PDA

View Full Version : IFR safety pilot rates ?

DB6
5th Oct 1999, 22:13
Looking for advice as to what is a reasonable charge for acting as an IFR safety pilot for some people at my local flying club. Generally business trips, one or two days, singles or light twins (e.g. Arrow, Seminole, Aztec).

JJflyer
6th Oct 1999, 08:12
All yor expences including hotels, meals, rental cars and any additional expences you might have . Also some sort of perdiem might be in order, say 20 USD.
Negotiate a good deal for yourself.

JJ

squeakmail
7th Oct 1999, 07:25
Just a thought...and I am NOT saying I'm right with this...but...SHOULD you plan to fly a single engine (Arrow, you said) IFR?

What ya gonna do if it becomes a low performance glider and you can't see out the window...not forgetting the the sudden demise of the donkey will cause an equal demise to your suction system - and a couple of useful instruments.

By the way, if I am right with this (and each pilot will make their own decision) I must be a humongous hypocrit...cause i used to do it, too. Same over water./

My question was only.."should we"?

------------------
Hmmm, should be fast enough - rotate.

DB6
7th Oct 1999, 14:19
Thanks, JJ. Seems it's very much a subjective thing, then. As I stated on R&N, my concern is to hit that happy medium between flying for free and ripping people off.
Squeakmail, I agree with your sentiment but over here in the UK, especially at this time of year, it's very hard to guarantee that the weather won't change in the course of a trip, hence the reason my presence is requested. The trips I've done so far have turned out to be VMC jaunts with me a cheerful sightseer but if the muck draws in... well that's where I would come in.
Cheers DB6

Meeb
8th Oct 1999, 22:31
Just a thought DB, where are you planning to sit on this flight? If you sit in the right seat I suggest you have some practice first (unless you are a QFI anyway). As for the twin flying, thats even more difficult from the right seat, if you do not have a multi instructor ticket I would stongly NOT recommend it I am afraid.

DB6
10th Oct 1999, 21:08
Good advice, Meeb. I just got back from a trip to Glasgow just now, and although I am an AFI (or FI(R) as we are now, I suppose), I erred on the side of caution and sat LHS as we were IFR. Glad I did. And I'm not a twin instructor so I'm not going to accept any twin trips, not until I've a lot more actual IFR experience anyway.
Cheers DB6