View Full Version : Doing ground ops an advantage or disadvantage?

pilotdude09
4th May 2007, 14:32
Hey guys,

I was talking to an instructor who reckons this is a disadvantage if you were to go get a job later on?

Im looking to get out of this **** ass expensive town after a few recent events and i want a job to go to while i do my flight training as im over Karratha and i want to do something aviation related. I thought it would be good knowledge for later in life knowing how the ground side of things work or do the airlines like you to be "dumbed down" in that side of things?

If it isnt a disadvantage what kind of hourly rates does ground ops be it customer *cough* wankers service or dispatch or something offer? I guess they would give you 2 days off which i could do flight training.

What places would be best to try to work with?

Let us know your thoughts........
(hoping i can prove my instructor wrong) :}

The Voice
4th May 2007, 21:41
good knowledge for later in life
If you make it all the way through to the airlines, then don't ever forget the skills you will learn in a job like this, and I think these would apply to any ground ops job. Diplomacy, tact, self control, negotiation,and listening skills just to name a few of the 'skills' that will be rather handy.

a little constructive criticism
does ground ops be it customer *cough* wankers service a thought process such as that will not get you very far at all. SLF can be a little demanding, after all they know so much about aviation don't they? An attitude adjustment may be in order there.

Demontrating a committment to the profession of your choice I think would impress an employer more than being 'dumbed down'.

tinpis
4th May 2007, 22:17
You will require counselling to enable you to engage with normal human groups after your exposure to Karratha

aircabbie
5th May 2007, 02:18
I refer to this comment ,

poorlypaidpilot,

Are they taking the pilots that do the fast track programme?? which would mean they would only have 250-300hrs if that??

So if you have the dough and are a cocksucker your set for a job with skippers?

Seriously if its a way to get a job with some sort of stability and working for an "airline" i guess it wouldnt be too bad.

and now this one

If it isnt a disadvantage what kind of hourly rates does ground ops be it customer *cough* wankers service or dispatch or something offer? I guess they would give you 2 days off which i could do flight training.

First off thay don't do CPL training at KFS so you do have to move on .
That attitude is pretty bad and you have not even started your training .
I also live in Karratha and i know the boys out at KFS , might find out who you are !
PLS note mate , if guys find out who you are , and see comments like that, you will find it hard to get a job. Aviation is a small industry ..

Cabbie:ok:

Guest on Line
5th May 2007, 06:40

From my perspective the disadvantage is you.....

"Damn" some people spoil it for everyone :ugh:

pilotdude09
5th May 2007, 15:00
You will require counselling to enable you to engage with normal human groups after your exposure to Karratha

LOL too true......:}

The wankers thing....long story behind that one after the last few days dealing with jerk off cutomers.....:mad: Usually i enjoy working with people but some just tip you over the edge.

Aircabbie, you work out at KFS?
Its a pain in the ass that they dont do the CPL out there, i was looking at doing the WAAC course or doing the fast track scheme. Still havent decided. KFS just charges so much for a PPL, polar aviation in hedland told me that it was around the 38k mark for up there as well. The WAAC course is only 10 grand dearer and thats everything plus you CPL.

My instructor is actually a friend who is a qualified instructor but went and become a tradesman, has his own plane and everything. Had several lessons at KFS but havent decided if i want to do my full PPL out there yet. And he reads these forums as well and laughed when he read my post!

But geez some of you guys take comments so seriosuly, was more sarcasm than anything but as above had a bad day yesterday!
:)

Towering Q
6th May 2007, 00:15
I'm not involved in flight training but 38k sounds a bit steep for a PPL.:eek:

pilotdude09
6th May 2007, 12:26
I know KFS is approx 36 depending on how many flight hours you need. The guy at polar said 38k depending on all kinds of things however he didnt elaborate.........:}

Thats why i was considering doing courses in Perth or doing a job in ground ops and then doing my training.

aircabbie
6th May 2007, 12:56
Mate i do not work for KFS , Do know the boys there top blokes . Mate we all say stupid things , hell me more than any !!! would like to head down the tambrey the KI have a beer and a chat .. :ok:

PM me

Cheers
Cabbie