PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Minimum Experience for Citations?

Bendo
12th May 2000, 07:47
I am hearing whispers of a horse-breeding group in my area changing from a Chieftain to a Citation 550 sometime before the New Year.

They plan to re-train their current driver (about 1600TT, 800 IFR ME, 180 Night..) onto the whistle-stick.

1. Would this pilots experience be adequate to safely operate a Citation?

2. Given that the Insurance Company is insisting on a Sim Course for the crew, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks for your Input :)

------------------
Bendo: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..."

red-belly
12th May 2000, 10:13
Shoot, a CE550 is easier to fly than a Navajo and speeds aren't too different either! :)

Assuming the insurance folks buy off on the pilot's experience, successfully completing a FlightSafety 2-week stint will help assure there isn't a problem -- as long as the egos don't blossom.

StressFree
12th May 2000, 21:53
I agree with Red-Belly, a C550 will be easier than a PA-31, especially in engine out conditions!

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

JJflyer
13th May 2000, 02:16
I had about 450 TT and about 300 Multi when I went to the right seat of a CE525 ( CitationJet ). I found the " Beast " easier to fly than anything I had flown before, also systems were quite simple.
Having over 600 hours of P1 in a Chieftain I can easily agree that the Citation is waaaaay easier to handle in any engine out situation than MTOW or light PA31.
For me it was a nice transition to bigger faster and more complex jets as it's relatively slow speeds gave me enough time to make decicions and plan ahead of the airplane.
I really don't think that the chap with 1600TT would have any problems handling the Slowtation or NearJet... Hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

For the course ... yes FlightSafety is good , but unfortunately their name has inflated the prices... If my memory serves me correctly a CE500 series type run around 16000 USD per pilot ( Don't quote me on this price )... I'd check what SimuFlite or SimCom has to offer and there is also QuickTurn all US based training organisations.

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 12 May 2000).]

Horny Yank
13th May 2000, 14:58
Bendo,
A C550 isn't much different to a Chieftain, like has been said handles fairly well in engine out conditions though hopefully you won't need to experience this. Those hours shouldn't present too many problems in changing from the PA31-C550 but it does depend on the pilot, some guys can transition quickly and well, other's just never quite get it.

Regards, HY's old man...

hansi
16th May 2000, 13:44
If you can get a flightsafety course anytime soon your luck is in. Try San Antonio Texas, it cheaper than Paris even with trans atlantic airfares.(not to relevant to an aussie) the acomidation and living costs are so much better value. And the Texas Land & Cattle restraunt hickory smoked quail is superb. As for the course, the first week of classroom is a total waste of time if youve done a UK Atpl or equiv and can read the notes, but the sim instructors are brill.

[This message has been edited by hansi (edited 16 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by hansi (edited 16 May 2000).]