PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins!

everynamestaken
6th May 2007, 00:13
Qantaslink Minimum Experience::ok:

700 hours total flying time.
250 hours Command or Co-Pilot of multi-engined, fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS).
Turbine experience is desirable but not compulsory.

Dave Incognito
6th May 2007, 00:25
Great to see that they have lowered the experience hurdle before compromising the cash hurdle... :rolleyes:

Fonz121
6th May 2007, 01:14
Where does it say this? Do they still have the year 12 subject requirement?

Mr. Hat
6th May 2007, 01:54
6th of May Year 2010
Minimum experience requirements:
Total time - 40 hrs
Command - 10
Night - 0
Licence Type - GFPT or higher
Only applicants willing to commit for a minimum of 1 year need apply.

jack red
6th May 2007, 02:40
.............Business Class travel to Sydney and four nights accomodation at the Grand Hyatt Executive Suite.
Transfers to interview and psychometric areas by private limosine.
Your choice of fleet.
Salary $250,000 with annual 9.5% increase for 3 years.
CA with union of your choice. Company would prefer AWA but we don't want to upset you.

grrowler
6th May 2007, 02:54
According to our glorious leader, the experience levels in the company are far in excess of what is required for our operation. After all we're only flying little prop planes (Albeit up to 6 sectors per day, half into CTAFs without precision approaches).

While I do not doubt/ hope that pilots who make it through the recruitment process will be up to the task, it is pathetic, as previously mentioned, that the pay-to-work scheme hasn't been dropped.

Every notice we get from the company seems to contain the sentence "As always, safety is our first priority" or words to that effect. Yeah right:suspect: :rolleyes:

chode1984
6th May 2007, 04:59
Is this a wind up? Where does this info actually come from?

Howard Hughes
6th May 2007, 05:03
They ain't really hurting till they take direct entry commands!

Then and only then, might they do away with 'pay as you go' endorsements...;)

WarmNuts
6th May 2007, 05:04
here you go HH

http://qantaslink.bfound.net/det-entry.aspx?jobid=30950&CoId=189&rq=1

Bendo
6th May 2007, 07:34
The good candidates will still be good whether they have 1500 hours or 3000 hours - lowering the minimums means QLink are more likely to get the good guys before they get snapped up by Rex, Pel Air, or somebody else.

They're simply screening the available market of pilots upstream of their competition.:oh:

puff
6th May 2007, 07:34
I don't get it.

Everyone is always bitching abou the hours requirements are so high, that getting 500 multi PIC is so hard, yet when someone reduces the minimums and makes it easier to get a job everyone is bitching ?

Doesn't change the fact that in theory if you have MORE than the mins you may have better chances with someone right on the bottom, but I can't see there being a negative here? Cadets are in the RH seat with less than 300 and next to no multi?

There is no way any airline or company in any other industry will reduce minimum requirements of it's staff unless they aren't getting sufficient numbers of application that meet their criteria, if they aren't getting that unless they want to park a/c they have no choice but to reduce their minimums.

I agree harder on the checkies, but surely no harder than putting thru a 19 year old cadet with 300 hours?

chode1984
6th May 2007, 08:40
Licensing

Dash 8 Type Endorsement.
Air Transport Pilot Licence Theory Pass *.
Australian Commercial Pilot Licence.
Whats it mean by the top line above? You need a Dash 8 endorsement before you can apply? In other words are they dropping the minimums but getting rid of the subsidised endorsement? Appealing to more of the potential applicants who are cashed up.

MUNT
6th May 2007, 08:50
It means you pay for your endorsement.

These requirements are in line with the rest of the world.

Masquerade
6th May 2007, 08:57
"They're simply screening the available market of pilots upstream of their competition.:oh:"

Yes Bendo, Im of the understanding that this has been occuring for some months with guys well under the 500hrs ME CMD requirement being invited for stage 2 testing.

I think this is a smart move by their HR people myself.

Keg
6th May 2007, 09:00
Especially considering that most people with well in excess of the requirements probably wouldn't pay the money for the endorsement. This way they open the 'pool' of young, keen people who are prepared to pay for their 'first shot'. :ugh:

Bendo
6th May 2007, 09:02
Take a look at the mining industry. They haven't reduced qualifications required. They have raised salaries to attract qualified workers.

