if one had offers from both cities, which one would provide the nicer lifestyle for a family, Abu Dhabi or Dubai? :confused:

Has anyone lived in both?

Housing?
Cost of living?
Traffic/transport?
Education?

No EK/EY arguments please! Have read those in other threads.

BlueSkye
7th May 2007, 04:47
Well, horses for courses I reckon.

Housing: DXB offers a greater variety with a split between villas (a.k.a. houses) and apartments. Villas more expensive to rent in AUH but apartments cheaper in AUH. DXB also more modern, with most buildings being new(+-5 years).

Cost of living: DXB more expensive to live than AUH, in general.

Traffic/Transport: A no contest here. AUH!!! The only downside to the small size of AUH is the parking problem. "What do you do if you see a spaceman..... you park your car man." You can drive from one side of the island to the other in about twenty minutes. A taxi ride will cost you no more than 15 Dirhams.

Education: Someone else might assist on this one. I know everything already!:E Seriously though, I don't have children so can't speak about this.

Abu Dhabi has a much slower pace to it. If clubbing and partying and life in the fast lane is your scene then stick to DXB. For a more relaxed lifestyle go for AUH.

Abu Dhabi airport is more accessible than DXB for the above reason and the drive there is easier.

A bit criptic in description but won't bore you with details for now.

assymetric
8th May 2007, 12:35
Thanks Blueskye,

Useful info.

If anyone else has more to add it would be great.

Assy

expatula
8th May 2007, 17:22
Abu Dhabi for me wins hands down. I have seen both places and I think AUH is the best place you can find in this side of the desert if you have long term prospects of settling down in the UAE. AUH is cleaner, quieter, and a lot greener than DXB. It may not have the glitz and glam and all the modern perks that DXB offers, but AUH I believe can offer anyone the better side of life which is tranquility and peace of mind.

But then again, all these depends on what type of person you are. People have different levels of satisfaction and views contentment however it suits them. If you are like the bunch of whiners lurking on the sides here who are always ready to start yapping at the slightest hint of discomfort, then both places (or anywhere else in this friggin' world for that matter) may not be suitable for you. But if you are open minded and with a cool and relaxed kind of attitude, then I am pretty damn sure you will enjoy living in the AUH.

So again if you want my opinion - just seize the moment, live for yourself and enjoy what you have. Goodluck!

divingduck
8th May 2007, 18:38
No question...Ab Dab is a hands down winner.

Sitting in miles of traffic every day would do my head in:yuk:

Besides that, in Abu Dhabi you can always travel up Sheik Z road and in 40-60 minutes you can visit all the sights and sounds of Dubai and still make it home in time for just about anything.

Where do the Dubains, Dubaiettes, Dubaiese, Dubaiites (is that a word?) get to go? Nowhere...:ugh:

More importantly, what do you call someone from Dubai?

QNH1013
8th May 2007, 19:36
I'm a Dubarati.
outofsynch, whichever is going to be the 'hands down' place is really what you want for yourself individually or for your family.
I'm single and I like the glitz and glamour and modern nature of Dubai as well as the wide choice of malls, places to eat and clubs around.
Your travel plans to go to these various places are ruled by the trafiic though. I can get by knowing when the peak times are. But during week days all day time traffic can be on the heavy side in the city centre and main roads. Outside is ok. You have to find the detour routes etc. Doubt Abu Dhabi would be that complicated and as expensive too.
Friends with family are happy in Silicon Oasis as is it away from the heart of the bustle but still in Dubai.
Of course others will not share the same opinion with me but that's just my choice. To each his own.
Good Luck.

outofsynch
8th May 2007, 20:23
Thanks for replies. Still interested in any other opinions out there.....

Have visited Dubai twice, but put off by traffic and construction dust bowl. Although DSO has its advanatges, I would prefer not to live in a company ghetto.

Fox3snapshot
8th May 2007, 20:31
:hmm: When I think back to the good ol days in Dubai when we would criss cross the creek from venue to venue and end up at anywhere around 4 or more spots a night, Irish Village, Alamo, RB's etc etc. (we may have squeezed a quick peak in at cyclone there too:} ) and compare it to the s*ite fight now, I am soooo glad I live in Abu Dhabi.

The icing on the cr*p cake was the Phil Collins concert, the balding dude that I am beginning to resemble! :8

We left Longs Bar over an hour prior to the concert at the Autodrome and arrived over an 1 hour intothe concert because of the traffic...lets not even mentioned what happened when everyone tried to get home!!!! :suspect:

Nup, My top 3..Muscat, Abu Dhabi....and Kish Island :E

FLT777
9th May 2007, 02:12
so would you recommend dubai as a temporary stay?
good for someone your for a couple of years?
or would you say this was not an ideal place to live?

kumul1
9th May 2007, 04:41
AUH definitely quieter than DXB but in about 4 years time your sentiments will be exactly like Fox3'snapshots and what the rest of us remember about DXB. AUH is growing at a phenomenal rate and although improving from lessons learnt in DXB's mistakes, this is the middle east. They will always try to out do each other at the expense of quality and proper planning.
I say IF YOU HAVE TO take the job, take the city that comes with it and make the most of it.

BlueSkye
9th May 2007, 04:57
The best part of Dubai is the road outta there.:E As soon as the street lights go from two to six it's foot down and see ya.:ok:

GMDS
9th May 2007, 05:13
Well, part of Dubai beeing so crowded is that too many Ferraris and Land Cruisers with 100% teinted windows and AD plates run into the city like mad locusts Thursday evening. You might ask WHY ????? Because Abu Dhabi is so great? The good thing is, they eventually head back Saturday evening, a little alightened one the one side, but a little more loaded on the other, which should keep you off the roads there and then!! During that time AD might be quiet and peaceful, but they catch up fast and will very soon offer the same amusements on campus.
To me it will very fast become same same. Look at the job instead.

Fox3snapshot
9th May 2007, 06:32
The difference is Abu Dhabi is already built and established, the odd old building is coming down in the city to make way for the new. The majority of the new massive investment that is going into the place in the form of Ferrari City's, Shams etc. is occuring on the islands and away from our day to day lives.

This place is far more civil than Dubai and having spent 10 years in UAE and Oman and lived (practically in Dubai as well!) in all three centers there is no question as to where I would prefer to be right now. And as for the drivers, whilst our gold and white el cheapo taxi's are predictably bad with their last minute dash's for a fare, the only drivers that have ticked me off with a blatent disregard for our slow pace of life here have been Dubai plated, tailgaiting, speeding, non-indicating, unnecessary lane changing types.

Just my 2 bobs worth....:8