PDA

View Full Version : BBMF - A force for good?

AED24
4th May 2007, 20:17
I have just watched a wonderful programme on BBC 1, 30 minutes dedicated to a very positive view of BBMF. I'm sure forum members will recognise many of the featured characters. Given the many negative messages around at the moment, I found this programme to be a breath of fresh air and a timely reminder of why I joined up over 30 years ago - more importantly, why I am still hanging around. Did anybody else tune in?

Nozzlefaff
4th May 2007, 20:38
Brilliant!

Junta Leader
4th May 2007, 20:45
Great to see the aircraft, the boys and some great history on show. Always impressed by the way they keep the cabs in the air year after year. May they continue to do so for many years to come...:D

JL

midsomerjambo
4th May 2007, 21:30
I don't know anyone, service, ex-service or civvy that would have a bad word to say about the BBMF (and for the most part the Arrows too - but that's another story lol). Who wouldn't be prepared to offer up their starboard gonad for an opportunity to be a member of that team?

High_lander
4th May 2007, 21:39
Where I was sat at work (and because I am a civvy Admin/IT-Monkey) I was able to watch the BBMF on News 24.

The RAF guys got some stick from the Dark Blue side, but no one could deny it looked grand. Espescially the chase sequence with the Hurricane leading the 3 Spits.

Cracking.:ok:

Seen them for real. Now, to see the Vulcan

midsomerjambo
4th May 2007, 22:04
Ah, the Vulcan - any other ex-Vulcan groundcrew out there? Absolutely no disrespect to BEagle, Pontius and the other intrepid tin triangle aviators for whom we sweated blood (and that funny red stuff they used to bring back in white plastic mock-weave demijohns from Akrotiri). Hey, scuffers - you can't catch us, scudding round the peritrack from foxtrot to the threshold and back again 'cos our mini's faster that yours lol.

fireflybob
4th May 2007, 23:46
I watched this programme with much pride for my country and all those young people who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can now enjoy freedom.

It also reminded me of my father who was a flying instructor during WW2. He always told me they could not train the new pilots quick enough. When I reflect many of those he taught must have been killed in action. Also he used to recite the first verse of the Flying Instructor's Lament.

What did you do in the war Daddy?
How did you help us to win?
Circuits and bumps and turns, Laddie,
And how to come out of a spin!

I hope BBMF continues as long as possible - we need to be reminded of those brave aircrew who did so much for us.

ZH875
5th May 2007, 09:26
Ah, the Vulcan - any other ex-Vulcan groundcrew out there?

There certainly is. I was lucky enough to serve on 50 Sqn 1979-1984. Last Vulcan squadron to operate from Coningsby, Scampton and Waddington.

Just wish I could have gone to the BBMF from there. The only thing that sound better than 4 Merlins in close formation are 4 Olympus (non reheated variety).

beefix
5th May 2007, 09:30
Yes there are, I'm one. Eight happy years Crew Chiefing on 44(Rhodesia)Sqn. The mention of Akrotiri brings back some memories. I was on the way back from a weekend Ranger with a pannier full of the cheap and cheerful and the cabin loaded with fruit when Number 3 engine starts chucking oily fumes into the cabin. Divert!! WHAT :{ and loose all the fruit and the goodies in the bay, no way, masks on, toggles down and press on. We landed OK, the 'sooties' wondered were all the oil had gone? I said all over Europe and my lungs. Those were the days:) I saw the BBMF film and was very impressed ,some good news for a change.

threepointonefour
5th May 2007, 12:21
I actually saw me (prat at the back!) twice during the Parky & Smiffy show.

The show was wonderful and perhaps warranted a full hour?!

bwfg3
5th May 2007, 20:05
I must have been sitting next to you threepointonefour! Great show, pity they didn't show the footage of the transit to leuchars airshow seeing as I was wedged against the side window of the Lanc for an hour to let the cameraman into my office!

GreenKnight121
6th May 2007, 00:44
"I don't know anyone, service, ex-service or civvy that would have a bad word to say about the BBMF"

Don't look on the Keypublishing forum then... there are a number of people in the aircraft restoration world who are currently muffed at the growing division within the BBMF between the "glorious flyboys" and the "mere ground-crew".

One of the groundcrew who has long been an excellent and well-regarded "people interface" with the public was kept off this year's Duxford "greeters" list, and some of the fliers actually told questioners at the show that those guys were "just ground crew, you don't want to talk to them".

normally right blank
6th May 2007, 01:20
Serious? Not just "issue" BS-ing?:confused: ;)

threepointonefour
6th May 2007, 10:00
Don't look on the Keypublishing forum then... there are a number of people in the aircraft restoration world who are currently muffed at the growing division within the BBMF between the "glorious flyboys" and the "mere ground-crew".

One of the groundcrew who has long been an excellent and well-regarded "people interface" with the public was kept off this year's Duxford "greeters" list, and some of the fliers actually told questioners at the show that those guys were "just ground crew, you don't want to talk to them".

The unit is like anywhere else, some good, some bad. I never experienced any bad vibes with the groundcrew during my time there.

You have to bear in mind that all the aircrew, bar the boss, are part time volunteers (great hobby!) and not only give up their spare time (no argument there - it was an honour) but have to balance ever more demanding full time jobs with life on the flight. It is quite tricky arranging an afternoon off for 'a jolly' at BBMF, for the ac to go u/s and then 'be available' the next day - imagine your boss's response to a request for 2 afternoons off next week.

And I can't think of any current aircrew flight member who would actually say comments like those above, other than in jest (which apparently is ok, as evidenced by the support for a recent public comedic Telegraph report).

RileyDove
6th May 2007, 20:02
I have scoured the net for groundcrew pictures with the aircraft - where they hiding?

X-Rating
6th May 2007, 22:22
3.14 is absolutely right. Greenknight is a mischievous git.All the aircrew seem good eggs. Didn't see the show at Duxford but I hear the goosebumps were out in force throughout the day but particularly during the big flypasts and the sunset ceremony. Well done chaps and chapesses (air and ground).:D