Mate I have spent the last 5 years in, and trying to get out of, the mining industry.

I promise you that the day I started in mining (with the same company I had previously been Chief Pilot for) I started with no quals or relevant experience and I doubled my wages overnight.

You cannot lower minimum qualifications from Zero for mining technicians, or a trades certificate for tradesmen. Doesn't matter if the ink is still wet on that certificate either - it's like QF taking SO's straight out of flying school with a bare CPL.

Can you imagine doing a 3-year Electricians apprenticeship after finishing year 10, and then at 19 starting on a salary of $90,000?

Mining is a dead-end job for morons. I no coz I are wun. :ok:

puff
6th May 2007, 09:10
Keg I agree it's crap. But without a powerful union which we simply don't have that stopped all pilots from applying for jobs for say 6 months and forcing the airlines to drop their charging for endorsements what choice do people have if they want to progress.

Unless everyone stops and only waits for QF every other major operator is charging for endorsements. One person can't make a difference, only a united effort will, who is willing to make that effort?

ga_trojan
6th May 2007, 09:39
Whilst their minimums are low by Australian standards these would be about right for a US regional airline. However the pay would be about 50% of what QLink pay.

Also found an interesting quote from the recruitment website. Ultimately pilots are to blame for pay for training as their justification is:

Why has QantasLink created such a system?
The "pay for your own endorsement" is very much an industry norm

Howard Hughes
6th May 2007, 09:56
here you go HH
Don't see them looking for Captains and Dash endo still seems to be a requirement (ie: pay as you go)!;)

DM777
6th May 2007, 11:59
I can tick most of the boxes apart from the basic GPS Qualifications. When I did my IREX we touched on the GPS but I dont have any stamp in my logbook. Just wandering if anyone knows what is involved, I use GPS daily flying but don't have any freakin sticker. Any info would be great, where to do it, how long, how much dough I have to cough up etc

DM777

nungry
6th May 2007, 11:59
Unfortunately HH, they have. A Contract company has secured a number of Captains to come here from O/S, later this year, to cover some KNOWN shortages. KNOWN!!!! They know they are short of crew, but what are they doing about it? The heads just dig deeper into the sand.

Second fact, May course for F/O's is underway, June is full with ten, July is empty, why?? Beacause they can't fill the slots!!!!!!!

Anyone considering parting with ten grand, wait!!!! It will turn around very very soon.

2p!ssed2drive
6th May 2007, 14:08
777- you can do a GPS course at most IFR schools.

My stamp covers me for the GNS430 only in enroute and with other certain wx factors which you can operate in. most courses you can do on a synthetic computer trainer too.

VH DSJ
6th May 2007, 23:25
250 hours Command or Co-Pilot of multi-engined, fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS).

Is that 250 hours multi command?

Dave Incognito
7th May 2007, 00:18
of multi-engined, fixed wing aircraft

Is that a trick question?

MUNT
7th May 2007, 01:00
DSJ

Read it as 250 hours (Command or Co-Pilot) of multi-engined, fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS).

BoundaryLayer
7th May 2007, 01:21
Be mindful Command or CoPilot does not include dual. So in reality you will probably need somewhere in the vicinity of 300 ME TT - including the specified 250 Command / Co. Getting that is still going to be a bit of a challange (no ICUS remember). However, good for those facing the previous 500 ME Command hurdle.

If I am wrong feel free to let me know.

BL

jack red
7th May 2007, 02:03
Anyone considering parting with ten grand, wait!!!! It will turn around very very soon.

No one should be paying for ratings/ medicals/ psych tests etc,. The pilot shortage is here and will get even worse(for QF/Jetstar) after July the 1st.:ok:

M.25
7th May 2007, 02:24
I wonder how long it will be before jetstar have to lower their 2000hr requirement - although I think they would have plenty of applicants if they dropped the requirement to pay for your own endorsement.:rolleyes: Maybe they plan on using Qlink as a breeding ground?

Track Direct
7th May 2007, 02:34
Agree with Keg, those that exceed the min requirements by several thousand hours simply won't apply because they refuse to shell out for the endorsement.:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th May 2007, 02:41
DM777

"When I did my IREX we touched on the GPS but I dont have any stamp in my logbook. Just wandering if anyone knows what is involved, I use GPS daily flying but don't have any freakin sticker. Any info would be great, where to do it, how long, how much dough I have to cough up etc"

I suspect that a phone call to any reputable flight training organisation that does IR training will answer your question.

My recollection is that there are two levels of ground school for GPS. The first level lets you (legally) use GPS for enroute navigation, while the second level is required for GPS/RNAV NPA.

I think that completing both took me maybe half a day.

For an initial GPS/RNAV NPA enorsement you need to fly one approach in an aeroplane - but I suspect it will take a couple of apprs in either a stimulator or an aeroplane.

I did my initial endorsement on a King KLN 89, which I found less than "friendly" to use. I would suggest that if you can find a school with Garmin GNS430 - go for it. I find the 430 much more intuitive to use.

Cheers

Dr:cool:

CAO 40.2.1

13.6 In spite of paragraph 13.3.4, the holder of an instrument rating may use the GNSS when exercising the authority given by the rating:
(a) as a primary means of navigation; or
(b) to obtain position fixes;
if the requirements of paragraph 13.7 or 13.8 are met in relation to the holder.

13.7 For the purposes of paragraph 13.6, the requirements of this paragraph are met in relation to the holder of an instrument rating if:
(a) he or she has satisfactorily completed a course of training in accordance with the syllabus set out in Appendix IV conducted by:
(i) CASA; or
(ii) a training and checking organisation approved under regulation 217;
or
(iii) an instrument school; and
(b) 1 of the following sub-subparagraphs applies:
(i) if the training was conducted by CASA — CASA is satisfied that the holder is competent to use GNSS when exercising the authority given by the holder’s instrument rating and has made an entry in the holder’s personal log book to that effect;
(ii) if the training was conducted by a training and checking organisation a check pilot in that organisation is satisfied that the holder is competent to use GNSS when exercising the authority given by the holder’s instrument rating and has made an entry in the holder’s
personal log book to that effect;
(iii) if the training was conducted by an instrument school — a nominated person within the meaning of paragraph 13.9 who is employed by, or working under an arrangement with, the school is satisfied that the holder is competent to use GNSS when exercising the authority given by the holder’s instrument rating and has made an entry in the holder’s personal log book to that effect.
13.8 For the purposes of paragraph 13.6, the requirements of this paragraph are met in relation to the holder of an instrument rating if CASA:
(a) is satisfied that the holder has received training in the subjects set out in the syllabus in Appendix IV

Appendix IV details the ground course syllabus.

SemperFly
7th May 2007, 04:45
DM777

Did mine recently on the Garmin 430 at Redcliffe Aero Club. Pretty painless, half a day on theory and regs and a play with the Garmin Sim.
www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html (http://http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html)

hoss
7th May 2007, 07:26
Wow, things must be getting bad for QantasLink. To increase the 'pool of potential candidates' why dont they get rid of the HSC requirement, what does it prove, really? If the company did some research they would discover that their best performing pilots probably left school at fourteen!

As for the psychometric and skills test, lose it and double maybe triple the candidates immediately. I would love to expand but fear my words may result in the thread being closed. However, consider this. You pay a significant amount of money for your testing and therefore you own the results. Why cant you demand for the results to be given to you to check that an error has not been made and to self improve for future testing? This could be interesting from a legal/consumer perspective.

Lose the BYO DHC-8 stamp and things get even better but it looks like they will go for the 'risk assessed affordable safety' reduced experience option. I think the management are going to get very busy with ASIRs, SORs,FOQAs, FRs etc.

Bummer, the bloke in who handles a lot of this is off to KA.

ps. if you want to go to JQ it may be easier in another airline but if you have your eyes set on Hong Kong, apply here http://qantaslink.bfound.net/det-ent...&CoId=189&rq=1

Good luck :)

grrowler
8th May 2007, 06:23
nungry,
A Contract company has secured a number of Captains to come here from O/S, later this year, to cover some KNOWN shortages.

Whatcho talkin bout willis?! Are you serious?

I'm sure plenty would be interested in hearing more about that one.